Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Originally Posted by Wessa
Holy crap, Im looking at a $70k wage !. Im sure people survive ok on this..
Your wage seems a goodern compared to what ive been told a comfortable will cost as per wages.
$70K with a small mortgage would be fine. Comfortable means many different things to different people.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:29 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Small mortgage....least afforable place in the world to buy a house, the two may not reconcile.

Impossible to say if you'll find it easy to manage on that salary, the more you have the more you spend. No one ever has enough left at the end of the month.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

is vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lexylou
You wont be thanked for saying that you found living on up to $185K can be hard!!! That is double what others live on and they say that they have a great standard of life. We were the same as you - we didnt come to NZ to live to count every penny and we felt we were. We were on a little less than you in terms of salary but really found it hard. We even got into debt. I never believe people that say they are happy living in NZ skimping and saving every cent. No one wants to live like that.

Everything we found in NZ was more expensive than that in the UK and the salaries were never going to get us anywhere.

Great country we just came 25 years too early. Too much of the world to see and too much money to try and make. We could not do any of that in NZ.
i agree,it is a great country and has many pluses......but people should not kid themselves....what is the point of just existing.....
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

is vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really nice

Originally Posted by gill bensemann
hi not sure where in nz you are, but in christchurch you can buy clarks shoes from the shopping centre in bishopdale, there is also a kids shoe shop by hagley park. you will be looking at $80+ for them. they do do from first shoes up.
the shoe shop by hagley,next to burger king car park is very good,only place we would buy shoes for the kids..
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:27 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by is vic there...
i agree,it is a great country and has many pluses......but people should not kid themselves....what is the point of just existing...?
I'm a Buddhist (OK, a half-arse Buddhist, but never mind). I can do existing very well, thanks.

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:28 pm

well you're living in the right place then.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:37 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nerine
well you're living in the right place then.
Cheers. Sarcasm duly noted.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:38 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tan0410
Can I ask...what does that now make the annual cost of wof/mot and rego as the last I was told it was about $80 a year for one car?

Tan
For my car - $180 a year rego.

WOF I'm not sure - about $50? I had mine serviced at the same time and can't remember the itemised costs.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:45 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
......Great country we just came 25 years too early. Too much of the world to see and too much money to try and make. We could not do any of that in NZ.
yeah but anyone thinking of coming now might not want to leave it 25 years as I'd doubt that NZ or Oz will let people in without a passport (or maybe a RRV, ie full perm residence) in 10 or 15 years time.
Maybe best to do the scrimping and saving for 5 years or so and get citizenship, then go away to earn the dough (Oz perhaps?? like lots of Kiwis do BTW) and *then* come back to retire and spend the $$$ saved where salaries are higher
Or am I a really bad person for suggesting this???
Personally I wish that I had spent less of my disposable income when I was in the UK, saved a bit more and had more stashed away for getting us started here......hey, ho - you live and learn
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by happynz
Cheers. Sarcasm duly noted.
No sarcasm. It was a statement of fact.

You're living in the country where a sixth of its children are being raised in poverty and, from memory, it's something like the 4th worst country in the OECD for child poverty.

A lot of its social issues are also linked to low income, lack of social responsibility and over reliance on the welfare state.

Lardyl, a lot of kiwis do exactly that - earn the money in Oz and then return to NZ to retire. Seems like a good plan to me.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:13 pm

No sarcasm. It was a statement of fact.

You're living in the country where a sixth of its children are being raised in poverty and, from memory, it's something like the 4th worst country in the OECD for child poverty.

A lot of its social issues are also linked to low income, lack of social responsibility and over reliance on the welfare state.
Uh-huh.

Lardyl, a lot of kiwis do exactly that - earn the money in Oz and then return to NZ to retire. Seems like a good plan to me.
Why does it seem like a good plan to you? You just revealed some statistics which paint a picture of life being quite awful in New Zealand. Why do you think it is a good idea for anyone to return to retire to such a place as this?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:26 pm

Ermmmm....I wonder if you actually ever read things properly.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I'm suprised how many people think having loads of money is the key to a good life
That's really sad.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/st...ectid=10487928

Housing is the main thing that is expensive in NZ.
Eating out and anything to do with cars is cheap.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jude J
I'm suprised how many people think having loads of money is the key to a good life
That's really sad.
I hear you! Some people value money over happiness. It is possible to not have the latest appliance/fashion/car and still be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.