Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slow, slow wheels of NZQA

The slow, slow wheels of NZQA

Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:22 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy The slow, slow wheels of NZQA

Buggeration, arse-biscuits and dangleberrys.

Today we have really been getting down about just how long the NZQA want to take over giving us a number and a bit of paper that will allow Toni to teach here in NZ.

We sent the paperwork in September. '3 months, and that's if you're unlucky!' says our emigration agent.

It's now nearly April. 6 long, drawn out months, and still only a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Christmas jiggered us - that's a month long holiday here. Then, Toni's University took AAAAAAAAAAGES in replying to the NZQA's queries. I set my mum on them in the end - must have scared the life out of them!

And now...? Well as I said, there's a glimmer of light in that Toni has been 'approved in principle' by the NZQA. 'HOORAH!' We said. 'So, just a matter of days?' we said. 'No' they said. 'Because we have a long christmas break, we have a massive backlog - we don't know how long it will take' they said.

And that's that. It's in a pile of stuff, on someone, somewhere's desk. They do their 9 to 5. No need for overtime, after all, that pile of paperwork - it's only a big stack of hopes, dreams, aspirations and promises there. Just someone else's life that's on hold whilst they, the devoted civil servants that they are, sip their coffee on an extended lunch break. Nope, nothing we can do, but sit..... and wait......

And it's DRIVING US MENTAL!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :curse:

Toni is desperate to start work and there are a few jobs floating around, but we have to sit on our hands and watch them drift by. Temp work at $pittance/ hr is all my massively experienced, excellent primary teacher wife is held to.

It's like caging a nightingale

Ah, I feel a bit better now. Just wish the buggers'd get a blimmin' move on is all.

Yours whinging pommily,

Wiz
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The slow, slow wheels of NZQA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I can't imagine how you both must be feeling but get a pretty good picture! Hope they get their fingers ut and hurry with Toni's decision!

Michelle xx
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:30 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton

Today we have really been getting down about just how long the NZQA want to take over giving us a number and a bit of paper that will allow Toni to teach here in NZ.

We sent the paperwork in September. '3 months, and that's if you're unlucky!' says our emigration agent.

It's now nearly April. 6 long, drawn out months, and still only a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Christmas jiggered us - that's a month long holiday here. Then, Toni's University took AAAAAAAAAAGES in replying to the NZQA's queries. I set my mum on them in the end - must have scared the life out of them!

And now...? Well as I said, there's a glimmer of light in that Toni has been 'approved in principle' by the NZQA. 'HOORAH!' We said. 'So, just a matter of days?' we said. 'No' they said. 'Because we have a long christmas break, we have a massive backlog - we don't know how long it will take' they said.

And that's that. It's in a pile of stuff, on someone, somewhere's desk. They do their 9 to 5. No need for overtime, after all, that pile of paperwork - it's only a big stack of hopes, dreams, aspirations and promises there. Just someone else's life that's on hold whilst they, the devoted civil servants that they are, sip their coffee on an extended lunch break. Nope, nothing we can do, but sit..... and wait......

And it's DRIVING US MENTAL!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Toni is desperate to start work and there are a few jobs floating around, but we have to sit on our hands and watch them drift by. Temp work at $pittance/ hr is all my massively experienced, excellent primary teacher wife is held to.

Ah, I feel a bit better now. Just wish the buggers'd get a blimmin' move on is all.

Yours whinging pommily,

Wiz

Wiz

Sorry you're having such a cr*p time waiting for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn hun :curse: :curse: if Toni has been approved in principle, will they give her a letter confirming that? then maybe? she could approach the schools before Easter & if she has a potential position the school might be able to help get the process speeded up Not sure if that would be feesible but hey if you don't ask, you never find out!!!!

Chin up the pair of you. You've got this far relatively unscathed, it's just a bump in the road It'll come right in the end
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:33 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I can't imagine how you both must be feeling but get a pretty good picture! Hope they get their fingers ut and hurry with Toni's decision!
I think you've got it just about right there! Cheers for the reply tho - just what we need right now. Ta!

