Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old May 26th 2007, 9:58 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

cool,

you in NZ at the moment where abouts? I live in Hulme at the moment (the nice bit!)

I assume you are in NZ as stella at 10:52 am is something I am known to partake in but not shout about!
Old May 26th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
cool,

you in NZ at the moment where abouts? I live in Hulme at the moment (the nice bit!)

I assume you are in NZ as stella at 10:52 am is something I am known to partake in but not shout about!
Hulme the nice bit? you are pulling my plonker there. TV is so crap here I am reduced to this on Sat night.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

You're not my father in law are you? Point taken, you look at the world your way since it works for you, (I've learned not to argue)

My glass is always 1/2 full, can't help it - just is. It usually gets me what I want, one way or another. Husband is the same, oldest can be a pessimistic pain in the bum (takes after Grandad), but the youngest makes up for his doom and gloom.

I'll warn the oldest to watch out for the webbed fingered, car steeling locals - and tell him the only eating out we'll be doing is out of dustbins, lol.

In the mean time I'll go and look at some pink and fluffy threads, I saw some pictures of dolphins somewhere, and it's a respectable time to open a bottle of wine now. I'll leave you with some happy vibes, but you don't have to accept them if you think they'll spoil your fun.

Originally Posted by Avid
The higher your expectations then the more chance of feeling let down. And, needless to say, the lower your expectations then the greater chance of a pleasant surprise.

Applies to everything, really.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:26 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

have you not discovered:

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/
http://www.alluc.org/
http://freetube.us.tc/
http://www.youtvpc.com/
http://quicksilverscreen.com/
http://southparkzone.com/

Not exaggerating no need for a TV ever again with these.

PS/ they all stream no downloading
Old May 26th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

have you not discovered:

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/
http://www.alluc.org/
http://freetube.us.tc/
http://www.youtvpc.com/
http://quicksilverscreen.com/
http://southparkzone.com/

Not exaggerating no need for a TV ever again with these.

PS/ they all stream no downloading
Cheers for that. I have a Slingbox in the UK that streams my Sat. One problem over here (CHC) ISP and download limit. All the decent providers run limited packages, and the ones that don't manage you off the network.
Here you go, another moan about NZ we live near the sea and the din it makes keeps you awake. It's not the gentle lapping of waves on the shore but a constant roar.
Old May 26th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, another moan about NZ we live near the sea and the din it makes keeps you awake. It's not the gentle lapping of waves on the shore but a constant roar.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered moving away from the annoying noise?? I would move from anywhere, at any cost if my sleep was fxxkxd with on a nightly basis.

Personally I would love to hear the so called 'constant roar'? Why do you continue to put up with it??
Old May 26th 2007, 11:51 am
Fight for the republic.

[

Have you considered moving away from the annoying noise?? I would move from anywhere, at any cost if my sleep was fxxkxd with on a nightly basis.

Personally I would love to hear the so called 'constant roar'? Why do you continue to put up with it??
[/QUOTE]
I think the poster was being sarcastic.
Old May 26th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Here you go, another moan about NZ we live near the sea and the din it makes keeps you awake. It's not the gentle lapping of waves on the shore but a constant roar.
You are so very lucky!
MOH uses ear-plugs! Not to keep out the sound of the sea though- to keep out the sound of my snoring! He can't move anywhere 'cos I'll find him.
Son used to sleep with his head-phones on top of ear plugs when he lived at home.
Wonder if that's why they moved to NZ? Found them!!
I'm deaf so I sleep like a top- get a private room in hospital as well!
Old May 26th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
The picture you paint is one of a paradise, no pro's & con's from you, do you have anything bad to say re CHC. I have posted good things and bad I think that is a balanced view. If your OH commutes by bike ask him what he thinks of the driving standards.
You sound just like another Apple who posts on here,do you have a twin?
Not to forget your question I have spent a lot of time in the Port Hills partaking in many activities. But I am not so keen on the theatre etc as I am not so keen on crowds.
This post didn't need any balance as it just did what is says in the title. PS Have you seen all the tyre marks on Dyres pass road after the weekends races also all the glass on the side of the road in the mornings after the Boyracers have been burning around all night. (pissed then they lob all the bottles out the window)

My heart stops almost when I hear the word Dyers Pass road. We lived on road. The lying bas@@@ds of estate agents did not tell us about the boy racer problems. It was 10000 x worse than you can even imagine. Every thurs - sund night until the early morning. My husband had someone come out and test the noise and it was more than that of a jet engine. Right on our door step.The last straw when one was chased off the summit and then right through our fence, crashed down two old trees and then landed into our dining room in our wooden house. I was preg at the time and my dog was nearly killed. It was too much. Before we left we managed to help get the big rocks placed on the summit road car parks so that they could not do their wheelies up there and drag racing. The night this happened to us there were over 500 cars on the summit, either getting there by Dyers Pass or the road just along. It was a living hell.

Oh and my dog when she was a puppy was hit by a bottle that was thrown from one of the cars and my neighbours regularly complained about cut paws on their dogs with all the broken glass. We were also tagged about 8 times in 12 months. All over our cream fence. Which had to be painted each time.

But dont want to come over negative...... I know how that infuriates some on here.....BUT it did happen and I can show you the pictures if you like.

Oh and the police were powerless. Completely.
Old May 26th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple13
I don't need to say anything bad about ChCh, there are plenty that do that already...

I am glad you have been enjoying the Port Hills, have you had a go on the mtb tracks yet? I love the walks out on Godley Head, just magic.

It was a lovely autumnal day in Christchurch today, what did you get up to?

