British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   some advice on flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/some-advice-flights-769824/)

MrsFychan Aug 28th 2012 10:34 pm

some advice on flights

As most have been out here longer than me I would like some advice on what is the best way to go if I need to book flights back to UK quickly.
I'm going to set up an account that has enough money in to cover flight costs but not sure if it should cover costs for returns or singles. If it singles then I would need to leave some money in UK bank account to get singles back, if its returns how much would it roughly cost to change dates if the need arrives or does that depend on the airline ?

Thanks

dfjordan Aug 28th 2012 11:10 pm

Re: some advice on flights

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10251593)
As most have been out here longer than me I would like some advice on what is the best way to go if I need to book flights back to UK quickly.
I'm going to set up an account that has enough money in to cover flight costs but not sure if it should cover costs for returns or singles. If it singles then I would need to leave some money in UK bank account to get singles back, if its returns how much would it roughly cost to change dates if the need arrives or does that depend on the airline ?

Thanks

The cost of changing a return ticket will depend on the type of return ticket you bought, the airline and whether when you change the date, there are seats on sale at the same price you paid. It can get very complicated. Buying single tickets is extremely expensive and normally you will find it better to buy a cheap return and just throw away the return half.
The sheer fact that you buy a ticket at short notice, will reduce your options of getting a good deal. I would suggest when the time comes to buy the ticket, you check on a site like kayak.com
With regard as to where you need to have money, if you use your credit card to buy the ticket, then all that matters is that you have cash in the country in which your credit card is issued.

MOSO Aug 29th 2012 7:54 am

You've got 3 options: stick a bit of money in a long term deposit here in NZ so that you get good rates of interest anyway and withdraw it if needs be.
Purchase emergency repatriation insurance from a company such as http://www.kindredtravel.com/new_index.html
Use a credit card at the time if you don't have the cash immediately available.

It's probably cheaper to buy changeable return tickets rather than singles.

Glad you enjoyed the sun on the beach today:thumbsup:

MrsFychan Sep 2nd 2012 8:15 am

ok thanks for that, so returns with option to change dates seem to be the best way forward. suppose that means I would have to contact an agent direct and not just purchase from the internet.?

setting up of the account will have to wait another month now as hubby wants to get a BBQ as its now coming into spring. But I must say I do love the idea that from one main account you can create lots of little accounts off of it, great way to sort your money out and quick way to see where it is and what's it for.

dfjordan Sep 2nd 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10259599)
ok thanks for that, so returns with option to change dates seem to be the best way forward. suppose that means I would have to contact an agent direct and not just purchase from the internet.?

setting up of the account will have to wait another month now as hubby wants to get a BBQ as its now coming into spring. But I must say I do love the idea that from one main account you can create lots of little accounts off of it, great way to sort your money out and quick way to see where it is and what's it for.

You can buy changeable return tickets on the web; using an agent these days usually costs money whereas via the internet it's free. Also with many airlines if you buy your ticket from an agent, you can't make changes on line. Remember that changeable tickest cost more and you must be very careful to read the rules as firstly you will have to pay a penalty, secondly, some airlines wont let you change the return date once you have taken your outward flight. Lastly and more importantly, you will find in the restrictions that even though you pay a penalty, if there are no seats available at the fare you paid, you will have to pay the difference and that could be a lot of money. Airlines dont like you making changes and thats why they offer cheap tickets with lots of restrictions.
You are far better off to find the cheapest restricted return ticket available at the time you want to travel, then throw away the return half and buy a new return when you wont to come home and dump the return half of that one.