Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So.., tell us about the South Island?

So.., tell us about the South Island?

Old Feb 17th 2005, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

feralamber is an unknown quantity at this point
Question So.., tell us about the South Island?

This is for anyone that may be able to offer some guidance.

My husband has recently been offered a job with a company called FW McDowall. First thing, is there any other people who are working for this company and can give us an idea of they way they are.

Second thing is that the proposed area of living is Invercargill, Winton, Gore areas of Southland region. We would really like to get some idea as to whether the indication of "improved lifestyle" does really come through. I.e. can we partake in activities easier and are they more accessable or just as accessable as here.

We currently live in Inverness so we are well aware of how far some places can be to get to, therefore are not scared of travelling.

Also we have 2 kids aged 5 and 7, and were wondering about schooling and acceptability.

Any opinions are welcome as we need the impartiality!!

Thanks in advance,

Colin and Amber
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:40 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So.., tell us about the South Island?

Pm a person on this forum called Deb and Chris. She visited all of those areas with a view to moving there from Dunedin. Me personally I would stay in Inverness but depends what you are after.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:41 pm

sorry that probably sounded rude. You can also try this website www.*****.co.uk. Loads of people there who are going to NZ or are in NZ.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scottish
sorry that probably sounded rude. You can also try this website www.*****.co.uk. Loads of people there who are going to NZ or are in NZ.

No worries as said open minded to everything to be said.

What don't you like about it?

Amber
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:34 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by feralamber
No worries as said open minded to everything to be said.

What don't you like about it?

Amber
This is the bit where Scottish tells you he/she has never been there.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:50 am
JWW
Forum Regular

Invercargill is a provincial town, population around 50,000. People who have lived there profess to like it but have still left. Gore is a fishing port and has a reputation of attracting a certain 'weathered' type of person. The climate is about the worst in NZ....the same as London with less rain but more wind.

However, you are only a short hop from the Lakes area, that is Queenstown, Wanaka etc and the scenery outside of the main towns is stunning. An ideal spot if you're into trout fishing, horse riding etc. Houses are also very cheap.

I would suggest agreeing to a short term contract, seeing if you like it and moving north to Christchurch if you dont. You will like Christchurch.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by JWW
This is the bit where Scottish tells you he/she has never been there.
What NZ or the bungalow capital of NZ (Invercargill) LOL.

I had the displeasure of living in NZ and have just returned home to Scotland. We lived in the North Island, Auckland for a month then moved on. We visited CHCH too and to me it could of been any city in the UK.

If you want specifics on cost of living etc pls feel free to PM me or search the other site that I gave you. I cant comment on schooling Im afraid but again the other site or possibly some other members can be you an opinion.

Not to dishearten you but if you read Returning to Uk part of this forum some people who have just left NZ, some after a year or so and some alot longer, they have talked about schooling etc.

IMO you live in a wonderful part of Scotland, so Im not too sure your reasons for wanting to move to NZ. It took us leaving Scotland to realise that we have a beautiful country here that has alot going for it.

Our reasons for leaving vary from cost of living to exams changes with one of the trades organisations, basically they changed the rules and we couldnt afford to sit new exam format. There are other reasons but if you want them pm me. I dont want to get into any slanging matches on this forum, and if I mention them someone will have a pop, guaranteed.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by JWW
Invercargill is a provincial town, population around 50,000. People who have lived there profess to like it but have still left. Gore is a fishing port and has a reputation of attracting a certain 'weathered' type of person. The climate is about the worst in NZ....the same as London with less rain but more wind.

However, you are only a short hop from the Lakes area, that is Queenstown, Wanaka etc and the scenery outside of the main towns is stunning. An ideal spot if you're into trout fishing, horse riding etc. Houses are also very cheap.

I would suggest agreeing to a short term contract, seeing if you like it and moving north to Christchurch if you dont. You will like Christchurch.
Sorry didnt realise Gore was a fishing port???? Is it not stuck by itself away from the ocean and is known mainly for farming. Also the climate is very hot in the summer and dry with cool winters. DD on this forum who lives there says its the best climate in NZ. Must admit watching the Kiwi weather news it always looked lovely and hot to me, in the Summer that is.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:57 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

Sorry didnt realise Gore was a fishing port???? .
Your right of course, I was thinking Bluff for some reason.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JWW
Your right of course, I was thinking Bluff for some reason.
Hi JWW,

Are you an expat or a Kiwi? If you emigrated over to NZ, how long have you been there and how did you find it in the beginning?
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:41 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JWW

Gore must have moved a few hundred KM's to the coast if it is now a fishing port.
It is a small farming town about an hour from In'gill. Most people say it is a nice town to live in, with a better climate than In'gill. But there will be less going on there.

In'gill, well what can I say. I come grew up there, but left when I was 19, met an english man and did not go back. Not beacause I hate the place or anything like that, love just took me to another part of the world.
All my school friends still live there and are doing very nicely and seem to have a very nice life. My best friend tells me that it is a progressive town with a very postitive outlook on things. And you get back what you put into things.

Last edited by cinderella; Feb 20th 2005 at 8:52 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:45 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Sorry didnt realise Gore was a fishing port???? Is it not stuck by itself away from the ocean and is known mainly for farming. Also the climate is very hot in the summer and dry with cool winters. DD on this forum who lives there says its the best climate in NZ. Must admit watching the Kiwi weather news it always looked lovely and hot to me, in the Summer that is.

DeeDee lives in Queenstown, not Gore, totally different climate. Very cold with snow in the winter and hot / dry in the summer. But if I remember correctly Nelson has the best climate and the most sunshine hours each year in the whole of NZ.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by feralamber
This is for anyone that may be able to offer some guidance.

My husband has recently been offered a job with a company called FW McDowall. First thing, is there any other people who are working for this company and can give us an idea of they way they are.

Second thing is that the proposed area of living is Invercargill, Winton, Gore areas of Southland region. We would really like to get some idea as to whether the indication of "improved lifestyle" does really come through. I.e. can we partake in activities easier and are they more accessable or just as accessable as here.

We currently live in Inverness so we are well aware of how far some places can be to get to, therefore are not scared of travelling.

Also we have 2 kids aged 5 and 7, and were wondering about schooling and acceptability.

Any opinions are welcome as we need the impartiality!!

Thanks in advance,

Colin and Amber
Dear Colin and Amber,

Ask me any questions,

If I don't know the answer I will find out from someone who does. My friend teaches special needs reading in some Invercargill schools so I can ask her about education, She is also pretty hot on real estate, has made a lot of money buying and selling, so can find out what the property market is doing.

I think you need to hear a few positive points as well as all the negatives that have been given.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: So.., tell us about the South Island?

Dear Colin and Amber,

Hi
I've only visited NZ for holidays, but my son is working at a school in Dunedin until August and has just spent this weekend with friends who are teaching at a school in Invercargill, if there is anything specific re schools or travel I'll ask him for you or I could give you his email address. He is also on BE as "Mr Cooke"
helinuk
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by helinuk
Dear Colin and Amber,

Hi
I've only visited NZ for holidays, but my son is working at a school in Dunedin until August and has just spent this weekend with friends who are teaching at a school in Invercargill, if there is anything specific re schools or travel I'll ask him for you or I could give you his email address. He is also on BE as "Mr Cooke"
helinuk
What school do they teach at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.