Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So what do we do in the last 6 weeks?

So what do we do in the last 6 weeks?

Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future
Default So what do we do in the last 6 weeks?

Hi everyone,
The house is being packed as I post and we have PR (passports with NZIS now). We move in with the inlaws until we leave on Sept 27th.
So what do we really need to do before we leave the UK and just how do we cope with those goodbyes?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:33 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So what do we do in the last 6 weeks?

Pay off all bills and make sure you get confirmation everything's paid as it's a nightmare trying to do it from this end!! You can't call uk freephone numbers from outside the uk and all the utilities only seem to give out freephone numbers to call them on!

Relax, have fun, enjoy your time with friends and family. Get a book that they can all leave a message in for you along with their contact details. And don't worry too much about the goodbyes, there is no easy way of doing it, everyone'll probably cry buckets, and unfortunately that's just the way of such things.

A friend I know ordered flowers to be delivered to friends/family after they'd left. Perhaps you could do the same for the mums/close friends, at least you'd know then they'd have something nice that day to show you care after you've left for the airport.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Hi

Do the things you never got around to. We did a few likegoing to Startford and staying at Shakespeare Hotel 9had always wanted to as it is one of my fav places) we did a few of these things but didn't get around to going to Rick steins restaurant and tripping off to Barcelona. Regret not doing these things as i realise that we aren't likely to now.

How to handle the good byes - very very difficult. Buy lots of tissues. Horrible to do, but worth it in my humble opinion.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
You can't call uk freephone numbers from outside the uk and all the utilities only seem to give out freephone numbers to call them on!.
You can use skype if thats of any use?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mark and kim
Hi everyone,
The house is being packed as I post and we have PR (passports with NZIS now). We move in with the inlaws until we leave on Sept 27th.
So what do we really need to do before we leave the UK and just how do we cope with those goodbyes?
Enjoy your last few weeks with family and friends, we leave in 8 weeks and i am dreading saying goodbye to everyone, liked the idea of sending flowers to family and friends to get to them when you have left. Thought of leaving letters for my best friend. Dont think either of us can cope with saying goodbye

Enjoy your flight

We fly out on the 15th October, Auckland bound.

Annxx
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future

I think the flowers are a great idea and the book for messages and contact details is also a good one. Thanks.
We have a weekend organised in London with friends so we can take the kids to do some London things. I really want to go on a day trip to the Yorkshire Dales to see all my old walking haunts and I also feel the need to go back to some of the places I went to when I was a child although I'm not sure we will get much chance.
Kim
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

theres no easy way to say goobye,its sad,you just have to do it,but once thats done you can move on.........

we never let anyone come to the airport with us,that was better for us....

i've said it befor 1 thing you must do before you go is get everyones teeth done, costs a small fortune here...

had toothache 3 days after arriving ,had to get root canal cost $1,500 ouch

seriously its hard staying with family to,becuse its not your house and its hard to settle,and i've got a mother in law thats worth her weight in gold...

but good luck and enjoy your last few weeks