Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So... UK football... Does it remain this difficult?

So... UK football... Does it remain this difficult?

Old Apr 7th 2007, 4:47 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of
Default So... UK football... Does it remain this difficult?

OK, so let's clear something up. I am a Leeds fan. Yes, yes, yes I know, dirty leeds etc etc - but that's not the point...

I was a season ticket holder for the many many years - no matter where I lived, I would travel to the games when family and worked allowed - both home and away and I ceremoniously handed over this year's season ticket for the remaining fixtures to a friend just before we made the journey to Welly.

I have spent many years indoctrinating my children and am quite proud of the fact that as Leeds imploded on and off the pitch and tumbled down the league, my kids were never once swayed by the hoards of kids that insist on supporting whichever team is winning or doing well at the time. They've picked their team (albeit with a little influence) and nailed thier colours to the mast.

Anyway, for a second week running I find myself up at some ungodly hour, listening to match commentary on the internet and staying up to watch Final Score on BBC World.

So, my question is for those that have a 'team'. I am not talking about your standard football fan - I don't watch a lot of football (yes, yes I know... Leeds and Football are mutually exclusive, ha bloody ha) - and I am not interested in any league that my own team aren't in.

Of course I watch internationals and major championships (World Cup, Euro Championship) - but Leeds are in the champsionship (let's call like it is - Div 2! Bloody marketing men, need a good kicking if you ask me) and therefore don't get much (if any) TV coverage.

With that in mind, I have no real interest in subscribing to the differing sports channels in order to catch Premiership football, so how do those that follow a team outside of the Premiership get their fix..? is it really a matter of staying up through the night once a week to listen to internet commentary? If it is, it's going to kill me.. advice please.

Incidentally... Leeds won today which lifted them out of the bottom three for the first time since November 2006. It may be nearly 5am, and I may have been up all night, but I am a happy man!!

Last edited by Jules & Danny; Apr 7th 2007 at 4:52 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:29 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So... UK football... Does it remain this difficult?

Originally Posted by Jules & Danny
OK, so let's clear something up. I am a Leeds fan. Yes, yes, yes I know, dirty leeds etc etc - but that's not the point...

I was a season ticket holder for the many many years - no matter where I lived, I would travel to the games when family and worked allowed - both home and away and I ceremoniously handed over this year's season ticket for the remaining fixtures to a friend just before we made the journey to Welly.

I have spent many years indoctrinating my children and am quite proud of the fact that as Leeds imploded on and off the pitch and tumbled down the league, my kids were never once swayed by the hoards of kids that insist on supporting whichever team is winning or doing well at the time. They've picked their team (albeit with a little influence) and nailed thier colours to the mast.

Anyway, for a second week running I find myself up at some ungodly hour, listening to match commentary on the internet and staying up to watch Final Score on BBC World.

So, my question is for those that have a 'team'. I am not talking about your standard football fan - I don't watch a lot of football (yes, yes I know... Leeds and Football are mutually exclusive, ha bloody ha) - and I am not interested in any league that my own team aren't in.

Of course I watch internationals and major championships (World Cup, Euro Championship) - but Leeds are in the champsionship (let's call like it is - Div 2! Bloody marketing men, need a good kicking if you ask me) and therefore don't get much (if any) TV coverage.

With that in mind, I have no real interest in subscribing to the differing sports channels in order to catch Premiership football, so how do those that follow a team outside of the Premiership get their fix..? is it really a matter of staying up through the night once a week to listen to internet commentary? If it is, it's going to kill me.. advice please.

Incidentally... Leeds won today which lifted them out of the bottom three for the first time since November 2006. It may be nearly 5am, and I may have been up all night, but I am a happy man!!

You blokes and your weird football addictions. Unless the UK start playing football matches at night, how else are you going to follow them? The internet and radio are your only buddies. Listen mate, bite the bullet and get into rugby, a real man's game
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

I subscribe to "World", available on your clubs website. You get live radio & a day later you get video highlights.
We need Setanta Sports Channel here, as they have in USA, loads of live championship games. They have it in OZ, but its nearly all rugby (most boring game in the world).
Hopefully my team will be on Sky Sports anyway next season!!!
Up the Rams!!!
P.S. Looks like you might get away from the bottom now, but I hope you lose your last game.

Mickey_D
Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:34 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

The simple answer is yes it is bloody difficult.

Outside the premisership you get nothing, and outside of the usual teams (Arse, Chelski, MU, Liverpool) you get the odd game on SKY TV.

I follow West Brom and use AlbionWorld through the internet but this again is limited to broadband speeds. I don't even get the chance to listen live at work.

This is difficult at first but it doesn't mean I don't follow them anymore it is just more dificult and tiring. Although I am glad I didn't get up to watch / listen to yesterdays game.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

davedave4619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to see a fellow Whites fan! I'm still living here in the UK (unfortunately) but my only ideas are that Leeds United TV subscription thing on the leedsunited.com website although I don't know if it allows playback after the match has taken place (but you could of course leave your PC on and record it to watch when you get up) , Sky Sports for the odd one or two matches that they show of Leeds. Glad you and you family still support the best football team in the world all the way from the other side of the globe and yes it was a great match yesterday!
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:27 pm
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

is it really a matter of staying up through the night once a week to listen to internet commentary? If it is, it's going to kill me.. advice please.

You are on the other side of the world, yes its gonna kill ya
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Mate,it's tricky if you aint a prem team. Boopy's fella is a Baggie,and he has similar problems,my wife's a Makem,same thing. I'm sure I saw a weekly Championship programme,but may have been pissed/delirious,check by PMing Boopy-she can put you on To pAUL.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

You have any friends back in the UK who would tape Radio Leeds for you and email it to you?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davedave4619
You have any friends back in the UK who would tape Radio Leeds for you and email it to you?
Can we watch our beloved Tottenham over there???
If not then perhaps I better take the house of the market.

Nici
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kato33
Can we watch our beloved Tottenham over there???
If not then perhaps I better take the house of the market.

Nici
Tottenham should be easier since they are a Premiership Club and therefore on Sky Sports and other football channels a lot more.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:12 pm
Dragging 4 kids with us..

Jules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud ofJules & Danny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by davedave4619
I already subscribe to the club's live commentary and match highlights (highlights is a very strong word) - so actually getting commentary isn't the problem.

Just miss going top the games already, especially as we need all the support we can get at the moment, and I just had some forlorn hope that one of the channels might have a pay per view or subscription system for non-premiership matches.

Ah well... just have to make do with LUTV internet commentary at 2am
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

It's not easy at all. Unless you support a premier league team you've next to no chance of seeing your team live on NZ TV.

BBC Sport is probably your best bet. You can also sign up to premium TV on the web (probably find it on LUFC website) and you can download the highlights from the previous matches. Given how Leeds are doing this might not be worth it at the moment though...

I'm a Wednesday fan and we were on against Man City in the FA Cup. It's probably the only time we'll get screened in years so I took the day off work!

Good luck with avoiding the drop.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Jules & Danny;4611947]OK, so let's clear something up. I am a Leeds fan. Yes, yes, yes I know, dirty leeds etc etc - but that's not the point...

I too am a Leeds fan and can't believe we're out of the bottom three.

"We are so proud and shout it out loud we love you Leeds, Leeds, Leeds"

(well that makes 2 of us then)
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

I too am a Leeds fan and can't believe we're out of the bottom three.

Erm, you're not yet
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Let me get this right there isn't much coverage of football on NZ tv. oh music to my ears, the place sounds better and better every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.