Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So.., tell us about the South Island?

So.., tell us about the South Island?

Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: So.., tell us about the South Island?

Never been to Southland so can't comment, though told it is cold and windy.

A Welsh friend works in a BMW dealership in Hastings and enjoys the work. Does say thay they don't always have the 'special' tools that a dealership would have in the UK. He's on about $22 for a 8am to 5pm working week.

Not all the North Island is rainy. NZ is full of microclimates. Drive 50km in any direction from Hastings and the average temperature will drop several points. Hawkes Bay and Bay of Plenty both very dry. All the grass is brown, whilst Auckland/Hamilton/Northland still lush.

I find that the scenery in South Island more spectacular, though the North Island has gorgeous beautiful scenery.

Some of the returners to the UK should get a life. Have you ever been to Basingstoke? I hated it but I am sure that some people loved the place!
Roger
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:34 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So.., tell us about the South Island?

Originally Posted by feralamber
Think that is a bit unfair!! Lived in a suburb of Perth called Kwinana, for about 5 years and loved it!! However was at school at the time in Safety Bay, so that could account for this!!

Don't suppose you have been to Inverness, Achany or Golspie lately?? Now these are places worthy of that title!!
No. I'll have to take your word for that. It's true I'm no great fan of perth but admit that there's definitely worse places to be. I just don't buy the constant "australia is the best country on earth, and perth the best city ". Statements like that just amaze me with their arrogance and pretentiousness. So I fight back to put "a little balance " in things.

Kwinana and all those suburbs around there like parmelia, orelia, calista are terrorised these days by gangs of little street urchins who prefer throwing rocks at buses (and worse) to doing something more constructive with their spare time.

Think you must have got out at a good time