Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Slightly Terrified

Slightly Terrified

Old Aug 17th 2005, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Taffytigger is on a distinguished road
Default Slightly Terrified

Hi I am completely new to this sight but was hoping for any feedback. I am a married mum of 1 littel boy and am pregnant with my second child. My husband is a vehicle mechanic and has just gone for a job located in Palmerston North. The guy who owns the company is an ex-pat who has been over there for some time. Has anyone who now lives and works in New Zealand ever been treated unfairly or poorly by their non kiwi employer? After reading about some other peoples really horrible experiences, I am now scared we'll get out there and he'll hate it or get "picked on" etc :
Old Aug 17th 2005, 2:03 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slightly Terrified

Originally Posted by Taffytigger
Hi I am completely new to this sight but was hoping for any feedback. I am a married mum of 1 littel boy and am pregnant with my second child. My husband is a vehicle mechanic and has just gone for a job located in Palmerston North. The guy who owns the company is an ex-pat who has been over there for some time. Has anyone who now lives and works in New Zealand ever been treated unfairly or poorly by their non kiwi employer? After reading about some other peoples really horrible experiences, I am now scared we'll get out there and he'll hate it or get "picked on" etc :
Hello & welcome Taffy.

There are others on this forum much better positioned to advise you on your concerns. I would just say don't worry unnecessarily as common sense will go a long way in terms of your acceptance into NZ society. Also, to put things into perspective, the majority of migrants must have been treated fairly by employers otherwise I would assume we would have heard through major press attention.

However there are people on this forum who have been stung by employers as you are probably aware, and they will hopefully be able to give you some constructive feedback. All the best with your plans.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Slightly Terrified

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hello & welcome Taffy.

There are others on this forum much better positioned to advise you on your concerns. I would just say don't worry unnecessarily as common sense will go a long way in terms of your acceptance into NZ society. Also, to put things into perspective, the majority of migrants must have been treated fairly by employers otherwise I would assume we would have heard through major press attention.

However there are people on this forum who have been stung by employers as you are probably aware, and they will hopefully be able to give you some constructive feedback. All the best with your plans.
Thank you so much for replying-my pregnancy hormones are making everything seem so much bigger than it prob is!!!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 3:50 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Search under my name, Sky, Debs and Rascal. All have had some form of bad experiences more so than others.

We drove through Palmerson North and it wasnt the most inspiring of places tbh. However, we all want different things.

If hubby wants a move to Bay of Plenty there is a poster on www. u k 2 n z .co.uk callled Friartuck he has his own place and if you look under Adverts etc you will see his post looking for staff. Now theres a place that is brilliant the Bay of Plenty!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scottish
Search under my name, Sky, Debs and Rascal. All have had some form of bad experiences more so than others.

We drove through Palmerson North and it wasnt the most inspiring of places tbh. However, we all want different things.

If hubby wants a move to Bay of Plenty there is a poster on www. u k 2 n z .co.uk callled Friartuck he has his own place and if you look under Adverts etc you will see his post looking for staff. Now theres a place that is brilliant the Bay of Plenty!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Scottish, thanks for the info-I've tried going onto that site but I couldn't find it? TBH I've looked at housing and schools for Palmerston North and I agree with you-it's not got the inviting look I was hoping for. I have never been to NZ so am only able to go on other peeps opinions about different areas-I really am clueless!!!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:27 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

try this link. It was on the second page under Friartuck

http://www.*****.co.uk/chat/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7326

sorry wont take. The Mods for this forum have blanked out the name of teh forum. If you go to that forum and go to page 2 about half way down under his name. Or search under Mechanics it will pop up (eventually) then.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:19 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish
try this link. It was on the second page under Friartuck

http://www.*****.co.uk/chat/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7326

sorry wont take. The Mods for this forum have blanked out the name of teh forum. If you go to that forum and go to page 2 about half way down under his name. Or search under Mechanics it will pop up (eventually) then.
Yeah it is definitely there, Advert section, second page, fifth thread down from the top... "Calling all good UK car mechanics"...

Edit:- forgot to say, welcome to the forum Taffytigger and if you're only slightly terrified then you are doing quite well!!!

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Aug 17th 2005 at 6:21 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Yeah it is definitely there, Advert section, second page, fifth thread down from the top... "Calling all good UK car mechanics"...

Edit:- forgot to say, welcome to the forum Taffytigger and if you're only slightly terrified then you are doing quite well!!!
Thanks Pinkie! I have you lovely people to keep it honest but realistic for me!!