Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So what would you say is expensive in NZ?

Originally Posted by Wessa
Are there food or general items you've found to be more expensive than you expected in NZ?.
I hear to buy a bit of lamb is! Hows that then?...

Gary.
because NZ ships it overseas! Can't comment on prices really been too long since i was in the uk. Pies are cheap here! Tasty too! and they come with meat...
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:36 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Every now and again they do a $49 special. It's usually $99
Though we're going to cancel ours and get Freeview I think because we only use it to get a decent picture on the free channels anyway.
I was thinking about Freeview too. My TV (being shipped over) can receive freeview, and i seem to recall the set up function allowed you to select PAL, NTSC, SECAM etc etc so I hope fingers crossed I can get it to pick up this freeview.

I went onto the freeview site and I was a bit confused. When it refers to Freeview satellite, that mean i need to buy a dish? I dont think this house has a TV aerial and the site seemed to suggest that freeview through the aerial will become available through 2008. So either way i need to stump up for a receiver of some form!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:43 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I was thinking about Freeview too. My TV (being shipped over) can receive freeview, and i seem to recall the set up function allowed you to select PAL, NTSC, SECAM etc etc so I hope fingers crossed I can get it to pick up this freeview.

I went onto the freeview site and I was a bit confused. When it refers to Freeview satellite, that mean i need to buy a dish? I dont think this house has a TV aerial and the site seemed to suggest that freeview through the aerial will become available through 2008. So either way i need to stump up for a receiver of some form!
Freeview here is satellite only I think. TV aerial reception is pretty poor everywhere I've been here - presumably 'cos of all the hills.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:59 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Dairy products have gone up all over the world in recent months CAN2NZ - my family says the price of butter for instance has become extortionate.

From the Sunday Times last week

Millions of families have seen their cost of living rise by up to three times the government’s official rate of inflation because of record hikes in fuel bills, soaring school fees and a rise in food prices on the supermarket shelves

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...545736,00.html

If you WANT to spend $30 on a bottle of wine you can with no problems whatsoever but Villa Maria's Riverstone is often on special for $8.99/$9.99 and this winery has been voted one of the best in the world by a very influential critic in the US.

I used to pay at least €50 3 years ago in Dublin to have my (short) hair cut - now I can get it done for $35 - by any comparative measure that is cheaper.

I'm with Dreamfish on the choice issue - I too end up dazed and confused when presented with too many choices. Oh, one 'funny peculiar' thing here - it's often more cost effective to buy, say, 2 x 100ml of something rather than 1 x 200ml. It's often because the 100ml size is on special

I'd really recommend anyone with the space to do it to have a veggie patch. Especialy if you like those items that become very expensive out of season. Apart from the savings you'll make, the sense of achievement is seeing something come to life that you have grown yourself is wonderful
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:23 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ned
Nerine is comparing petrol prices (as she does everything) to Australia.
CAN2NZ, well I think the name says it all
Umm...no I wasn't, I was comparing it to what it was when we first arrived and how much it was costing me to fill up my car every 5-7 days, well over 80 dollars. I hear it's gone up even more since I left. By the end of our time in NZ the high price of petrol was starting to curtail many people's lives, not just ours.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:28 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Not just in NZ

http://actnow.com.au/Issues/Petrol_prices.aspx

[I]Petrol prices seem to be increasing every year. However, recently the rise in the cost of petrol has been extreme! As petrol prices continue to soar one big question is lingering in the minds of Australian drivers—to drive or not to drive?

What is the issue?.....................

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 20th 2008 at 9:27 am. Reason: copyright issue per rule 7.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:39 pm
Banned

pioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nice

Lived here long enough now to think everything is expensive

The increase of Vehicle Licensing in July by $50 is going to hit hard with two cars which I guess in comaprison to the UK I would not be owning a 2 ltr let alone two cars. Although the cost of initially buying a car can be expensive there are some bargains around, shot paid $1k for a Backpacker car to last 3 months still got it a few years down the line.

Petrol is a weird one it swings like a yoyo up and down lived here long enough to have seen it fluctuate from $1.30 to under a $1 then up to $1.80 before back down to a $1.40 now up again $1.70. Enough to know to ignore the doom sayers who keep saying its always going up!

No point in comparing to other places I dont live there, I live here and have damn sight better quality of life.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 20th 2008 at 9:27 am. Reason: previously banned member
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:53 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dreamfish

Freeview satellite is available now but Freeview terrestrial (aerial) is going to be available around April this year. The Terrestrial service will be high definition (HD). Satellite coverage is obviously over the whole country, terrestrial is only going to be 75% initially (see the map here). Either way I'm pretty sure your UK Freeview tuner won't work, sorry!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:31 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Umm...no I wasn't, I was comparing it to what it was when we first arrived and how much it was costing me to fill up my car every 5-7 days, well over 80 dollars.
That tells me 2 things:

1. You drive everywhere
2. You have a big gas-guzzler (big tank)

Originally Posted by pioneer7
No point in comparing to other places I dont live there, I live here and have damn sight better quality of life.
Precisely! It took me a little while, but I don't even compare prices to what I paid in the US, France or England anymore.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

my sanity was costing alot.. so i just let it go....
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:50 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Interest rates are high too.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:50 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
my sanity was costing alot.. so i just let it go....
Good man ace!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Internet/ADSL/Broadband (ye right!) is expensive for the download limits you can get, alas we all need to it to keep in touch with everyone!

Food is variable, fruit and veg varies wildly, even from supermarket to supermarket! I love New World ( as I think its the best selection and most british style of the NZ places) but the its cheaper buying some stuff at some of the other places, shop around, same goes for electrical stuff, you just bounce between HArvey Norman, Bond & Bond and LV MArtin (I hate Dick Smith, reminds me of Tandy!) and see what deals you can get...

Magners Cider is expensive as they don't sell it here apart from one place in Welly, where its $15 a large bottle! Buy your alcohol coming through duty free
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

My wife buys our produce from New World. We have found it to be a better quality than that found at Countdown. We have a big Countdown at Church's Corner but the veggie section seems under sized compared to the store size. I like the Fendalton NW store here in Christchurch. It seems a nice clean store. Shopping around helps as was pointed out.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:54 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Interest rates are high too.
Aren't they just! and our money is earning good interest in NZ, I was hoping the rates were going to go up again in the near future but the reserve bank is playing coy again.

Since you mentioned it Ned......petrol is cheap here, can be well under 1.30 a litre, sometimes around 1.24, less if you buy something from the garage shop. $50 to fill up. When I don't feel like driving up to somewhere like Brissy there's an excellent, cheap, integrated public transport system -trains, buses, river cats. Just wonderful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.