British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Social Workers in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/social-workers-nz-672520/)

Scousebird Jun 15th 2010 8:35 am

Social Workers in NZ

Hi

Wondering if anyone could put me in touch with a New Zealand social worker as I want to know more about their ways of working specifically with children and families. I've lived and worked in NZ for 12 months but had to return to the UK just as I was getting linked into this field and lost my contact. I've over 11 years experience and have every qualification required in the the UK! My husband and I are looking at emigrating at the end of next year. Would also appreciate suggestions of areas to live. We previously lived in Christchurch and love the South Island but my husband is a keen diver and wants to explore the places near the beaches in the North - any ideas?! Would appreciate any advice or info. Many thanks.:)

BEVS Jun 17th 2010 5:07 am

Re: Social Workers in NZ

I'll move this to the main forum for you. There are more people around in there.

Justcol Jun 17th 2010 8:27 am

http://www.nzswrecruit.co.nz/

http://www.cyf.govt.nz/

https://jobs.govt.nz/

killercat Jun 17th 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gaynor75 (Post 8633895)
Hi

Wondering if anyone could put me in touch with a New Zealand social worker as I want to know more about their ways of working specifically with children and families. I've lived and worked in NZ for 12 months but had to return to the UK just as I was getting linked into this field and lost my contact. I've over 11 years experience and have every qualification required in the the UK! My husband and I are looking at emigrating at the end of next year. Would also appreciate suggestions of areas to live. We previously lived in Christchurch and love the South Island but my husband is a keen diver and wants to explore the places near the beaches in the North - any ideas?! Would appreciate any advice or info. Many thanks.:)

Hey Gaynor,

I am a uk SW about to move to Orewa area, i have been employed by CYF but i wwent through nzsw (see link in previous post) i found them really helpfull, I had to pay a fee but they did all the other work, they set you up with interviews mostly with CYF as they have the contract with them and vol agencies pay poorly. I have also applied for a couple via trade me and seek but have not had a great responce as they want you to be living over their. what part of NZ were you in?

Am Loolah Jun 18th 2010 5:11 am

You could try PM'ing or emailing bolton1 who is a Social Worker and a lovely lady.:thumbup:

Scousebird Jun 18th 2010 6:57 pm

Hi thanks for your kind replies.

Am Loohlah - I'm new to the site - will I be able to find Bolton1 with ease? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Colandras thanks for the web link - I'm aware of them but it was appreciated.

Killercat - I'm aware of the agency you're linked to - is it Nan and Kerry? I was in contact with them for a while but when I became pregnant and had to put our plans on hold they decided to charge a fee for their services so I don't get their emails anymore! I will contact them again nearer the time as I think they will be my best bet into the field as I know from experience of working in nz - reference or word of mouth is your best bet! I was based in Christchurch - I was involved with setting up a drugs and alcohol referral scheme. The job was pretty poor but my external supervisor was just linking me in to social work when we decided to return to the uk - regrettably. I know that they have a children and families act as opposed to the children act and Maori culture and values influence it lots which I'm really interested in knowing more about. I would be really grateful if you could share your experience with me. Basically I want to make sure I'm not jumping out of the frying pan! I'm hoping the social work over there is better organised than the UK - although my LA is very good in practice. I worked in OZ as a swr for 12 months which was really good and interesting. I love NZ life - except the driving over there. Again thanks for the reply. x

Apologizes if I've replied in the incorrect way!

Am Loolah Jun 18th 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Gaynor,

Sorry, I should have said, you just click on the blue highlighted word and it will magically take you to the link of the person I wanted you to see. Then on the right hand side of that user profile are contact details.

Hope that helps.

Scousebird Jun 19th 2010 9:00 am

Re: Meat Pie Sausage Roll Come On England Give Us A Goal

hi

I hope I've done this right as I am new to the site and still finding my way round. Some kind person replied to my query about social workers in nz and suggested you might be a good person to speak to. I'm a british social worker and who has lived and worked in nz for 12 months and now is looking to go back. I was involved in setting up a drugs and alcohol scheme and was linking into sw but had to go back to the uk therefore never got the chance to work in the field. I've a good idea of the process of being able to work out there but would really appreciate if you could share your experience. What I'm desperate to know about is how social work is out there - the process, legislation etc in regards to children and families. Basically how does it compare to the uk. If you have the time I would really appreciate it or know anyone who could help me. Again I hope you don't mind me contacting you. many thanks.
Gaynor

Scousebird Jun 19th 2010 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8641937)
Hi Gaynor,

Sorry, I should have said, you just click on the blue highlighted word and it will magically take you to the link of the person I wanted you to see. Then on the right hand side of that user profile are contact details.

Hope that helps.

thanks - I hope I've done it right!

lardyl Jun 19th 2010 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gaynor75 (Post 8642576)
thanks - I hope I've done it right!

don't think so as your post ended up on the world cup thread.....;)
would PM you but you wouldn't necessarily see it - as PMs dont always get notified to you by email ;);)

Scousebird Jun 19th 2010 7:00 pm

I haven't been able to send messages but just have now! sorry about that

BEVS Jun 20th 2010 6:36 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8643312)
don't think so as your post ended up on the world cup thread.....;)
would PM you but you wouldn't necessarily see it - as PMs dont always get notified to you by email ;);)

I moved it back here as I couldn't see a relevant Social Worker thread re. Bolton 1.

Scousebird Jun 20th 2010 8:58 am

I've found her thanks!

stuartsummers1980 Jun 22nd 2010 3:06 pm

Social Work in NZ is often 50% or less than certainly London salaries and yet mostly the same nasty child protection work, so you're basically getting paid less money but doing the same hard shift just for better scenery! Also decent non-child protection jobs are almost impossible to come by as there have been less NZ social workers coming over here due to the weakening of the pound and some of the toughening up on UK immigration requirements for those down under. The prime jobs (ie well paid nicer work) are in the hospitals, but these are hard to come by for non-NZ passport holders.

Scousebird Jun 22nd 2010 6:01 pm

When I was in NZ I got the impression that the jobs were harder to come by for non-NZ residents and I think it's fair enough to offer to their own first. Would you say an agency would be better to go with? In your opinion is the statutory social work as hard as the UK i.e. work for nothing, be extremely stressed but governed by so much red tape and don't see your own family due to all the hours you're working??! Don't want to jump out of the fire into the frying pan.