Snow Good

Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Default Snow Good

Hullo...

Was wondering what the skiing was like, saw a documentary the other day where a boarder had to park the car, hike up a mountain and then boarded on what can only be described as an ice field. No chair lifts or any other such comforts.

I appreciate its not the alps, but whats it like and are there better areas than others??

Thank you kindly

Denise
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future
Default Re: Snow Good

Originally Posted by Nisey
Hullo...

Was wondering what the skiing was like, saw a documentary the other day where a boarder had to park the car, hike up a mountain and then boarded on what can only be described as an ice field. No chair lifts or any other such comforts.

I appreciate its not the alps, but whats it like and are there better areas than others??

Thank you kindly

Denise
I think I know which programme that was. It was Ed Leigh ( well known in Snowboarding circles) He was trying to surf and snowboard on the same day. Seemed though it was out of season and the weather wasn't that great. There's loads of areas to snowboard / ski in NZ as I'll be travelling to Cardrona ( south) to go on a Snowboarder instructor course. Avalanche training is part of the deal so there'd better be some snow!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Yeah, that was the one, it was a glacial, although my OH is keen on the move, it will make him grump if the snow doesn't get good at some point and there are decent facilities.

I know there are lots of instructors in the alps who go out to work the season in NZ so it cant be that bad, but I will need empirical evidence for him indoors, fussy bugger.

Nisey
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nisey
Yeah, that was the one, it was a glacial, although my OH is keen on the move, it will make him grump if the snow doesn't get good at some point and there are decent facilities.

I know there are lots of instructors in the alps who go out to work the season in NZ so it cant be that bad, but I will need empirical evidence for him indoors, fussy bugger.

Nisey
This should do the trick:

www.snow.co.nz
www.chillout.co.nz

They were recommended by someone on this forum for me!

Good Luck!!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

skiing is fantastic, not in the all-inclusive way of the French Alps, but in the the weathers good, the snow is perfect, let head up the mountain for a good days skiing kind of a way.

Living here in ChCh there is the choice of 7 skifields, ranging from chairs and many runs (mt hutt) to little friendly club field with rope tows and nutcrackers. These are 2-3 hours drive from the city centre, so very achievable for a day in the mountains.
If you want to make week away, then Central Otago and Queenstown has some awesome fields, and in the North Island you can ski two sides of a volcano. There is a nordic ski park too.

If you ski for the little resorts, the hotels, and restaurants, then you may find that it isn't your cup of tea in NZ outside of Queenstown. If you ski because you love being in the mountains then you will just love it.

Some websites:
http://www.nzski.com/
http://www.snow.co.nz/
http://www.mtruapehu.com/default_winter.asp

Feel free to pm me if you want more specific info. Where in NZ might you be based?