Wiz
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Wiz

Sorry you're having such a cr*p time waiting for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn hun :curse: if Toni has been approved in principle, will they give her a letter confirming that? then maybe? she could approach the schools before Easter & if she has a potential position the school might be able to help get the process speeded up Not sure if that would be feesible but hey if you don't ask, you never find out!!!!

Chin up the pair of you. You've got this far relatively unscathed, it's just a bump in the road It'll come right in the end
Hey guys - cheers for the post. No letter - we've asked and it's a no go as the letter will need a number, the numbe will need to be issued, this happens when it happens.... etc etc. Ton's been to a bunch of schools in person and described the situation, and pretty much all have said 'once you get it come back to us'. We thought the same re positions, but here in ChCh the competition is steep - 50 applicants for the last role we applied for, and we'll never get a look in until we get the Kiwi Experience of working in Kiwi schools. Which we'll get from working through an agency. But no agency will register us till we get the number..... I reckon you see the dilemma?!

You're right though - it's all gone pretty swimmingly so far, so we shouldn't let this get to us so much. I think it does though because we a re powerless to do anything about it, and that's what makes us so helpless.

It WILL come right in the end, of that I'm sure... just don't know if the end is around the corner in Riccarton, or ,miles way and just North of London!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:20 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

How about teaching privately, is that a possibility or do you still need a reg no. to do that?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:12 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, really sorry to hear about this, just wanted to let you know that although it's not help to you at all, am thinking of you and hope that toni will soon get her registration no, so she'll be able to get out there and do what she's good at!!!

take care both of you and keep us posted

oh and don't let the B*$#*%d's get you down
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:15 am

Cheers guys - you've really done a great job of picking me up. Will point T to the forum tomorrow for a cheer up.

Will let you all know how things go. Until then, fingers crossed hey?

Nighty night,

Wiz
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by sky
How about teaching privately, is that a possibility or do you still need a reg no. to do that?
Bloody good idea sky old chum! Will cogitate on that tonight, and put Sky Plan A into action....

Now, anyone got a Plan B...?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:03 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:25 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Heh heh... the above two made me snigger.

Anyway, Wiz, so sorry to hear about Ton's problems, that really sucks arse! Hope you can put a large boot up their bum to get them moving. I'm rather nervous about maybe having to have my degree go through NZQA. It's really my only stumbling block as it's not an IT degree, but it contains IT portions in it. Best of luck to Ton, and yes, maybe private is the way to go for now?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:03 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We're waiting for an NZQA assessment too - of Melanie's degree so she can graduate on her teaching course.
The course ends in December so plenty of time but they've been nearly 3 months without any contact to us yet.
Good job they didn't make us get the assessment before applying like they threatened to do.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

And it's DRIVING US MENTAL!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :curse:

Yours whinging pommily,

Wiz
Hi Wiz. Shame you're not in Bay of Plenty. I run a Business School here and one of my tutors resigned yesterday so I have a vacancy. I wouldn't necessarily need you to be registered with NZQA before offering the job.
I would tell Toni to have a look round at the Private Training Establishments (PTEs) in the Chch area as they may have a vacancy.

Good luck. I know better than most just how long NZQA and the other government depts take to do anything!

Paul
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by PaulGent
Hi Wiz. Shame you're not in Bay of Plenty. I run a Business School here and one of my tutors resigned yesterday so I have a vacancy. I wouldn't necessarily need you to be registered with NZQA before offering the job.
I would tell Toni to have a look round at the Private Training Establishments (PTEs) in the Chch area as they may have a vacancy.

Good luck. I know better than most just how long NZQA and the other government depts take to do anything!

Paul
That's good of you Paul - and cheers for the thought. Good idea re the PTE's - will get doing some research on that....

Ta
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:28 am

The glimmer of light is now a small ray! Just got an email saying that there are 8 cases ahead of us. Should be a few weeks.....

Fingers crossed!!!!!

We feel so much better today I can't tell you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.