Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So confused....back 'home' to the UK or try Oz?

So confused....back 'home' to the UK or try Oz?

Old Jul 25th 2013, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So confused....back 'home' to the UK or try Oz?

Hi all
I'm not looking for sympathy, or for someone to make the decision for me...I just would like to hear from from people who have done one or the other, or maybe both!

We moved here in 2005 and I feel I have done my time. It hasn't been all doom and gloom and I still appreciate the things NZ has going for it, but it is my time to move on. In fact, it was probably time 5 years ago. There are several factors but the main one is that I am very, very bored.

We started off in West Auckland and have since lived in rural Otago, Dunedin and Chch. We were happiest in West Auckland but I think that was the 'holiday' period. The weather was good, we had money in our pocket (exchange rate was good then) and generally enjoyed living there. Since then things have gradually gone downhill.....

We are now trying to decide what to do next. Going back to the UK appeals because we know what we are letting ourselves in for, our family are there etc. But the weather is still dire and the economy isn't very good either. (Having read lots of posts on here I realise that it's pretty poor everywhere though). The reasons we left initially are still omnipresent.

We are kee to go to Oz but if we do would have to get our citizenship here and get there on that. We wouldnt be eligible to apply for Australian PR, so would have to 'chance it' and hope the immigration department don't decide to boot everyone on NZ visas out. It's a bit risky knowing that it could all be temporary and a big waste of time and money to get there. But the weather appeals to us and so does the wildlife (might sound weird, we miss the lack of wildlife here). It coukld be the best decision we ever made....
Of course we could try going back to the North Island but have priced ourself out of Auckland by moving and would have to start afresh again somewhere. I need to live near a city to be able to keep my job here.
We don't have a shedload of money (been here too long) , but we'd have a deposit to enable us to buy a house in either country provided we got resonable jobs.
The other complication is our 15 year old daughter (who isn't very happy here and keen to move on too) and also a 23 year old son who is very happy living with his girlfriend with no intention of moving anywhere thank you. I feel I would be splitting the family up by moving too far away from him.
So I am really confused, and I am getting quite stressed out about it all. I feel trapped and need some direction. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 4:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So confused....back 'home' to the UK or try Oz?

know what you mean about splitting the family up, we left my eldest back in the UK, to difficult to apply him to the visa as he's a step child to my husband and was not financially dependent on us. We keep in touch, often when I bother on FB and Skype . He's to busy living his own life and I get that.
I don't think NZ is going to be our country of choice in our dotage but I am a little unsettled here atm so that could change when things calm down a bit.
I would say you have given NZ a go and you have already decided to move on so why not try Australia, would mean you could still pop over and see your son but it also opens you up to maybe having easier access to other parts of the world for trips
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:34 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you get citizenship whatever option you go for. Imagine if in 10 years time you have grandchildren here or in Australia and decided to move to either country for that reason. Much easier with citizenship.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you decide to stay, go back to UK or try Oz .... Get NZ citizenship ... you've earned it. At least then you can always return to NZ if you find the UK isn't the one you left, and you don't like it.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, will definitely do citizenship, have the paperwork right here so will get that sent off and then we can make some plans. Half the problame is we just seem to be 'drifting' along, not really achieving anything. Once we do something concrete, whether its Oz or UK, I think I will feel better.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

I can definitely relate to the feeling of drifting along. Once you have made a decision it will be a huge relief. Wishing you all the best
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=vetnurse1;10819418Half the problame is we just seem to be 'drifting' along, not really achieving anything. Once we do something concrete, whether its Oz or UK, I think I will feel better.[/QUOTE]

I can relate!!!