Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

solar and wind power

solar and wind power

Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default solar and wind power

Does anyone have a house that uses wind power and or solar power? Has any one incorporated these in a self build? I have am dream of an eco-friendly house.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: solar and wind power

Originally Posted by nero
Does anyone have a house that uses wind power and or solar power? Has any one incorporated these in a self build? I have am dream of an eco-friendly house.
I don't but my work colleague is currently building a new house here in ChCh which has solar heating incorporated. I can't remember the name of the company, it is a "kitset" home, the foundations are done and it arrives in mid-Jan. Also has many other eco features, to many to list here. Putting solar heating into a new build is easily done, an extra capital expense but worth it.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nero
We are just about to have a solar panel installed to provide us with hot water. They reckon it will provide 75-80% of our hot water needs over a year.
If you are doing a self build your solar panel can have all sorts of extras like under floor heating.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markk
We are just about to have a solar panel installed to provide us with hot water. They reckon it will provide 75-80% of our hot water needs over a year.
If you are doing a self build your solar panel can have all sorts of extras like under floor heating.
Hi Markk, just wondering if you were getting a grant? I remember a thread about this last year where a someone was saying about a grant that's available in NZ to have the solar panels fitted. We've been here 4 months now and when we buy I was going to try and find out if the grants were still available.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by planty
Hi Markk, just wondering if you were getting a grant? I remember a thread about this last year where a someone was saying about a grant that's available in NZ to have the solar panels fitted. We've been here 4 months now and when we buy I was going to try and find out if the grants were still available.
Hi Planty,
They don't do grants as such, but they do do interest free loans over 2/3 years providing you can put down a deposit. Just ask the company doing the work. Cheers,
Mark
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

phate316 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi im a qualified brit solar h/w installation tech and im looking to emigrate to tauranga ive been offered a franchise for a solar h/w company butis 30,000 nzd how well is the solar panel market going, when we visited 2 years ago there were very few places with them and i notice that the nz government is pushing solar and wind power is this showing any affect yet
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:28 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh I just looked up "kitset house" on NZ's Google site.

I wish I could find out how much extra (or less?...) it would cost to go this route.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

Hiya

email this chap:

[email protected]

He's the owner of Kitset homes nz ltd (i know him!), he also founded and ran 'the house company' (and then sold it).

These are the current prices for the kits:

Example prices
Lockable Shell Kitsets

* 2 bedroom 60m2 from $ 24,600
* 2 bedroom 70m2 from $ 25,800
* 3 bedroom 80m2 from $ 29,200
* 3/4 bedroom 204m2 from $ 60,900

Complete Home Kitsets

* 2 bedroom 60m2 from $ 39,200
* 2 bedroom 70m2 from $ 40,700
* 3 bedroom 80m2 from $ 46,000
* 3/4 bedroom 204m2 from $ 84,000

and they can also supply builders and I think project managers should you need them!

SF
Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:44 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Ooooh I just looked up "kitset house" on NZ's Google site.

I wish I could find out how much extra (or less?...) it would cost to go this route.

Maz try this one hun, prices included

http://www.a1homes.co.nz/index.html

Got my eye on one (or 2) if we can find the right plot
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:04 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: solar and wind power - LTBV

Originally Posted by phate316
hi im a qualified brit solar h/w installation tech and im looking to emigrate to tauranga ive been offered a franchise for a solar h/w company butis 30,000 nzd how well is the solar panel market going, when we visited 2 years ago there were very few places with them and i notice that the nz government is pushing solar and wind power is this showing any affect yet
Hi,

I worked indirectly in the business (electronics side) but not purely in that market. My game is sales & marketing.

I do know that the whole market is huge in Australia (more sunshine than NZ).

Wind power is another side and seems to be filtering slowly into the residential markets.

Wind farms though are becoming more popular.

If someone can invent technology to convert rain into electricity I am available to invest!

I spent a few years in South Africa and the solar market there was big.

My advice to you is be VERY careful buying a franchise, especially if (a) you are intending to immigrate on a LTBV (b) lots of Brits ( and ex SArs) have lost money here in NZ buying businesses.

See my post earlier to another member re the LTBV. You are also welcome to PM if you would like further input.

Cheers & good luck.

PS: NZ is a great place & Tauranga is beautiful, it is worth the effort to get here.

PPS: As a thought, it may be an idea for you to capitalise on your position right now and look to see if you can secure an agency or so for a good product for this market. Remember that the Oz market is very serviceable from NZ and most NZ companies look to grow into Oz. Ideally you would need to get agency rights for NZ and Oz.
Maybe worth your while….