Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

smoking laws : good or bad?

View Poll Results: Smoking laws - good or bad?
good
90.91%
bad
9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

smoking laws : good or bad?

Old May 5th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: smoking laws : good or bad?

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
Do you like pretentious bars where people think they are really hip and cool?

If so, matterhorn is your place.
Have you listened to Fat Freddys Drop ?
Old May 5th 2007, 6:51 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Have you listened to Fat Freddys Drop ?
Yeah, i've been to see them as well as the san fransisco bathhouse
Old May 5th 2007, 7:07 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Do you work for Phillip Morris or Marlboro? (or are you just trying to pick a fight?)

No, no...not trying to pick a fight...just being pedantic. There isn't any 'proof' that smoking causes cancer. Smokers certainly get lung cancer a lot more than non-smokers but the connection hasn't been proved. Yet.
Old May 5th 2007, 7:32 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

I dont smoke but remember seeing the adverts on tv in the UK saying smoking causes cancer and pregnant women should not smoke.Where is the proof that it does NOT cause cancer? .
I believe there are over 100 different chemicals in the smoke from tobacco and most are not good for you or your health.(or that of kids who have to put up with passive smoke ) .Like I said before NO SMOKING at my home inside or ouside on my deck.:curse:
Old May 5th 2007, 8:01 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I still get an occassional craving for those cocktail cigars though

I would probably throw up if I tried one but the craving is still there
Old May 5th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry
I dont smoke but remember seeing the adverts on tv in the UK saying smoking causes cancer and pregnant women should not smoke.Where is the proof that it does NOT cause cancer? .
I believe there are over 100 different chemicals in the smoke from tobacco and most are not good for you or your health.(or that of kids who have to put up with passive smoke ) .Like I said before NO SMOKING at my home inside or ouside on my deck.:curse:
When I was pregnant last year we went to a BBQ and 2 ladies smoked cigarettes right next to me. I thought that was pretty rude. I got up and moved away...I mean, I was obviously pregnant, looking like I'd swallowed a huge beachball. That was ignorant and smoking whilst pregnant is even more stupid.
Old May 5th 2007, 12:04 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cherry
kids who have to put up with passive smoke
My one big bug bare of mine is seeing people smoking in cars with children in it. It makes me soooooo angry:curse: .

I was driving to london once with a friend and we were caught in a traffic jam which was about 5 miles long and were about 40 min away from our destination and she lit up...i just couldn't believe it as she didn't even ask if i minded...surely waiting 40 min would have been no prob, just rude if you ask me!!! IMO
Old May 5th 2007, 10:22 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
When I was pregnant last year we went to a BBQ and 2 ladies smoked cigarettes right next to me. I thought that was pretty rude.
Should you have been at the BBQ itself???!!!

(Ignore this question if they were using a smokeless grill)
Old May 6th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Should you have been at the BBQ itself???!!!

(Ignore this question if they were using a smokeless grill)
I mustve missed that on the list of what you can and cant do whilst being pregnant. Dont eat shellfish, always make sure your salad is washed... dont sit in hot-tubs and always make sure you dont go to any BBQs.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit more on what you mean?
Old May 6th 2007, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
I mustve missed that on the list of what you can and cant do whilst being pregnant. Dont eat shellfish, always make sure your salad is washed... dont sit in hot-tubs and always make sure you dont go to any BBQs.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit more on what you mean?
Just a cheap smile, that's all...I had this image of you moving away from the wisps of fag smoke while the BBQ raged away behind you! That's all.

Anyway, I look like I've swallowed a beachball and people still smoke near me. Then again, I am male....
Old May 7th 2007, 9:43 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

What about small cell cancer? I quote this small bit of info..

About 15% of all lung cancer cases are small cell lung cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. Small cell lung cancer is a bit more common in men than women.

Smoking almost always causes small cell lung cancer. This type of lung cancer is rare in those who have never smoked.

Small cell lung cancer usually starts in the air tubes (bronchi) in the center of the chest. Although the cancer cells are small, they grow quickly and create large masses (tumors) that can rapidly spread to other parts of the body, including the brain, liver, and bone.

I guess you've not read enough text books about cancer to know about this. Go back to your computer, Avid, you irritating person.
Old May 7th 2007, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Littletoe
What about small cell cancer? I quote this small bit of info..

About 15% of all lung cancer cases are small cell lung cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. Small cell lung cancer is a bit more common in men than women.

Smoking almost always causes small cell lung cancer. This type of lung cancer is rare in those who have never smoked.

Small cell lung cancer usually starts in the air tubes (bronchi) in the center of the chest. Although the cancer cells are small, they grow quickly and create large masses (tumors) that can rapidly spread to other parts of the body, including the brain, liver, and bone.

I guess you've not read enough text books about cancer to know about this. Go back to your computer, Avid, you irritating person.
Deary me! I didn't say 'smoking doesn't cause cancer'. I said it hasn't been PROVED. If it was proven they wouldn't be able to sell any fags at all, would they?

BUT....it looks like there is some proof that passive smoking DOESN'T cause cancer, so there isn't any need for smoking bans at all. Not on health reasons, anyway.

Blimey..I thought lots of nurses emigrated out here...where's one when I need one?
Old May 7th 2007, 10:32 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid

Blimey..I thought lots of nurses emigrated out here...where's one when I need one?
Outside having a cigarette!
Old May 7th 2007, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by karonious
Outside having a cigarette!
Very true.....
Old May 7th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Just got new next door neighbours over the weekend. Seems to be a family with 2 young kids and another very obviously on the way.... the mum was outside smoking earlier. I still cant get my head around why anyone would do this?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.