Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Originally Posted by danny.f
Is she pretty-with perky boobs?
mmm.....he's a bloke with grey hair and the bg boss is a lady who could pin me against the wall and interfere with me if she was so inclined
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:01 pm
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep, NZ is a great place to raise your kids and I could go back to the UK pretty much tomorrow if I wanted to (some would say I am lucky in that regard) and I choose to stay in spite of many aspects of life that are worse here than they were for *us* in the UK.

Good for you mate! The only aspect of life that's worse for us here is that we have a bit less wonga, but given that we are doing more 'free' activities it kind of balances itself out.

There are things that need to be aired and there needs to be balance here, pretty much anyone who lives on the North Shore will say its a great place to be but anyone who drives either as a commute or around Greater Auckland on a regular basis will bemoan the years of under-investment in transport infrastructure (you will tell from their posts and locations, sorry Kate but Northland doesn't count as the "same NZ" as Auckland wrt traffic/transport although Warkworth is in the throes of deciding what to do ablout all the extrad traffic that will shunted north as Auckland expands!!).

No, Northland has it's own transport probs, just not big enough to moan about regularly - jeez, you should see the state of the metal road that my house is on, it's scratched my car to buggery! Besides, I have friends on the north shore and (sorry to offend anyone here who thinks otherwise) I don't think 'pretty much anyone who lives on the North Shore will say it's a great place to be' - those I know who did settle there are desperate to be out - more fool them for buying before trying.

If you thought the UK was bad NZ is worse and looking at the AKL area it ain't gonna get better fast - *but* most of us just take it as part of life. However, there are some things that are way behind UK and you will find out what they are when you arrive, some people will be really bugged by them and some will leave as a result but if no-one posts about them then you may not at least be aware of the issues.
Of course nowhere is perfect and all of life is compromise, just dont come to NZ and assume that it will be everything to everyone - I for one miss many of the luxuries that we took for granted in the UK, but hey I'm not Kate or you.

Yeah. I doubt the luxuries I miss coincide with yours - Topshop, Warehouse, Oasis, Oxford St, Camden Market, Portobello rd (I could go on but you get the drift) aside from all that, I had no other luxuries in UK - aside from massive tax breaks, but hey ho, no-one comes here for the money!!

One conclusion to draw is that there are at least two NZs, Auckland and the rest.........and you pays your money..............
True, true ... choose wisely!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
This must be that parallel universe Auckland again. I live well out of town (near you I think). I can drive into Albany and be on a bus within 20 min of leaving my house, in rush hour. I can park at the station for free, and 25 min after that will be in Auckland CBD. Once they finish the bus lane, it will be better still. If I was living south of the bridge, I could even catch a train. If I'm silly enough to live in a northern suburb and try to work in a southern one, then I'll have to take my chances.
No, not a parallel universe you must be just one of the early birds who can manage to get one of the 300 parking spaces, to enable yuo to get on the bus. What a laugh it, has to be the most pathetic, poor excuse, of an attempt at a public transport system in the whole wide world. It doesn't take much more than an abacus to figure out that a bus leaves the station every fifteen minutes all day long with capacity for 50 + people - so why do the majority of buses leave the station practically empty? Somewone forgot the one key point of the 'Park' bit of a Park & Ride system. How exactly does taking 300 Cars off the road fix the immense transport problems of North Auckland anyway? Within three weeks of opening they announced that there was not enough parking and people should be encouraged to 'kiss and ride' - too funny.

A sheer waste of a few hundred million dollars, endless roadworks and disruption to the motorway for how many years and it's still not finished.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
No, not a parallel universe you must be just one of the early birds who can manage to get one of the 300 parking spaces, to enable yuo to get on the bus. What a laugh it, has to be the most pathetic, poor excuse, of an attempt at a public transport system in the whole wide world. It doesn't take much more than an abacus to figure out that a bus leaves the station every fifteen minutes all day long with capacity for 50 + people - so why do the majority of buses leave the station practically empty? Somewone forgot the one key point of the 'Park' bit of a Park & Ride system. How exactly does taking 300 Cars off the road fix the immense transport problems of North Auckland anyway? Within three weeks of opening they announced that there was not enough parking and people should be encouraged to 'kiss and ride' - too funny.

A sheer waste of a few hundred million dollars, endless roadworks and disruption to the motorway for how many years and it's still not finished.
& it will just get worse & worse.
Don't know if anyone else experienced it, but 3 weeks ago at Saturday lunchtime there was a total gridlock around Devonport, Takapuna, Northcote & Milford, took us 1 3/4 hours to get to Glenfield Mall from Devonport......a sign of things to come????
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
& it will just get worse & worse.
Don't know if anyone else experienced it, but 3 weeks ago at Saturday lunchtime there was a total gridlock around Devonport, Takapuna, Northcote & Milford, took us 1 3/4 hours to get to Glenfield Mall from Devonport......a sign of things to come????
other park and rides are planned for further up the motorway - eg Silverdale, and Orewa and this *should* help a little with the massive parking build-up at the other downstream P&Rs. But you are right - it can only get worse as auckland moves north swallowing all in its wake - perhaps we need a second CBD in the N Shore? Or a tunnel under the whole of North Shore, or priority lanes for through traffic from N of the N Shore to avoid the lane swapping muppets....

BTW, is the big area of land being remodelled at Albany just north of the car parks due to be more car park space or more industrial units? Anyone got inside info??
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl

BTW, is the big area of land being remodelled at Albany just north of the car parks due to be more car park space or more industrial units? Anyone got inside info??
Not sure which bit you mean as there is so much building going on around there, new roads have been there for quite some waiting for prospective buyers of the land. I think most of it is residential apart from the Westfield shopping centre which is well underway for opening this year. They just released a further phase of Harrowglen whole new subdivision north side of Oteha Valley road which will bring hundreds more ticky tacky boxes and people to the area.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Not sure which bit you mean as there is so much building going on around there, new roads have been there for quite some waiting for prospective buyers of the land. I think most of it is residential apart from the Westfield shopping centre which is well underway for opening this year. They just released a further phase of Harrowglen whole new subdivision north side of Oteha Valley road which will bring hundreds more ticky tacky boxes and people to the area.
its right by the motorway, past the "(almost) always chocca park/ride" on the left hand side as you head north past Albany or Constellation Station (can't remember which and haven't driven past in the daylight for a few weeks ) there have been excavators out taking off the topsoil for a while. It seems to be in the places where the cars spill over from the P&R carpark.
Also just look at the google earth satellite views of that area and how much has been developed since the pictures were taken! And as everyone says it can only get worse!! No doubt the same is happening and has happened out west and down south - the trouble with having the city on an isthmus, not a good idea!!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:31 pm
BartonThink

Aha, so you ARE allowed to post negative stuff about NZ?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:45 pm
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by BartonThink
Aha, so you ARE allowed to post negative stuff about NZ?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Note to self: Stay away from AKL.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like AKL isn't much better than SE UK, traffic wise
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wessa. Many people , living in and around Auckland , are happy with their lives when you read their posts. Traffic is everywhere. Cities get more . Villages get less. It's a personal choice whether you live with 'traffic' or not.

I have no idea why, Pascalr , you would search out this old thread & choose to respond to a troll 7 months after the event.

Let's not go there eh people Move on ! New, more timely threads await your helpful responses.

Thread closed me hearties.