Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Social Workers in NZ

Social Workers in NZ

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Workers in NZ

You will probably know more than me about NZ social work as I have not lived in NZ for 8 years, but I thought I would add my 2p. I am a kiwi (and NZ trained SW) working in London at the moment, hoping to return to NZ in the near(ish) future.

There have been lots of positive comments made about Kerry and Nan, I think as an overseas applicant you might benefit from their knowledge about the system and the jobs. It's worth giving them a call or an email to find out some more information.

I have been watching the job market quite closely (specifically in Wellington and Dunedin) and jobs are pretty thin on the ground!!! Christchurch seems to have the odd job come up now and then. Just to add to that I usually only look at Child, Youth and Family website as I am mainly interested in statutory work. There are jobs with NGOs and voluntary agencies such as fostering agencies but the pay is low compared to statutory work. Although New Zealand does not seem to be as affected by the recession as the UK (for lots of reasons), but it does seem to have hit and I am sure the public sector is tightening up under a National (Conservative) govt.

I think you will have a better chance up in Auckland but that has it's problems. There is no London weighting equivalent, so basically you are on the same crap wage and your living costs are more....Auckland housing costs are high so you need to take that into consideration. Only you can decide if Auckland is for you.

Look at jobs the same way you would in the UK, if there are lots of vacancies there is usually a reason. You could walk into a job tomorrow in South Auckland if you wanted, but it would be a true baptism of fire and not for the faint hearted As you may be aware NZ has a complicated history, you need to know your stuff regarding The Treaty of Waitangi and about Pacific Island communities.

http://www.anzasw.org.nz/

http://www.swrb.org.nz/

I have a couple of kiwi colleagues and they agree that in NZ social work is still a bit more "pure" than in the UK, but remember this is from a kiwi perspective not British...so your interpretation may be different. There is bureaucracy and red tape but I don't think to the same extent as in the UK. Not sure if you have an integrated children's system yet, we do and it is making our life hell. All I do is write reports and type things up, I miss the direct work with families. I am really fed up with the system here, but I do expect to be just as frustrated with the social work in NZ. Having said that I really enjoy my job, I have a great team and it is VERY family friendly at the moment so to a point loathe to rock the boat

You really need to understand the history of NZ to understand how NZ works as a society, not just from a social work perspective. We have some of the highest child abuse and domestic violence rates in the world (per capita) but also some pioneering practice in social work (family group conferences - although I think they are thought of as ineffective now???? not sure).

If you were willing to consider youth offending and or residential social work then you may have more options Residential social work is not as hectic as it is here, but you still see the grim side of young people coming from very damaged families. On the whole most residential social workers are qualified social workers (there are exceptions but that is a whole other post). I really enjoyed residential but then I was working in a very small unit with only 8 beds and we really got to do proper social work within statutory framework. i loved it and would love to go back to that (even working shifts!!!!)
You could also look at the Dept of Corrections and/or Probation work as well, good career options. I had a friend who worked as a probation officer and has worked her way up to a fancy job in Wellington, but they seemed to have good systems.

Right, I think I have blathered on enough here. I am sure some people on the ground in NZ have filled you in on the actual social work job.

Good luck

Forgot to say and probably most importantly, NZ social work is from the perspective that a child's welfare is paramount (as in the UK) but there is more focus on children staying within families. No adoption really in the NZ system, more along the lines of special guardianship order and long term fostering in the UK. The system has it's faults and frustrations, it is a different way of working but am sure you will adapt!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Many thanks for your advice. I'm a realist and need to know the 'bare bones' of the job. I am aware of cultural issues after working in NZ previously but obviously not from a statutory perspective. Everyone is singing from the same song sheet in regards to pay - how bad are we talking in regards to the UK equivalent?? Knowing where to work is a real issue for me at the moment. Large cities can be better as they can have more community based resources but also really bad problems with high case loads/stress etc. Also work life balance is important as for everyone when considering moving overseas. I don't want to live in a really expensive area, that was one of the reasons we stayed in the south island as we believed it to be cheaper. Do you have any knowledge of Tauranga or Hawkes bay area?

Would you agree that if you're known or recommended you've got a better chance of a job? I was previously in touch with Nan and Kerry (when their services were free!) and when the ball starts rolling I will contact them again. They offer more than a job which is why I'm still probably going to re-refer to them. One thing I keep mulling over is, is it out of the frying pan into the fire? Grass is always greener etc. I work for a good local authority at present but ICS is a nightmare - might as well be tied to the computer! It took me a long time of working bad authorities to get to where I am now - had to do a lot of research - hence my post!

Appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts - it all helps.

