Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sofa Ridden 13 year old - Any Ideas?

Sofa Ridden 13 year old - Any Ideas?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sofa Ridden 13 year old - Any Ideas?

Daughter with broken leg ... 1 week in to 6 weeks of full cast on - bored out of her brain.

She doesn't want to go out in public as she thinks she looks stupid, but she is so fed up.

I suggested cinema - NO!
Shopping - NO (bizarre but true)!
Visiting people - NO!
Hairdressers - Double NO!

Any suggestions?

MIL is here for 2 weeks maybe she could teach her some oldy worldy crafty thing like crocheting a hanging basket for a spider plant?

Any ideas?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:52 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sofa Ridden 13 year old - Any Ideas?

Does she like scrabble, I'll give her a game tomorrow, but I don't want tears when i win, always tears in my house, , I show no mercy ,,,,,,,well i might seeeing as its a special circumstances.

We could teach her some card games, now stop yawning , she may love cards,,,,,,,,,,,,,or not.

Has she got PSP handheld game thingy ??
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, its not fun having a broken leg... Ive broken my left one twice now.

I'm wondering if its just too soon to suggest much at the moment... you feel really grumpy when you have this to cope with....and you do feel a bit of a muppet to start with when youre out in public. Maybe she will change her mind in a few days or so?

Is there any favourite books or magazines you can get her? Laptop computer she can use to play online games? Sorry I cant remember how old you said she is. Handheld games? Favourite videos? Can she talk on the phone to her friends?(who might be able to persuade her to leave the house?)

Sorry Im not much help but I sure know how she feels. I did a proper job on my leg second time around and actually smashed my foot off, so it was only attached by skin and tendons... I had it put back on by a brilliant surgeon and can do most things now. Good luck!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Daughter with broken leg ... 1 week in to 6 weeks of full cast on - bored out of her brain.

She doesn't want to go out in public as she thinks she looks stupid, but she is so fed up.

I suggested cinema - NO!
Visiting people - NO!

Any suggestions?

MIL is here for 2 weeks maybe she could teach her some oldy worldy crafty thing like crocheting a hanging basket for a spider plant?

Any ideas?
Online Poker!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

I suggested cinema - NO!
Visiting people - NO!

Any suggestions?

Any ideas?
What about jewelry making? I took it up as a hobby when recovering from an operation last year. It began as a sanity saver but I've ended up selling most of what I've made and people are now placing orders.

It didn't cost too much to get started and you can find lots of free patterns/instructions on the internet.

Or, what about an on-line course in something she's interested in? I've also done a couple of those and you can work through at your own pace, you can also access various colleges in the UK.

Good luck!

Last edited by Happy Wanderer; Apr 15th 2008 at 2:30 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:54 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a good idea, Warehouse sell starter its for necklace making, complete with measuring thingy, beads, wire, tools and a glass pendant. Quite pretty actually!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Cross stitch is easy to do and you can get little kits complete with needles, fabric and threads. Check out Spotlight for kits and Whitcoulls for magazines on the subject for inspiration.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

How about tidying her room? For most teenagers that's got to be at least two weeks work! 1 Day to do it, 13 to moan about doing it!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:36 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Scrapbooking?

I assume homework is a no-go zone.

Otherwise, ring up one of those dodgy companies that get people to envelope junk mail at like $1 an hour. Slave labour is a great incentive.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Skiing in the South Island ! May be not

Get her to do the cooking, give you a break.

Poor girl she must be bored silly. Im not really much help, cant think of anything.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:54 am
Just Joined

yorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura about

If your really going nuts with her at home call ACC as when my fantastic 7 year old broke both his arms at Christmas(Trampoline-Fence-Sprinkler system-and inability to fly-before anyone asks:curseThey paid for a full time carer for him at school,due to him not being able to eat,wee,drink,scratch bum and all the other horrible things small boys have to do on a regular basis.The teacher found enough people who help at school who were willing to do for pay and I returned to my happy life
PM me if you want more details and we can catch up for coffee at the same time
Also Amloolah is so right about Tauranga Hospital.I can only say they were FANTASTIC Its the 2nd time in 3 1/2 years we have had to go and on both occasions they were quick,helpful,with friendly staff and we felt more than happy with the treatment.
Yg
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:39 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yorkshire girl
If your really going nuts with her at home call ACC as when my fantastic 7 year old broke both his arms at Christmas(Trampoline-Fence-Sprinkler system-and inability to fly-before anyone asks:curseThey paid for a full time carer for him at school,due to him not being able to eat,wee,drink,scratch bum and all the other horrible things small boys have to do on a regular basis.The teacher found enough people who help at school who were willing to do for pay and I returned to my happy life
PM me if you want more details and we can catch up for coffee at the same time
Also Amloolah is so right about Tauranga Hospital.I can only say they were FANTASTIC Its the 2nd time in 3 1/2 years we have had to go and on both occasions they were quick,helpful,with friendly staff and we felt more than happy with the treatment.
Yg
Oh, you have to expand on this story! I shouldn't laugh but it can't be helped!

We had a scrabble off this morning with Marika and Julie, bizarrely I purchased some jewlerry making stuff a couple of weeks ago to try and flog some old costume stuff that I thought I'd remodel??!! There in a drawer somewhere! Talked to her last night and she quite fancies getting the material box out and the sewing machine and making all of the kids some named laundry bags which we'd meant to do 11 months ago! MIL willing to help. They spend all day doing the tedious preparation, I come in at the 11th hour with glass of wine to tell them "Not Like That ..." and then take all the credit!

Thanks everyone - Hubby liked the online poker suggestion.

Yorkshire Girl do you work or are you free for coffees/wines etc?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Am Loolah,
I found some quick cross stitch kits that came as freebies with a magazine showing little cartoon ginger cats - if you PM me your postal address, I'll post them to you.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:10 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
What about jewelry making? I took it up as a hobby when recovering from an operation last year. It began as a sanity saver but I've ended up selling most of what I've made and people are now placing orders.
Have to agree here it's ace fun. I go to a lady that has a wee work room with about 25 gazillion beads and everything you need, a few of us go regularly and its such good fun.
I'm sure I've seen bead sets somewhere.

good luck
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Oh, you have to expand on this story! I shouldn't laugh but it can't be helped!

We had a scrabble off this morning with Marika and Julie, bizarrely I purchased some jewlerry making stuff a couple of weeks ago to try and flog some old costume stuff that I thought I'd remodel??!! There in a drawer somewhere! Talked to her last night and she quite fancies getting the material box out and the sewing machine and making all of the kids some named laundry bags which we'd meant to do 11 months ago! MIL willing to help. They spend all day doing the tedious preparation, I come in at the 11th hour with glass of wine to tell them "Not Like That ..." and then take all the credit!

Thanks everyone - Hubby liked the online poker suggestion.

Yorkshire Girl do you work or are you free for coffees/wines etc?
Hi hows your daughter and leg? Would she like a 'penfriend' back in the UK? We are hoping to end up in Tauranga / Papamoa in about 12 - 18 months when our daughter Harriet (14) finishes school. She could do with chatting to someone about life in that area as she is typically changing her mind every 2 minutes about moving out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.