Social Work in NZ

Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

SteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant future
Default Social Work in NZ

Hi,

Would be really interested to know about the experience of any UK SW's who have made the move to NZ please? I am CQSW qualified with Child Protec. and Mental Health (ASW)experience.Any info about work/pay/conditions would be especially welcome.We are hoping to live and work in Wellington/area.My wife is a Primary Teacher and will be looking for work.All info thoughts and info much appreciated

Cheers

Steve+Kate

ps Dee...hope you had a great Christmas! all the best for '08
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Social Work in NZ

I'm leaving this here , rather than move it to introductions , so that your thread has more exposure.

Welcome to NZ BE and karma for arriving to a good Nz cyber place.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Steve, is your nickname related to your name or your location - spent a great afternoon with folks who I studied with in that city a good few years ago!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

SteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant futureSteveDurham has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Social Work in NZ

Thanks Bev-much appreciated!..I posted a "hello" a little while ago since when we have had some good advice already (Cheers Dee!)..now asking for some more specific info about our job prospects as we work on our EOI....Cheers Kate n' Steve
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lardyl...Thanks for your welcome!..we are both from County Durham where we have lived and worked all of our lives..we live in Darlington about 15 miles from Durham City-fab place!- and Kate went to Uni there..I currently work for the County Council so spend (too much!) time at County Hall...Cheers from Kate 'n Steve
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDurham
Hi Lardyl...Thanks for your welcome!..we are both from County Durham where we have lived and worked all of our lives..we live in Darlington about 15 miles from Durham City-fab place!- and Kate went to Uni there..I currently work for the County Council so spend (too much!) time at County Hall...Cheers from Kate 'n Steve
Hi used to get to Darlo on a regular basis, MrsL worked in Stockton and we lived in Sedgefield, we moved there from Ushaw Moor, social climbers that we were!
Good luck in finding your spot in God's Own!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Would be really interested to know about the experience of any UK SW's who have made the move to NZ please? I am CQSW qualified with Child Protec. and Mental Health (ASW)experience.Any info about work/pay/conditions would be especially welcome.We are hoping to live and work in Wellington/area.My wife is a Primary Teacher and will be looking for work.All info thoughts and info much appreciated

Cheers

Steve+Kate

Happy new year Steve & Kate. I Worked all xmas & new year (my choice), did the links help.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Cheers Dee ! hope you did'nt have to work too hard over the Hols. I was on duty too but quieter this year than usual..Thank you very much for the links-very helpful!...will be back in touch again for more advice as things move on if you don't mind?..All the best Kate&Steve
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much L..just goes to show it really is a small world! my mate lives in Ushaw Moor and we were at the seminary nearby a couple of weeks ago- for a training event..('fraid it is too late for me to be ..saved from the perils of drink and women!.)..am bound to be posting here again as we work through the process to-hopefully- start our new life so hope we catch up again soon..

Cheers

Steve
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:01 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Cheers

Steve+Kate

Hi Steve,

I would get your qualifications through to the NZQA, straight away. They have to ensure that your qualification's are "recognised" here in NZ and therefor count as points for any immigration application.

Be warned, though, dealing with the NZQA can be very frustrating and time consuming.

It took 9 months for them to assess my wife's social working qualifications (she works in a similar field as you, but in Sweden), before they said NO!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice
Smile Re: Social Work in NZ

HI Steve, I am also a qualified social worker. I moved to NZ in 2006 and work with the mental health team. I have a degree and which met the NZ requirements, but I am not sure about the CQSW I would recommend you getting it checked out as most agencies ie DHB will ask for it and they will require you to be eligible for registration.

I am on the North Shore, but I pretty much guess that you will find work work wherever you go especially within the mental health or childrens services. Just Keep at it and things will turn up trumps: Your OH will also do well if she has the right Quals.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an OT in NZ - when it was time for me to come over, I was advised to go for NZ OT registration rather than bother with NZQA - the OT board asked for all the same info, assessed the relevance of the UK quals, plus asked for a paper on bi culturalism - once they were happy I got NZ OT registration - when it came time to apply for PR, I stated that my quals had been assessed for OT registration, gave them all my registration info and they never came back and asked for NZQA - this was in 05 so i accept that things have been tightened.

also - i've worked in mental health here in NZ and I understand from SW colleagues that the role is very different, especially when it comes to mental health law - they have a DAO system here, relevant to ASW, which is open to all professionals so ASW's do not have the same kind of status here.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Cheers all for your help!..will be spending some more time tonight on our EOI then keeping our fingers crossed for the next stage..my quals are listed on the EOI site as being worth 50 points so should have 120.. I understand that we can be in the pool for 6 months but does anyone know if there is an"average"wait time before you can be either knocked back or invited to apply for residence?

Thanks again

Kate 'n Steve
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Cheers all for your help!..will be spending some more time tonight on our EOI then keeping our fingers crossed for the next stage..my quals are listed on the EOI site as being worth 50 points so should have 120.. I understand that we can be in the pool for 6 months but does anyone know if there is an"average"wait time before you can be either knocked back or invited to apply for residence?

Thanks again

Kate 'n Steve
Hi Steve, Received your message. Sorry first time user so I haven't got a clue how to PM. I take it that your looking to find employment within a less stressful role/environment? Within SW there is the opportunity to do what ever you want.
Like the rest of 'expats' I came over with the idea of finding a job but also to improve the quality of life. The job that i'm in is less stressful but I work longer hours and the pays crap, but I see more of my family and I don't have debts and worries like I did in the UK. I am better at budgeting and only buy stuff that we need [Healthy Stuff]. In a nut shell its about quality not quantity. I don't compare my life in the UK because for one; in the UK there's a whole different culture, which has many good, but equally bad aspects to it, hence the reason for leaving.
I am currently working for a private company and earn $50,000 but thats because I have no experience in NZ, but don't let that put you off. I would recommend that you argue the socks of for the right pay. If your not looking to take up a position similar to what you had in the Uk expect to earn the above. My only regret is that I should have moved here sooner, but better late than never!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again

Kate 'n Steve
[Six months is about right] I submitted my EOI in July 06 and I was invited to apply in Dec 06. I didn't wait to receive my PR as I wanted to get over here. I got my PR in March 07.

As for your ASW statue, although not recognized here the fact that you've achieved that level employers will be impressed. There is also an opportunity to take the equivalent in NZ, which should be easy for you to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.