Last edited by Scousebird; Jun 22nd 2010 at 8:46 pm. Reason: forgot a sentence
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaynor75
Many thanks for your advice. I'm a realist and need to know the 'bare bones' of the job. I am aware of cultural issues after working in NZ previously but obviously not from a statutory perspective. Everyone is singing from the same song sheet in regards to pay - how bad are we talking in regards to the UK equivalent?? Knowing where to work is a real issue for me at the moment. Large cities can be better as they can have more community based resources but also really bad problems with high case loads/stress etc. Also work life balance is important as for everyone when considering moving overseas. I don't want to live in a really expensive area, that was one of the reasons we stayed in the south island as we believed it to be cheaper. Do you have any knowledge of Tauranga or Hawkes bay area?

Would you agree that if you're known or recommended you've got a better chance of a job? I was previously in touch with Nan and Kerry (when their services were free!) and when the ball starts rolling I will contact them again. They offer more than a job which is why I'm still probably going to re-refer to them. One thing I keep mulling over is, is it out of the frying pan into the fire? Grass is always greener etc. I work for a good local authority at present but ICS is a nightmare - might as well be tied to the computer! It took me a long time of working bad authorities to get to where I am now - had to do a lot of research - hence my post!

Appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts - it all helps.
No probs!!

I am not 100% on pay but I think the starting wage is $42,000 but I would imagine you would get more than this due to your experience. I really don't know how they grade the pay over there i.e whether you have to start at the bottom for NZ experience then work your way up (quickly I imagine). Sorry, not much help there. You will never earn the same amount of money again as you will in the UK, unless you move into management, policy or similar. My friend in Welly is earning I think about $80,000 - 90,000 but it is policy based not field work at all.

Hawkes Bay and Tauranga, I don't have any experience of. They are both fairly small and I would say that jobs are few and far between. I think
Bolton1 is in Tauranga or close by???

I really think you need to decide where you want to live first and then concentrate on the job. Unfortunately your dream job is not just going to pop up for you straight away, and it is very unlikely that you will get a great job in a great location from overseas. As you probably know NZ can be more of who you know, not what you know, you need to get on the ground and get known. Are you able to do a recce? I am sure people at CYF etc would be happy to meet with you. The other problem is if you get into a crappy job it isn't as easy to move around, however, as you and I know good Local Authorities are also hard to come by. I really like my LA but it is more a case of "better the devil you know...", rather than their outstanding treatment of their workers!!! ha ha
I really, really hate ICS, it is dreadful in our dept, we haven't got half the modules we need so we end up having to do most things twice - once for a paper file and then on ICS....go figure. I thought it was supposed to make our lives easier. Even 8 years ago the CYF system seemed more up to date, but then that could be purely a numbers thing!!!

For what it's worth I am apprehensive about going back to NZ and the job I will get, but I think that just comes with age....and children!!! One thing I worry about is lack of anonymity, but the longer I live here the more clients I bump into. In NZ that is just life, not much choice in a small city! I definitely realise that it is going to take some time for me to find the right job, I just accept that I will never be rich being a social worker....time to open that cafe/coffee shop I have always dreamed of!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gaynor75
When I was in NZ I got the impression that the jobs were harder to come by for non-NZ residents and I think it's fair enough to offer to their own first. Would you say an agency would be better to go with? In your opinion is the statutory social work as hard as the UK i.e. work for nothing, be extremely stressed but governed by so much red tape and don't see your own family due to all the hours you're working??! Don't want to jump out of the fire into the frying pan.
I have to admit my knowledge is all second hand so I’m probably best not to try and attempt to go down the differences in the legislation/red tape etc. My girlfriend is a Manager (as of a year ago when she got a promotion) in a Social Work team in London, and back in October 2009 she tried to get work in NZ just as a normal Social Worker but couldn’t. She spoke to a recruitment firm who can get you phone interviews and seem to know what they’re doing but barely anything came up. The only roles that seemed to constantly come up were either heavy end child protection or a role in some sort of Call Centre for Social Workers in Auckland. Even the Banardos jobs and similar on horrendous pay that came up wouldn’t consider her! But this was again down to there being a much greater pool of local applicants than ever before. Come March this year nothing had surfaced so we decided as we had some important weddings this summer to postpone things until the last one was out the way in October and then either have another crack, or look at Aus, where our research has shown, the pay is far closer to UK levels.

The parts I can answer are, yes use a recruitment agency if you want a job to go out to but do it yourself if you’re comfortable going there without anything setup. That was the advice given to my girlfriend by two Kiwi social workers who recently left her team to go back to NZ. And yes you’re quite right they should protect their own job market first, I think the main point I was making, was before the recession and the decline of the pound, NZ employers had to look overseas because they didn’t have any choice of local applicants whereas now a lot of graduates instead of going overseas to work or take a year out are going straight in to Graduate Social Worker schemes in NZ. Like the UK the employers in NZ have to advertise their roles legally but always end up at the moment filling them with these internal candidates as logically they’ve already spent the money training them up so it makes sense to push through with that investment.

