Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sold on it........

Sold on it........

Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Sold on it........

Over Christmas we had our first visitor from the UK since we arrived in Late July 07, my wife's good friend from her UK company. She stayed with us for a few days before travelling the country and returning to us for New Year and then flying back to the UK a few days later.

While here we joked that she should look at the possibility of a move and semi seriously my wife made her a job offer which was talked around but we thought no more of it.

Got a call late last night from the UK to say 'i'm back here wondering what the hell i'm doing here, made a decision and i'm moving to NZ.' ....

So 1 visitor so far and 1 new immigrant it seems.......

Got another visitor with us now who's just gone off on the same trip as the first so can we maintain a 100% sell the country method i wonder...?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:17 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sold on it........

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Over Christmas we had our first visitor from the UK since we arrived in Late July 07, my wife's good friend from her UK company. She stayed with us for a few days before travelling the country and returning to us for New Year and then flying back to the UK a few days later.

While here we joked that she should look at the possibility of a move and semi seriously my wife made her a job offer which was talked around but we thought no more of it.

Got a call late last night from the UK to say 'i'm back here wondering what the hell i'm doing here, made a decision and i'm moving to NZ.' ....

Got another visitor with us now who's just gone off on the same trip as the first so can we maintain a 100% sell the country method i wonder...?

You got a job with New Zealand Tourist Board now NiseyOH
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:20 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Would you have the same success in winter? A lot of accommodation is coooold here. That might put some people off.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to all

Hope all our visitors don't wish to move to NZ too

Think we might slow down on the "yes we'd love to see you, come and visit us in NZ".....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you're wife doesn't offer a job to someone who might one day replace her!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happynz
Would you have the same success in winter? A lot of accommodation is coooold here. That might put some people off.
She stayed in some pretty dire accommodation at a chalet complex somewhere on the South Island for Xmas day and we let her know all the down sides we could think of............ she's still coming.

She said she stood waiting for the tube on a Monday morning in a crowded London station and thought 'there's more to life than this'.

Flights back here are booked in May when she plans to sort a house,job etc before moving over in June or July....

Nisey herself is happy as a good friend is no longer going to be on the other side of the world....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Just make sure you're wife doesn't offer a job to someone who might one day replace her!
Best make sure the same never applies to our kids PA i guess.....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Best make sure the same never applies to our kids PA i guess.....
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

My cousin and her boyfriend have just left this morning after 3 weeks in SI and a couple of days here in Auckland with us. They live in London too and would both love to jack it all in and move over here.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, but would these friends be willing to drop their London salaries for NZ ones and NZ taxes?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Yes, but would these friends be willing to drop their London salaries for NZ ones and NZ taxes?
For some folks, it's not all about the money. Let's be honest, most people that choose New Zealand don't do so to make a quick buck.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:31 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

She said she stood waiting for the tube on a Monday morning in a crowded London station and thought 'there's more to life than this'.
I never had a full-time job in London, but I commuted there in the late 80s to do my dissertation. I only travelled there and back (from Northampton) for 3 weeks total, but even back then, and presumably with fewer people in the area than there are now, too, it was horrible enough. As much as I love the Tube as a way to get from A to B, I always get off it quite desperate for a shower!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Some salaries (in certain professions) with the current exchange rates are approaching their equivalent UK and even London levels and the 'overall' tax burden in the UK seems higher than here.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

I did and don't regret it for a minute!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:12 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
For some folks, it's not all about the money. Let's be honest, most people that choose New Zealand don't do so to make a quick buck.
And that's what the immigration service pins its hopes on. I'm so relieved that no-one we knew decided to emigrate to NZ after visiting, I would've felt too responsible for their continued welfare (and rather selfish for not persuading them otherwise)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.