Oh yes, and I was Apple12, now Apple13, lost my password, I didn't think that would be a problem?
I was told off for that. I used to post under a different name but then did not post for about two years and by that time had completely forgotten my login name, email address used and password. Then one ''nice'' (not) member on here had a real go at me about not declaring who I was on the first post. Even though I did not hide it at all and said I had posted before. Also tell the mods about it. I did.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lexylou
I was told off for that. I used to post under a different name but then did not post for about two years and by that time had completely forgotten my login name, email address used and password. Then one ''nice'' (not) member on here had a real go at me about not declaring who I was on the first post. Even though I did not hide it at all and said I had posted before. Also tell the mods about it. I did.
yeah well, maybe my aim is to be helpful to those with specific questions about ChCh, and I don't intend to start any cyber riots... not my style.
Old May 26th 2007, 9:40 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Leyxlou - that sounds hiddeous, I am so sorry to hear this, I cant imagine how hiddeous that was. No wonder you dont have fond thoughts about NZ.

We had a dreadful situation when we first got here. We bought a house at a Mortgagee auction, with lots of support of real estate etc. Due to the completion time falling over christmas, the previous owners were given 7 weeks to leave, because NZ shuts down. That gave them 7 weeks to gut the house completely. They removed the kitchen, the bathroom, all lights at ceiling level, plug points, gates, waterheater, all the doors, even cupboard doors and all they left was a firebox and the front door. 13 doors missing, including 3 sets of french doors. I discovered this when passing through to sort out uniform at my eldest's new school. We had been advised after the auction to insure the house - did so. Wasnt made aware that the insurance company had driven past the house, looked up the drive and as it was an old tumble down villa had decided it was likely to still be *on scrim* so only gave us a *Market value* policy. The significance of this would have meant little until the morning after the discovery.

We got the realtor who had assured me he had been to the house that morning to see if they were moving out (clearly he hadnt been there and wasnt protecting our interests at all) to come up with me. I locked the car doors with the children in as we walked up the drive to see if anyone was in. We walked in and found it stripped bare and even floors were pulled up just to be destructive. We walked to the rear of the house - he got on the phone to the Selling Bank to inform them of the situation and they handed over the house to me there and then........................like I wanted it! We called the police, they werent interested, 48 hours later someone ambled up and wanted to see if we were the previous owners and just checking WE werent looting or something :curse:.

We had 2 very young children, 2 dogs and had to move in to the house to protect it from further problems of the previous owners or vandals returning. We had boards up at the open holes and slept on inflatable mattresses in one room with crow bars.

The issue is that at a mortgagee sale people arent required to leave chattels, and the sale is therefore for fixtures and the house itself. The Police would not see our point of view that doors, Kitchen cabinets, sink units, baths, showers etc were not chattels, they were integral to the house. They have finally come on board and have had a warrant for this man's arrest out for the last 3 years. We know where this man lives and his family live in the same town!!

Well, being English we hoped the insurance was going to sort this out. Er...no. The little insurance man came round the first morning after, he walked in and said *you know about a Market value policy??* to which I said no. Well it means that an old door in a house is lets say worth $100 down a reclaimation yard................the insurance company will give you 10% less that figure to replace your stuff. So in total, for the bathroom, the kitchen, the water heater, the gates, the lighting fixtures and all the work that was required to put these things in and get people to secure the house - they gave us $7000. The doors were oversized and not available in any of the reclaimation yards we rang and visited - a quote for replacement new ones was $16000. But that wasnt a bit important to the insurance company.

Anyway, 10 weeks later, we are still arguing the toss with the insurance company and the police found the doors and some of the kitchen and bathroom stored in town. The insurance company said that they would have the haul dropped off at the house and whatever we didnt now want (because we had done some work to replace the stuff) we could leave for them to sell on...............but we would need to pay some money back to them. So the stuff came back and all we wanted was the doors. The insurance company then called an auction comapny to come and collect the rest for sale and busily worked out what we needed to pay them back! Well this company turned up, laughed and rang the insurance guy and told him it was tat and they werent taking it! I was asked to get it sold by whatever means I could - they on some level trusted me as I was their client.......mistake. I sold the whole lot ($12000 worth of stuff it turns out) for $50 to the local reclaimation yard we liked the most! We paid back $1800 and changed insurance company!

We have never quite got over that, and we made history I think as far as mortgagee sales go!! In the local area only a fire surround has gone missing. We had potbellies and loads of original features ripped out. Talk about renovation hell! The previous owners were dodgey to say the least and they turned it into a drug house during those 7 weeks, so we are lucky it wasnt a P lab!

Sorry to hyjack - just wanted to stand up and say *we have had a crap story about NZ too*.............not as bad as Lexylou's. I am so sorry that all happened to you! Even 4 years on, we are still known as that Pom family with THAT house.........and at every opportunity Kiwis like to ell me that it was done because we were POMs. These previous owners could have sold their house to us in the previous 6 weeks before auction and got the asking price they wanted, but no. Am I bitter about it - yes!!!

Sorry again for the hyjack!!
Old May 26th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Hi Poppy, just curious...?
How long were you in NZ before you decided to buy at auction?
Not to downplay your story at all, just wanting a bit more info. TBH honest it sounds like as new immigrants, who did not know the ins and outs of real estate and insurance, you were seen to be ripe for the picking. I am not sure it would necessarily be because you are English, any new immigrant from anywhere runs the risk of this kind of thing unless time is taken to do the research.

Last edited by Apple13; May 26th 2007 at 10:05 pm.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[
I think the poster was being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't, genuine question to a genuine problem.
Old May 26th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think the poster was being sarcastic.
He wasn't, genuine question to a genuine problem.[/QUOTE]

Tongue in cheek, as you do get used to it. Depending which way the wind blows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.