The other advice passed on by these “returning Kiwi’s” was the hospital roles are the crème de la crème of NZ social work and about the peak earning power initially is $60k per annum (£28.5k per annum). Although on average they range from $40-50k (£19k-24k). With the charity jobs being even less (ie Barnardos).
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

"[QUOTE=dannigirl;8649671]

There have been lots of positive comments made about Kerry and Nan, I think as an overseas applicant you might benefit from their knowledge about the system and the jobs. It's worth giving them a call or an email to find out some more information."

Just on this, I don't know if this is a reflection on the times, but Nan is no longer with this recruitment team, and I think they've now gone from a team of 3 to a team of 2. I think this may be a reflection of the times and the change in the need for NZ Social Work having to look overseas to fill its placements.

Last edited by stuartsummers1980; Jun 23rd 2010 at 10:31 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dannigirl
No probs!!

I am not 100% on pay but I think the starting wage is $42,000 but I would imagine you would get more than this due to your experience. I really don't know how they grade the pay over there i.e whether you have to start at the bottom for NZ experience then work your way up (quickly I imagine). Sorry, not much help there. You will never earn the same amount of money again as you will in the UK, unless you move into management, policy or similar. My friend in Welly is earning I think about $80,000 - 90,000 but it is policy based not field work at all.

Hawkes Bay and Tauranga, I don't have any experience of. They are both fairly small and I would say that jobs are few and far between. I think
Bolton1 is in Tauranga or close by???

I really think you need to decide where you want to live first and then concentrate on the job. Unfortunately your dream job is not just going to pop up for you straight away, and it is very unlikely that you will get a great job in a great location from overseas. As you probably know NZ can be more of who you know, not what you know, you need to get on the ground and get known. Are you able to do a recce? I am sure people at CYF etc would be happy to meet with you. The other problem is if you get into a crappy job it isn't as easy to move around, however, as you and I know good Local Authorities are also hard to come by. I really like my LA but it is more a case of "better the devil you know...", rather than their outstanding treatment of their workers!!! ha ha
I really, really hate ICS, it is dreadful in our dept, we haven't got half the modules we need so we end up having to do most things twice - once for a paper file and then on ICS....go figure. I thought it was supposed to make our lives easier. Even 8 years ago the CYF system seemed more up to date, but then that could be purely a numbers thing!!!

For what it's worth I am apprehensive about going back to NZ and the job I will get, but I think that just comes with age....and children!!! One thing I worry about is lack of anonymity, but the longer I live here the more clients I bump into. In NZ that is just life, not much choice in a small city! I definitely realise that it is going to take some time for me to find the right job, I just accept that I will never be rich being a social worker....time to open that cafe/coffee shop I have always dreamed of!!!!
Maybe I need to find where I want to go then wait til I get there and hope my husband finds work first. He's a graphic designer and had a great job there previously. Can I ask what a recce is? I've got a young baby now and that's been the big decision to return. I to dream of opening a cafe/coffee shop - maybe that's where all retired swr's go! It is a massive decision to make just don't want to make a mistake on the work front as cp is far too stressful at times and it's taken such a long time to find a good la to work for.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=stuartsummers1980;8651033]"

There have been lots of positive comments made about Kerry and Nan, I think as an overseas applicant you might benefit from their knowledge about the system and the jobs. It's worth giving them a call or an email to find out some more information."

Just on this, I don't know if this is a reflection on the times, but Nan is no longer with this recruitment team, and I think they've now gone from a team of 3 to a team of 2. I think this may be a reflection of the times and the change in the need for NZ Social Work having to look overseas to fill its placements.
Thanks for all this information it's certainly food for thought. I've worked out in Oz as a swr and had a good experience. Think my husband would prefer there but I'm not so sure as I lived and worked there for a year to. I thought how they worked was good and at the time they were ahead of us in the UK and probably still are!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
I have to admit my knowledge is all second hand so I’m probably best not to try and attempt to go down the differences in the legislation/red tape etc. My girlfriend is a Manager (as of a year ago when she got a promotion) in a Social Work team in London, and back in October 2009 she tried to get work in NZ just as a normal Social Worker but couldn’t. She spoke to a recruitment firm who can get you phone interviews and seem to know what they’re doing but barely anything came up. The only roles that seemed to constantly come up were either heavy end child protection or a role in some sort of Call Centre for Social Workers in Auckland. Even the Banardos jobs and similar on horrendous pay that came up wouldn’t consider her! But this was again down to there being a much greater pool of local applicants than ever before. Come March this year nothing had surfaced so we decided as we had some important weddings this summer to postpone things until the last one was out the way in October and then either have another crack, or look at Aus, where our research has shown, the pay is far closer to UK levels.

