British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   SOLICITORS FEES!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/solicitors-fees-657257/)

AngelaandJim Mar 1st 2010 4:25 pm

SOLICITORS FEES!!!!

Got an invoice from my solicitor today for signing about 10 sheets of paper I nearly fell over he has charged us £287.50:eek: So phoned my Accountant who has signed all the rest but wasn't available the day I needed the last few sheets done and asked him what he has charged me he said NOTHING! I'm disgusted with my solicitor to say the least :sneaky:

Angela

simonsi Mar 1st 2010 6:01 pm

Re: SOLICITORS FEES!!!!

Ours charged £5 for swearing an affadavit and £1/page for certifying copies.... you don't have a lawyer, you have a true shark!

AngelaandJim Mar 1st 2010 6:31 pm

Yip the greediest one in it :frown:

Jan n Neil Mar 1st 2010 9:47 pm

It,s normally a fiver a page i think, but our solicitor said that would be way to expensive and charged us 30 quid the lot, u been shafted I,d tell em to f**k off your leaving the country after all

Neil

Genesis Mar 1st 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8384615)
Got an invoice from my solicitor today for signing about 10 sheets of paper I nearly fell over he has charged us £287.50:eek: So phoned my Accountant who has signed all the rest but wasn't available the day I needed the last few sheets done and asked him what he has charged me he said NOTHING! I'm disgusted with my solicitor to say the least :sneaky:

Angela

Complain the the Bar Council about his overcharge. I am currently doing the same thing with a podiatrist. Failing that pay what YOU think is reasonable. But I would not pay it as it is and point out in a letter as to why you are refusing. By the way did you not enquire of their charges before they put very expensive pen to paper? As someone said you are doing the off. Normally I would pay all bills..but not rip offs. They don't get paid.

AngelaandJim Mar 1st 2010 10:02 pm

I have to him to f**k off recently over the charges for selling the business (non sale) I was to angry to to phone him today but even phoning him costs an arm and a leg :frown:

I didn't cause I didn't think it would be anything like that ( I know I'm a silly mare)

How do I contact the Bar Council ?

Angela

Persephone Mar 2nd 2010 12:30 am

That's exorbitant, was he just certifying copies or doing something more than that. I was charged £2 per certified copy-degree cert, registration cert. I had to pay £30 for 15mins for a notary public to sign one document [a normal solicitor would not do for that one:frown:] That was just to sign copies and sign and check a occupational registration form. So £287.50 sounds a hell of a lot, any chance of phoning his receptionist [when you calm down;)] and get her to detail why you've been charged so much? Surely you won't be charged for that call:unsure: Then complain!

Genesis Mar 2nd 2010 12:34 am

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8385432)
I have to him to f**k off recently over the charges for selling the business (non sale) I was to angry to to phone him today but even phoning him costs an arm and a leg :frown:

I didn't cause I didn't think it would be anything like that ( I know I'm a silly mare)

How do I contact the Bar Council ?

Angela

Just Google the bar council UK. Sweet as.

mt_123 Mar 9th 2010 2:19 pm

You should make a formal complaint in writing to the firm and if it's not resolved complain to the Law Society of Scotland (if he's a Scottish solicitor).

AngelaandJim Mar 9th 2010 2:59 pm

He's a partner so don't think making a complaint to the company would make any difference but maybe contacting the law society would