Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Slippery wet decks. Solutions?

Slippery wet decks. Solutions?

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of
Unhappy Slippery wet decks. Solutions?

Had a bit of an accident on Tuesday. Went a*** over on our deck cos of the wet weather etc. The decks were actually condemed in late Feb by contractor, but nothing has been done and I was in the UK for 4 months so (like a fool) did not follow it up on my return.

Ended up in ambulance and on my way to North Shore. Fun that was! Had gas and air and remember hardly anything. But now in pain!

Although we are moving and have got a new place to go I was wondering if there is something you can spray paint to make the decks less slippery as I dont think this is an isolated problem?

I am still laid up but am oh so grateful that my daughter (1 year) was already safely in the car and not in my arms.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slippery wet decks. Solutions?

Originally Posted by banshigirl
Had a bit of an accident on Tuesday. Went a*** over on our deck cos of the wet weather etc. The decks were actually condemed in late Feb by contractor, but nothing has been done and I was in the UK for 4 months so (like a fool) did not follow it up on my return.

Ended up in ambulance and on my way to North Shore. Fun that was! Had gas and air and remember hardly anything. But now in pain!

Although we are moving and have got a new place to go I was wondering if there is something you can spray paint to make the decks less slippery as I dont think this is an isolated problem?

I am still laid up but am oh so grateful that my daughter (1 year) was already safely in the car and not in my arms.
Wet and forget. It is a product that gets rid of the slippery film, you spray it on. Ask your local hardware store. Or you could power wash the deck to remove it. You can either rent them or buy one, they are dead cheap these days.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Cheers Genesis, you are a star. Will get Hubs to check it out at the weekend.

Last edited by banshigirl; Sep 23rd 2010 at 5:17 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:31 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if they've been condemned you should fix 'em before you go?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Surely if they've been condemned you should fix 'em before you go?
I would of done it in March if it was my house but it is a rental and the contractor who condemed it works for the Property Manager.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

wet and forget is rubish it doesnt work, neither do any of the other products he supplies
shower witch amd such like, they are just VERY good at marketing.
Get a jet wash to shift it
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

And there I was thinking 'deck' was Kiwi for 'dick' ... the content of this thread has consequently disappointed me.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:13 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banshigirl
I would of done it in March if it was my house but it is a rental and the contractor who condemed it works for the Property Manager.

......Aah, fairy nuff.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I second the pressure-washer idea, but make sure you rent a decent one so its swathe is wide (eg 10cm) with a decent pressure, or you'll be at it all week
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I know a guy in waitakere who has all the gear and would prolly do it at a good price.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Slippery wet decks. Solutions?

You can buy that rubberised paint they use to make boat decks grip, that’s what I would use. That or chicken wire.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

For your own deck, if you're painting, add sand to the paint. It causes resistance and cuts down on slipperiness.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:05 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IngStina
For your own deck, if you're painting, add sand to the paint. It causes resistance and cuts down on slipperiness.
Sand crushes use carborundum.....
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IngStina
yep sand is a really good solution and can stop you sliding like your on a ice skating rink
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, gonna go for the jet wash in the new house as would not want to do my impression of a dying penguin again as it bloody hurts.

Thanks again for all your help.