Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old May 31st 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Originally Posted by lardyl
Well, firstly the trains south of the bridge aren't much cop according to my workmates and the radio, plus looking at them (maybe 3 or 4 diesel units together in a row on crappy track that should have been upgraded 30 years ago) as I sit in a jam on the motorway I'd suggest that they ain't gonna move the number of people that are queuing on the southern motorway on an average morning - I happen to drive in that direction pretty early some days when I *have* to drive south of the city - for work (for example had to get to Hamilton for 0930 yesterday so another 0600 start was required) my work is almost impossible to do via public transport unless like today involved a wander over the road to a site.
I wasn't complaining about not being able to do the work commute via bus rather the fact that the roads here aren't coping at the moment, plus all the building going on in Albany and soon to be started in Silverdale (do you know how many homes are planned for that area? talking to the teachers at Silverdale Primary before my son started school and the numbers are huge given that there is little there at the moment - before/without Penlink that is gonna be another nightmare). Combined this is going to make any commute to CBD or points South even more difficult and snarl up an already congested road system. The bus lanes may help some people but I doubt they will shift many Kiwis out of their 4x4s, UTEs, etc. Plus the junction improvements just before the bridge say 2009 for completion, which will really screw up people coming from the south end of the shore for the next 2 years - gulp. Having said that I did get a decent run home tonight - 45 minutes - but that was at 7.00pm.
My point remains, Auckland has nowhere near the necessary public transport infrastructure and anyone who is coming from almost any city/large town in the UK will be shocked at the congestion and should consider where they want to live carefully before commiting.
BTW, when I have caught the bus (in Orewa) at early rush hour it has taken me over an hour to reach the city, most of which was spent on the on/off ramps and getting along the crawl where the bus lane has been closed for the improvements. Coming back has been equally bad. But then I have only done this a couple of times for meetings. Considered the Gulf Harbour ferry but the only time I got there it was cancelled due to bad weather.
A course on motorway driving & sign reading would probably help!!!!!
When driving south towards the bridge there are loads of signs for which lane to be in, but no-one bothers with them & after the bridge you get loons crossing from lane 1 to 5 causing everyone behind to slam on their brakes.
If they all got in the correct lanes well before the bridge the traffic would flow far better. Banning undertaking & use of mobile phones would help as well.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Well, firstly the trains south of the bridge aren't much cop according to my workmates and the radio, plus looking at them (maybe 3 or 4 diesel units together in a row on crappy track that should have been upgraded 30 years ago) as I sit in a jam on the motorway I'd suggest that they ain't gonna move the number of people that are queuing on the southern motorway on an average morning - I happen to drive in that direction pretty early some days when I *have* to drive south of the city - for work (for example had to get to Hamilton for 0930 yesterday so another 0600 start was required) my work is almost impossible to do via public transport unless like today involved a wander over the road to a site.
I wasn't complaining about not being able to do the work commute via bus rather the fact that the roads here aren't coping at the moment, plus all the building going on in Albany and soon to be started in Silverdale (do you know how many homes are planned for that area? talking to the teachers at Silverdale Primary before my son started school and the numbers are huge given that there is little there at the moment - before/without Penlink that is gonna be another nightmare). Combined this is going to make any commute to CBD or points South even more difficult and snarl up an already congested road system. The bus lanes may help some people but I doubt they will shift many Kiwis out of their 4x4s, UTEs, etc. Plus the junction improvements just before the bridge say 2009 for completion, which will really screw up people coming from the south end of the shore for the next 2 years - gulp. Having said that I did get a decent run home tonight - 45 minutes - but that was at 7.00pm.
My point remains, Auckland has nowhere near the necessary public transport infrastructure and anyone who is coming from almost any city/large town in the UK will be shocked at the congestion and should consider where they want to live carefully before commiting.
BTW, when I have caught the bus (in Orewa) at early rush hour it has taken me over an hour to reach the city, most of which was spent on the on/off ramps and getting along the crawl where the bus lane has been closed for the improvements. Coming back has been equally bad. But then I have only done this a couple of times for meetings. Considered the Gulf Harbour ferry but the only time I got there it was cancelled due to bad weather.
Come to Welly,brother
Old May 31st 2007, 12:06 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
A course on motorway driving & sign reading would probably help!!!!!
When driving south towards the bridge there are loads of signs for which lane to be in, but no-one bothers with them & after the bridge you get loons crossing from lane 1 to 5 causing everyone behind to slam on their brakes.
If they all got in the correct lanes well before the bridge the traffic would flow far better. Banning undertaking & use of mobile phones would help as well.
yep, also banning idiots in the outside lane just sitting there - like the fool tonight with 5 or 6 people going down inside before they pull into a clear inside lane.
The lane jumpers drive me mad as I get in outside lane at Greville and stay there to Sthn M/Way in spite of the temptation to dodge "between the ramps" and gain many car lengths.........
The real problem is the North Shore and all the traffic entering before the bridge S bound and squeezing down just after the bridge N bound.
Not gonna get any better as far as I can see - so I leave home at 0600 and try to leave the office at 1530, but it dont always work like that!!
Old May 31st 2007, 12:07 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Come to Welly,brother
sorely tempted dude, esp as work have floated the idea of moving south - gotta wait until the end of the school year though and dont wanna screw the missus's emoloyer!!!
Old May 31st 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

