Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Slipping Away............

Slipping Away............

Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:05 am
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute
Question Slipping Away............

Hi All

Ok - story so far:

I have scored 105 points (without any points in skilled catergory or chances of employment at present).

I know I could put my EOI in but chances of it being chosen are very slim.

Where to go from here?

My skills are as a PA/Admin etc etc - so I doubt I will secure a job from here in the UK ? Do we risk going over there for 6 months and then hope once I have a job that they will be happy to wait for me to start whilst we organise our house etc?

Damm its too ealry for a drink

G x
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:13 am
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future
Default Re: Slipping Away............

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Hi All

Ok - story so far:

I have scored 105 points (without any points in skilled catergory or chances of employment at present).

Where to go from here?

My skills are as a PA/Admin etc etc - so I doubt I will secure a job from here in the UK ? Do we risk going over there for 6 months and then hope once I have a job that they will be happy to wait for me to start whilst we organise our house etc?

G x
My story is pretty similar. I have 120 points and have submitted EOI but am wondering what to do if it doesnt get selected.
Can you just go out on some sort of visa and get a job and then apply? Is so I recon its got to be the way to go.

I need to sell the house and have a wifey and 2 kids to sort as well though so this makes the gamble more of a big deal.

I will probably go for it though and suggest you do the same.

I would say admin work should be easy enough to come by out there from the business research I have done.

Good luck with it.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Hi All

Ok - story so far:

Where to go from here?

G x
If you REALLY want to live in NZ then go for it girl!! Treat it as an adventure - get your butts out there on the 6month visitor visa and work like hell to find a job!!! You CAN make it happen if you WANT IT bad enough!!!

Good luck!!!
Dave
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:26 am
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
If you REALLY want to live in NZ then go for it girl!! Treat it as an adventure - get your butts out there on the 6month visitor visa and work like hell to find a job!!! You CAN make it happen if you WANT IT bad enough!!!

Good luck!!!
Dave

Hi Dave

VERY TRUE - indeed!!

Can you apply for PR when your out there as a visitor in NZ??

By the way I use to live in Cotswolds near Burford

G
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Hi Dave

VERY TRUE - indeed!!

Can you apply for PR when your out there as a visitor in NZ??

G
You bet you can!!! They love approving people with job offers!!!! Fast tracked!!!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:58 am
Banned

You bet you can!!! They love approving people with job offers!!!! Fast tracked!!!

Excellent - well I think we may just have to take the risk!!!!!

So where in Cotswolds are you? (I am nosey)
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=andy&georgina]Excellent - well I think we may just have to take the risk!!!!!

Hi
how about applying for work visas then at least your in with a fighting chance of having a job that will help you with your pr application as far as im aware you have to have police certs now but im not sure if you have to submit to a medical for WV maybe someone else could enlighten you on that one
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:03 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Eastbound]

Hi
how about applying for work visas then at least your in with a fighting chance of having a job that will help you with your pr application as far as im aware you have to have police certs now but im not sure if you have to submit to a medical for WV maybe someone else could enlighten you on that one
Hi

Thanks for then reply.

But we cannot get work visas as our skills are not in the required areas.

So we are going to try our luck at securing a job whilst out there and then put in our EOI hopefully!!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

So where in Cotswolds are you? (I am nosey)
Stroud, but am not from here; I'm from Cambridge via Essex via Kentucky via Colorado via Kent!

A bit of a nomad LOL!
D.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:23 pm
Banned

Stroud, but am not from here; I'm from Cambridge via Essex via Kentucky via Colorado via Kent!

A bit of a nomad LOL!
D.

LOL All over the shop

so when you off to NZ?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

LOL All over the shop

so when you off to NZ?
are you under 30?..if so u can get a working holiday visa...

otherwise you may have to come to NZ, and treat it as a 6 month holiday, and be prepared for a lot of "we cant help you"s....not something to do if you get easily discouraged...

If you are here you may want to target employers who are registered under teh work to residence scheme, i think any job with a registered employer offering more than 45k pa qualifies you for a work to residence visa.

Finally, you can try knocking on as many doors and seeing if you can get a job offer, if its not on the shortage list your employer wil need to show they could not fill the job from the local market.

good luck
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by newkiwi
If you are here you may want to target employers who are registered under teh work to residence scheme, i think any job with a registered employer offering more than 45k pa qualifies you for a work to residence visa.
You may find it hard to get admin/pa work for more than this... not wanting to put you off, but this is at the high end of the scale...
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dlmckay
You may find it hard to get admin/pa work for more than this... not wanting to put you off, but this is at the high end of the scale...

Thanks for your replies - Have phoned NZ House & they have said if I secure a job offer in whatever my profession might be, mine being PA/Admin then that counts on your points scores.....Happy Days !!!