Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Slip, Slap, Sloppy?

Slip, Slap, Sloppy?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:47 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Slip, Slap, Sloppy?

With scary rates of skin cancer in NZ, do you think people are heeding the slip, slap, slop message? I know is Oz, the message is taken very seriously but I wonder if, in NZ with its cooler climate, the risk doesn't seem as apparent? Any views?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slip, Slap, Sloppy?

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
With scary rates of skin cancer in NZ, do you think people are heeding the slip, slap, slop message? I know is Oz, the message is taken very seriously but I wonder if, in NZ with its cooler climate, the risk doesn't seem as apparent? Any views?
According to the evidence provided-people weren't! But of course skin cancer is generally a slightly more mature disease rarely seen in kids-so we will know in 10 yrs time.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:52 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danny.f
According to the evidence provided-people weren't! But of course skin cancer is generally a slightly more mature disease rarely seen in kids-so we will know in 10 yrs time.
But how do people behave now? Is it common for folks to go out without suncream etc?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:16 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

But how do people behave now? Is it common for folks to go out without suncream etc?
I'm quite fair skinned so am aware of this. Cost around $200 for a check up (is it free in oz).
I don't think people here are as focused on it as they should be considering the high number of people that develop skin cancer in NZ.

The sun here is more harmful than oz and I certainly havn't felt anything like it and I've lived in Africa, Australia and Europe.

The main suncream here is manufactured for the 'Cancer Society of NZ' and a recent test revealed that factor 30 of their product was found to provide less protection than a factor 10! How wrong is that?

Last edited by pascalr; Mar 29th 2008 at 1:20 am.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:23 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by pascalr
I'm quite fair skinned so am aware of this. Cost around $200 for a check up (is it free in oz).
I don't think people here are as focused on it as they should be considering the high number of people that develop skin cancer here.

I believe the sun here is more harmful than oz and I certainly havn't felt anything like it and I've lived in Africa, Australia and Europe.

The main suncream here is manufactured for the 'Cancer Society of NZ' and recent test revealed that factor 30 of their product was found to provide less protection than a factor 10! How wrong is that?
Mole clinics here are free (so I am told). I'm going to one in the next week or two so will be able to tell you for sure.

That's outrageous about the suncream - what's being done about it?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:34 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

They had to recall them from the shelves and that's the last I heard.

It's quite disturbing though (but hey, could happen anywhere I guess.......)
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:55 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
They had to recall them from the shelves and that's the last I heard.

It's quite disturbing though (but hey, could happen anywhere I guess.......)
So it's not something they do as a matter of course and try to cover up then? OK good.

Most people I know have a T-shirt tan, myself included But I do try to either cover up or use the SPF 45 on all of us. Next summer might be different, though, if it's not going to be as warm as it has been this year (hottest summer in 10 years etc), then I'll just be doing what I prefer, and wear long sleeves and long trousers. And of course the obligatory wide-brimmed hat.

I'm a pretty moley person myself, but had a full body check-up a couple of years ago and keep an eye on my skin anyway. Daughter has two moles, so they're easy to track.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:55 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite a few of the older people I knew there have had melanomas removed from their ears, noses and hands. These are people who would've sunburned when they were young and then got burned again within a day or so.

Skin damage amongst Kiwi women always shocked me - I've never seen so much crepey skin and freckling in people so young. I don't think they really take it seriously at all and for many people good quality sun creme is just too expensive.

The sun is more dangerous in NZ because during the spring the hole in the ozone layer is at its largest size, because it's not overly warm at that time of year it's easy to burn before you realise it.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I've got fair pale skin, however never use suncream in NZ and I am perfectly fine (no spots no freckle no sunburn). I always wear a hat, transition glasses and long sleeves top outside instead. I believe it's healthier than using suncream as a chemical used in sun creams can trigger numerous allergic reactions.

I used suncream a little while I was in Australia (you have no choice :curse - it was one of the most annoying things in everyday life. but not in NZ or U.K - how nice ?

Well, generally speaking, I feel life is much easier in many ways in NZ.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:09 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I've got fair pale skin, however never use suncream in NZ and I am perfectly fine (no spots no freckle no sunburn). I always wear a hat, transition glasses and long sleeves top outside instead. I believe it's healthier than using suncream as a chemical used in sun creams can trigger numerous allergic reactions.

I used suncream a little while I was in Australia (you have no choice :curse - it was one of the most annoying things in everyday life. but not in NZ or U.K - how nice ?

Well, generally speaking, I feel life is much easier in many ways in NZ.
The suncream thing is a pain in the arse but I'm getting used to it. I prefer the zinc-based sunscreens but they can make you look like a ghost!

Is that really you in the picture? You are very beautiful if that's you - I wouldn't want to waste that skin either.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

The suncream thing is a pain in the arse but I'm getting used to it. I prefer the zinc-based sunscreens but they can make you look like a ghost!
I use Shiseido - I assume its zinc based.? no reactions and it's great. but I don't need one in Welly.

you need to use make up remover cleanser after suncream - double cleansing is utterly important & essential. but I am too lazy for that. so I just let my skin burn

I am Asian and luckily my skin is slightly healthier than others (I've got no allegy/sensitive skins or anything like that) I am 30 but no wrinkles on face yet.

after all using a sun cream is wiser & better than getting burnt, I would think

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 29th 2008 at 1:50 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I find it is essential to wear suncream here. I couldn't believe that you could actually tan/burn through glass here.....especially when you are driving, and catch the sun on the back of your hands on the steering wheel.
All the Kiwis I know would not consider sitting in the sun without cream, and a hat. People are very aware of how dangerous the sun is here....it definitely drives the message home when you see Maoris at the beach heading for shelter around 12 to 3pm.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:56 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I've found the sun here "stings" when you're out in it without sunblock. Quite a bizarre sensation! And not a good one...
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:33 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by Maz
I've found the sun here "stings" when you're out in it without sunblock. Quite a bizarre sensation! And not a good one...
That's funny. I noticed that in Oz when we first got here. It was really, really hot though and the sun felt like it was "pricking" my skin and that was with lots of block. I'm fair though and I freckle ... DH tans if someone even mentions "sunshine" and he didn't feel any discomfort at all.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:43 am
Maz

That's funny. I noticed that in Oz when we first got here. It was really, really hot though and the sun felt like it was "pricking" my skin and that was with lots of block. I'm fair though and I freckle ... DH tans if someone even mentions "sunshine" and he didn't feel any discomfort at all.
Isn't that annoying? "Pricking" or "prickling" is a good term for it. It's like being a human pin cushion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.