Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old May 29th 2007, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Originally Posted by The Weezer
As someone who could not easily continue their career because of Auckland's inadequate public transportation, I think it's important that people know what Auckland's particular urban problems are.
That's a strange one, are you a train driver?
Originally Posted by The Weezer
It has actually has been pointed out in another thread by another poster, that in many NZ towns, houses are built fairly close together even when surrounded by rural areas.
Yes, but what is the alternative when all the older houses are built on 1/4 acre sections? I'm personally a fan of doing something to control urban sprawl, and subdividing seems to achieve this to some extent. Even two houses on 1/4 acres is hugely less dense than any new development in the UK, or most other places in northern europe. So I think these things are best put in perpsective.
Old May 29th 2007, 6:44 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I was trying to remember lunch at my primary and intermediate schools over here and I can't recall lunch rooms either. We used to sit outside, sometime it was quite cold but I can't remember what we did when it was raining - I think we might have been allowed into the assembly hall.
We ate lunch in our classroom if wet and were allowed to move the desks and chairs around so we could play board games etc. It worked fine.
Old May 29th 2007, 6:50 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but what is the alternative when all the older houses are built on 1/4 acre sections? I'm personally a fan of doing something to control urban sprawl, and subdividing seems to achieve this to some extent. Even two houses on 1/4 acres is hugely less dense than any new development in the UK, or most other places in northern europe. So I think these things are best put in perpsective.
Why build Auckland up into some huge mega city anyway? Maybe the govt should look at expanding other major cities in the country. Geez NZ land wise is bigger than England, Scotland and Wales put together yet only has a pop of 4 million. Even if a heavy reliance on agricultural products remains there is still plenty of land to utilise provided it's developed with care. There is no reason for high density living in NZ as long as plans for growth are thought through properly,implemented, monitored and reviewed as need be.
Old May 29th 2007, 8:40 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and they never seem to have hose-pipe bans over here. In UK, you always had a great excuse for not washing the car or watering the garden in the summer, not so in NZ

PS - I have a bomb, and if anyone moves I'm going to blow this thread to kingdom come
mmmm almost, but they do ban fires outdoors if there is a drought on as it is so dry, plus the street water is so chlorinated you have to buy/fit a filter for the kids to drink it. Alternatively you can go to tanked water off the roof with dead animals, no filtration and a reliance on the weather and/or the water tanker, in your case Hibiscus Coast Water!
Old May 29th 2007, 9:06 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

How about a SLAG OFF UK THREAD for those who want to go home to get back to the things they left to come here for .
You sad people who have nothing better to do than slag off the place YOU CHOSE to come to .You have the RIGHT TO LEAVE ,YOU WERE NOT ASKED TO COME HERE you applied and paid to do so .That may give you the right to complain but hey if you dont like what you paid for then the second word is OFF.
We came here to make a new life and are having a great time doing so and do not miss Walkers crisps or any of the other UK foods/sausages etc .You choose to come accept what is on offer.It will not change just for you .This is NZ ,WELCOME.

I will prob get some slagging off for this but the answer is **** off .

Ok Go for it slag me ,and the wife also
Old May 29th 2007, 9:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

that's just plain silly.......Auckland has little if any useable public transport, what is there does not work well and the roads are a nightmare, period.
These facts are best considered by people moving from the UK and assuming that they can get around decent distances without a car.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:15 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by cherry
How about a SLAG OFF UK THREAD...
go on then.......

...............start another thread
Old May 29th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

How about a SLAG OFF UK THREAD for those who want to go home to get back to the things they left to come here for .
You sad people who have nothing better to do than slag off the place YOU CHOSE to come to .You have the RIGHT TO LEAVE ,YOU WERE NOT ASKED TO COME HERE you applied and paid to do so .That may give you the right to complain but hey if you dont like what you paid for then the second word is OFF.
We came here to make a new life and are having a great time doing so and do not miss Walkers crisps or any of the other UK foods/sausages etc .You choose to come accept what is on offer.It will not change just for you .This is NZ ,WELCOME.

I will prob get some slagging off for this but the answer is **** off .