The parts I can answer are, yes use a recruitment agency if you want a job to go out to but do it yourself if you’re comfortable going there without anything setup. That was the advice given to my girlfriend by two Kiwi social workers who recently left her team to go back to NZ. And yes you’re quite right they should protect their own job market first, I think the main point I was making, was before the recession and the decline of the pound, NZ employers had to look overseas because they didn’t have any choice of local applicants whereas now a lot of graduates instead of going overseas to work or take a year out are going straight in to Graduate Social Worker schemes in NZ. Like the UK the employers in NZ have to advertise their roles legally but always end up at the moment filling them with these internal candidates as logically they’ve already spent the money training them up so it makes sense to push through with that investment.

The other advice passed on by these “returning Kiwi’s” was the hospital roles are the crème de la crème of NZ social work and about the peak earning power initially is $60k per annum (£28.5k per annum). Although on average they range from $40-50k (£19k-24k). With the charity jobs being even less (ie Barnardos).
Totally agree with your post, it is really tough getting a job from the UK...more and more kiwi's are heading home and local applicants (whether from overseas or not) can usually fill various posts. It really is a case of being present when the job comes up, and making contacts in NZ.
I totally agree with the internal applicants part, haven't heard of any graduate programmes (these must be quite new) but I was employed on contract/on call by CYF at the end of my social work placement there...I just didn't want to hold on until a permanent job came up.

Hospital jobs are good but you have to get a role that suits you. I did one of my placements at a rehab hospital and it would have driven me mad working full time there....quite boring but am sure it would be interesting for someone.

The hard end child protection i.e in South Auckland would raise similar issues as here, I don't imagine life/work balance, pressure of job would be any less stressful compared to the UK.

The call centre is an interesting concept, kind of an in house NSPCC or Childline I guess. Caused lots of debate when it was set up. Maybe there is a link between the call centre and lack of regional jobs, I think all the main referrals go via the call centre and then are fielded out????

Arrrgggh...crikey I am scaring myself!!!

Easy for me to say as I am a kiwi but I think my plan when we go will be to just wing it when we get there. I really believe that you have to decide what is more important - being somewhere you really want to live and find a job (which will probably not be the dream job but you may be able to hold on for a better job if life outside of work is good) or you go for the particular job you want but it may not be in the location you want. With a bit of luck you may get both!!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=stuartsummers1980;8651033]"

My understanding is that Nan has moved on to continue her own studies, I wa offered a couple of interviews with them and offered the first post i went for, so i think there is still a need. The pluss point with CYF was that i was interviiewed for a christchurch post then decided it was better for my OH if we were in Auckland area, when i phoned to let them know, i was told that i could have a job in Auckland area and as it was a statutory agency i didnt need to be re interviewed.
I have to say throughout this process Kerri and Nan were fantastic and still continue to give support when your over there, so i wouldnt hesitate to recomend them to anyone.
I applied independently to approx 8 vacancies and was only offered one interview, unfortunatly this was with a NGO therefore the wages were increadibly low.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killercat
Hey Gaynor,

I am a uk SW about to move to Orewa area, i have been employed by CYF but i wwent through nzsw (see link in previous post) i found them really helpfull, I had to pay a fee but they did all the other work, they set you up with interviews mostly with CYF as they have the contract with them and vol agencies pay poorly. I have also applied for a couple via trade me and seek but have not had a great responce as they want you to be living over their. what part of NZ were you in?
I am in Orewa too and one of my good friends is a social worker working locally. I can ask her if it would be ok for you to contact her if you like?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I am in Orewa too and one of my good friends is a social worker working locally. I can ask her if it would be ok for you to contact her if you like?
hI Michelle and Carl that would be great thanx, does she work for the Orewa branch or Takkapuna?

Jacki
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

hI Michelle and Carl that would be great thanx, does she work for the Orewa branch or Takkapuna?

Jacki
It must be the Orewa branch as she works with another good friend who is a public health nurse, she works locally too! I'll give her a buzz for you
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

It must be the Orewa branch as she works with another good friend who is a public health nurse, she works locally too! I'll give her a buzz for you
Thanx Michelle, will pm you for the low down on the Hibiscus coast lol

Jacki
Old Jun 25th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanx Michelle, will pm you for the low down on the Hibiscus coast lol

Jacki
No problem I look forward to it
Old Jun 26th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

not sure if this was for me if it is yes please and thank you very much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.