social work in nz

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

eva78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default social work in nz

Hi
me and me oh are planning to move to nz asap. I am a social worker with 1 year exerience in child protection and working at the moment with disabled children.
I was wondering if there are any social workers on this forum who could let me know what sw is like over there. similar to uk and is it easy to get a job ?
Any info appreciated.
P.S. just not looking forward to travelling for 24 h with our 16 months old daughter!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: social work in nz

Originally Posted by eva78
Hi
me and me oh are planning to move to nz asap. I am a social worker with 1 year exerience in child protection and working at the moment with disabled children.
I was wondering if there are any social workers on this forum who could let me know what sw is like over there. similar to uk and is it easy to get a job ?
Any info appreciated.
P.S. just not looking forward to travelling for 24 h with our 16 months old daughter!
Hi Eva and welcome to this site. I don't really know anything about NZ social work but wanted to welcome you.

Do use the search facility as I have seen posts in the past by S/Workers who work in NZ who were quite honest about the difference between UK and NZ working. Make sure you are not wearing the rose tinted specs when researching. Lots of probs there too.....domestic violence etc

Welcome

Last edited by Numptyhead; Aug 2nd 2009 at 1:27 pm. Reason: can't spell
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Hi Eve,
i too am a Social worker for my sins lol but not in NZ yet, i have just booked my medicals and hope to lodge my application soon.
i have only found a few threads on hear re SW but there doesnt appear to be many around.
what area are you looking at moving too?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by killercat
Hi Eve,
i too am a Social worker for my sins lol but not in NZ yet, i have just booked my medicals and hope to lodge my application soon.
i have only found a few threads on hear re SW but there doesnt appear to be many around.
what area are you looking at moving too?
Hi killercat!
Somebody at last!
I am still at early stages as yet as things have been put on hold at the moment for various reasons.
Anyway do you have a job lined up in nz and where are u planning to go?
I found the NZ soxial work recruitment website which specializes specifically finding jobs for sw in nz. Don't know if any good but has been featured in the Community Care. Have you been to nz and do you know anything about sw there?
Regards eva 78
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Hey Eva,

yes i went out last year for a month and loved it, i like the south island best and will be looking around Christchurch area. As for work i met pulse recruitment at the new zealand expo last year and foung them really helpful, there is quite a lot of work around from what i understand excpecially in child protection.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

My Wife is a sosial worker here in the UK and we will be moving to NZ as soon as house is sold ( North Island ). We have PR and have been waiting 12 months now for house to sell but it will one day.
Here are a couple of web sites she uses.

http://www.cyf.govt.nz/932.htm

http://www.anzasw.org.nz/

http://www.swrb.org.nz/

Hope these help

Last edited by PHONEJUNKY; Aug 15th 2009 at 8:20 am. Reason: rubbish grammer
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:48 am
Just Joined

thanks killercat and phonejunky!
keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on.
Are you going into child protection in nz?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanx Phonejunki, wow thats some cat you have there, is he going with you? Eva im not sure what field i want to go into but will be more than likly with children somewhere, what about you? where are you practicing at the moment? im in Portsmouth long term team.