sorely tempted dude, esp as work have floated the idea of moving south - gotta wait until the end of the school year though and dont wanna screw the missus's emoloyer!!!
Is she pretty-with perky boobs?
Old May 31st 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

yep, also banning idiots in the outside lane just sitting there - like the fool tonight with 5 or 6 people going down inside before they pull into a clear inside lane.
The lane jumpers drive me mad as I get in outside lane at Greville and stay there to Sthn M/Way in spite of the temptation to dodge "between the ramps" and gain many car lengths.........
The real problem is the North Shore and all the traffic entering before the bridge S bound and squeezing down just after the bridge N bound.
Not gonna get any better as far as I can see - so I leave home at 0600 and try to leave the office at 1530, but it dont always work like that!!
The answer is another bridge, which I read the another week has been acknowledged, but there are no plans to look at it within the next 10 years!!!
Mind you after the Esmonde Road fiasco it would probably take them 20 years to build it. We got caught up in the Esmonde Road works on our recce in February 2005 & it's just finished.......how long!!!!!
Old May 31st 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

After reading most of this long long thread just had to jump in and ask out of curiosity which country the people (ones that havent already left) who are now not happy in NZ are planning on going to or wish they were going to? As someone wrote 'better to be going to somewhere you want to go to than staying where your unhappy' Im personally hoping to get the opportunity to suss out NZ for myself. Been to Oz and liked ....... im in unique position my kids r rugby daft and cant wait to get out of Scotland and try something new as they are very sporty and love beach life. Im not going to knock Scotland as I am patriotic ................. I just dont feel anything has improved for my kids future in my area compared to when I was growing up..............if anything alot worse. I will probably be the only one in the family thats homesick but willing to give it a try..............scared I regret it otherwise.
I enjoy reading all the positive and negative posts very thought provoking.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:34 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
The answer is another bridge, which I read the another week has been acknowledged, but there are no plans to look at it within the next 10 years!!!
Mind you after the Esmonde Road fiasco it would probably take them 20 years to build it. We got caught up in the Esmonde Road works on our recce in February 2005 & it's just finished.......how long!!!!!
The Onewa Road Interchange has now started (finish 2009) so that'll be another pain in the butt. BUT, - it's got to be done. There isn't any way of improving the roads without (relative) short-term inconvenience. Have you ever had to live through road building before? It seems to me that I've been living through it for the past 10 years as the roads in Ireland were upgraded - and they all seemed to be on my bus route. But, I got philosophical about it eventually. No pain, no gain.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:00 am
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jill1420
After reading most of this long long thread just had to jump in and ask out of curiosity which country the people (ones that havent already left) who are now not happy in NZ are planning on going to or wish they were going to? As someone wrote 'better to be going to somewhere you want to go to than staying where your unhappy' Im personally hoping to get the opportunity to suss out NZ for myself. Been to Oz and liked ....... im in unique position my kids r rugby daft and cant wait to get out of Scotland and try something new as they are very sporty and love beach life. Im not going to knock Scotland as I am patriotic ................. I just dont feel anything has improved for my kids future in my area compared to when I was growing up..............if anything alot worse. I will probably be the only one in the family thats homesick but willing to give it a try..............scared I regret it otherwise.
I enjoy reading all the positive and negative posts very thought provoking.
God, don't be put off!!! I seriously wonder reading posts on this site which NZ some people are living in!!!
Of course it's not perfect (if you want that, try getting residency in the sEychelles) but it offers alot more than England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales put together IMHO
You love sports, esp rugby - CHECK!
You love beach life - CHECK!
Safety for kids and improved lifestyle benefits - CHECK!

