Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sole Trader AND employed?

Sole Trader AND employed?

Old May 23rd 2010, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Question Sole Trader AND employed?

Do any of you good people know if you can be employed (by your employer) AND also set yourself up as a Sole Trader at the same time?

Do you just add your Sole Trader profit/losses to your personal tax return or do you have to set them up and coomplete them as two completely seperate things?

Any help appreciated
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:11 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sole Trader AND employed?

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Do you just add your Sole Trader profit/losses to your personal tax return
Pretty much yes.
It makes more sense when you get the tax return.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Pretty much yes.
It makes more sense when you get the tax return.
Thanks for that - does that mean you can be employed and a Sole Trader at the same time?
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that - does that mean you can be employed and a Sole Trader at the same time?
I did exactly that for the past 10 years... I was self employed (as a sole-trader) but also ran my own Ltd company of which I was an employee (albeit as a Director).
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:24 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Haze is employed in a salon part time, and mobile hairdresser the rest of the week.
Old May 24th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys ...... I am presently employed full time for a power company but want to set up as a sole trader to run a small business at the weekend.

Is there a section in the IR3 that is for income from being a sole trader (self-employed) or a completely seperate document to fill in? Basically do I need to look forward to one or more tax returns?

Also it looks quite easy setting up as a sole-trader, what is your experience of setting up?
Old May 24th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a section in the IR3 that is for income from being a sole trader (self-employed) or a completely seperate document to fill in? Basically do I need to look forward to one or more tax returns?

It all goes on the same document, first section is your PAYE income and then you go on to declare any other income and related expenses. There's not much to it really.
Old May 25th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies guys.

Just need to do a little more research / pricing out before I venture out as a SoleTrader!

Is it just a matter of calling the IRD and telling them I want to register as a ST so they have it on their records?
Old May 25th 2010, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies guys.

Just need to do a little more research / pricing out before I venture out as a SoleTrader!

Is it just a matter of calling the IRD and telling them I want to register as a ST so they have it on their records?
You don't actually have to tell them and you don't have to register anywhere as self-employed, unless you are planning on making super huge profits from the get go. Next year they might be interested in assessing you provisional tax (tax you pay as you go, in instalments depending on your expected profits). It's worth giving them a call anyway as they are quite helpful and will even come to see you, to explain what records you need to keep etc.

You only have to register for GST if your expected turnover is likely to go over $60,000 within the next 12 months.

If I were you I would just start doing whatever work it is you intend to do, keep detailed records of all your income and expenses, you have a full year to figure out the tax stuff and might be better placed to assess the situation once you've earned a bit. Making sure to figure out the business expenses you can claim for your home/ car / van if applicable and see how you go.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/business-inco...s/homebus-exp/

The 2010/11 tax year has already started and you'll not have to file anything with IRD until this time next year (the latest date being early in July 11), so you've plenty of time on your side to suss out the finer details.

Good luck!!
Old May 25th 2010, 10:01 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Surprisingly Sole Trader is actually the default state, if you are doing something for gain and don´t have a Ltd Co, partnership and aren´t an employee of someone else then you are a de facto sole trader.

All the other options require something to be done before you are in that state (you need to be employed, or to set up the company etc), because they all give some (different levels) of protection and/or differentiation between the individual and business.

The sole trader doesn´t have any such protection (but in some areas can take out insurance of course) and that is the basic state of the individual in business.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Excellent - thanks guys!

I think I will start up and see how it goes. I won't be getting loans or anything and the investment (small) will be my own cash. Will be quite a small venture and doubt it will go over $60,000 turnover!! although there is always hope

If I don't give it a go then I will never know
Old May 26th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can
I work full time in mental health and also have a small business
that i run on my days off.
The businessis registered as a limited liability company but i could
have gone as a sole trader if i wanted to. for tax reasons it doesnt make difference