If you want any other positives, I'd be happy to oblige in a PM - just don't wanna 'corrupt' the slag off NZ thread, for fear of being accused as a hijacker ;0)
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Batty;4859255] There isn't any way of improving the roads without (relative) short-term inconvenience. Have you ever had to live through road building before? QUOTE]

Yes, saw a bypass built next to us in the UK about 4 times longer than Esmonde Road done & dusted in 14 months.
Did you know they have dug up & relaid the surface 8 times on Esmonde Road because of vibration problems with the houses. I think they need to seriously look at their performance, seems really poor & they didn't get rid of the bottleneck, still only got 1 lane onto the motorway.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:33 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by KiwiKate
God, don't be put off!!! ......... I seriously wonder reading posts on this site which NZ some people are living in!!!.....If you want any other positives, I'd be happy to oblige in a PM - just don't wanna 'corrupt' the slag off NZ thread, for fear of being accused as a hijacker ;0)
yep, NZ is a great place to raise your kids and I could go back to the UK pretty much tomorrow if I wanted to (some would say I am lucky in that regard) and I choose to stay in spite of many aspects of life that are worse here than they were for *us* in the UK. There are things that need to be aired and there needs to be balance here, pretty much anyone who lives on the North Shore will say its a great place to be but anyone who drives either as a commute or around Greater Auckland on a regular basis will bemoan the years of under-investment in transport infrastructure (you will tell from their posts and locations, sorry Kate but Northland doesn't count as the "same NZ" as Auckland wrt traffic/transport although Warkworth is in the throes of deciding what to do ablout all the extrad traffic that will shunted north as Auckland expands!!). If you thought the UK was bad NZ is worse and looking at the AKL area it ain't gonna get better fast - *but* most of us just take it as part of life. However, there are some things that are way behind UK and you will find out what they are when you arrive, some people will be really bugged by them and some will leave as a result but if no-one posts about them then you may not at least be aware of the issues.
Of course nowhere is perfect and all of life is compromise, just dont come to NZ and assume that it will be everything to everyone - I for one miss many of the luxuries that we took for granted in the UK, but hey I'm not Kate or you.
One conclusion to draw is that there are at least two NZs, Auckland and the rest.........and you pays your money..............
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:37 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

I for one miss many of the luxuries
Three of my favourite things in the world are, garlic, artichokes (whole not just the hearts) and assparagus.

Will I be able to get a good quality selection of the above?

I don't know if this deserves a whole new thread?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:40 am
you dewty owld maan!

Seen all those veges here.........garlic and asparagus have been purchased - not sure what the seasonal effects are but you'll find less range out of season than in the UK and much much bigger price differentials between in-season and out-of-season fruit/veges - eg there were NZ apples at 50cents a kilo at the local fruit & vege shop the other day and green kiwi fruit prices tend to be around $1NZ a kilo at seasonal times but were higher earlier in the summer AFIK
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:42 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

AFIK?

ta, lardy L.

what is everyones favourite way to use garlic. at the moment I enjoy grating it.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:49 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
AFIK?

ta, lardy L.

what is everyones favourite way to use garlic. at the moment I enjoy grating it.
I use it to ward off MrsL during the night..........

AFIK - as far as I know --- we only arrived in January so kinda mid-summer
I started a thread somewhere that talked about season veges but I cant divulge where that might be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.