No slagging off.
You must be very bitter towards people who have different opinions. Nobody has made pathetic remarks on any of the threads you like to contribute to. It should be live and let live, if you don't like it as you said F*** off. You want to slag the UK off fine I will join in. As you said in your pm to me a certain member pisses you off why? just because they are different to you. So why let people on here get under your skin, it is just a forum. Tolerance is virtue and NZ society is allegedly one of the most easy going. I see this is one part of Kiwi life you do not embrace.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
No slagging off.
You must be very bitter towards people who have different opinions. Nobody has made pathetic remarks on any of the threads you like to contribute to. It should be live and let live, if you don't like it as you said F*** off. You want to slag the UK off fine I will join in. As you said in your pm to me a certain member pisses you off why? just because they are different to you. So why let people on here get under your skin, it is just a forum. Tolerance is virtue and NZ society is allegedly one of the most easy going. I see this is one part of Kiwi life you do not embrace.
Do not rise to it. He is trying to get banned and has asked to be banned. Ignore him, otherwise you will get dragged down by it.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Dimples is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
No slagging off.
Some kiwis and some in particular I work with take things far too seriously and find it hard to show emotions or have a laugh and many look older then there age. Has the sun aged them or has life been very hard for them? Some Kiwis are not good listeners,when it comes to listening to immigrants, especially if you come from the land of the Pom!! I do find having a good laugh hard to come by in the land of the kiwi. Early years yet though!!!
Old May 29th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
that's just plain silly.......Auckland has little if any useable public transport, what is there does not work well and the roads are a nightmare, period.
These facts are best considered by people moving from the UK and assuming that they can get around decent distances without a car.
This must be that parallel universe Auckland again. I live well out of town (near you I think). I can drive into Albany and be on a bus within 20 min of leaving my house, in rush hour. I can park at the station for free, and 25 min after that will be in Auckland CBD. Once they finish the bus lane, it will be better still. If I was living south of the bridge, I could even catch a train. If I'm silly enough to live in a northern suburb and try to work in a southern one, then I'll have to take my chances.

Sure, it's not as good as London or a whole heap of other cities and I would not live in Auckland, or anywhere for that matter, without a car. But "losing your career due to a lack of public transport"??? Get a car. Learn to drive. Move house. Get over it. None of these are that hard, especially not for a presumably intelligent person who has had the resources to move half way across the world. Hence my flippant question about being a train driver, because I can't think of any other career which requires a public transport that Auckland hasn't got.

Apologies to anyone who is blind etc and is therefore incapable of driving but I guess you haven't read this either
Old May 29th 2007, 12:35 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

'cherry' is one of those 'husband and wife sharing a username' combos?

I wish I knew that earlier...I thought 'cherry' was a female poster and I was being quite polite and old-fashioned in not ripping her head off for some of the nonsense she was posting about me!

Ahhh...there's no fool like an old fool....

though I'm not especially old....

The internet's a bit daunting, isn't it cherry? So many millions of people...some of them who don't like things, some of them who like things, a few who don't have to work, a lot who do have to work, some who make more money than you, some who don't....blah blah blah

And you are honestly telling people that they should leave the country because they are saying things that annoy you?

It would be a lot cheaper and simpler if you left...

But I'm sure we'd all rather you stayed, took a deep breath and realised what a boring world it would be if we were all the same.
Old May 29th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
'cherry' is one of those 'husband and wife sharing a username' combos?

I wish I knew that earlier...I thought 'cherry' was a female poster and I was being quite polite and old-fashioned in not ripping her head off for some of the nonsense she was posting about me!

Ahhh...there's no fool like an old fool....

though I'm not especially old....

The internet's a bit daunting, isn't it cherry? So many millions of people...some of them who don't like things, some of them who like things, a few who don't have to work, a lot who do have to work, some who make more money than you, some who don't....blah blah blah

And you are honestly telling people that they should leave the country because they are saying things that annoy you?

It would be a lot cheaper and simpler if you left...

But I'm sure we'd all rather you stayed, took a deep breath and realised what a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

Well said my friend. have some karma!
Old May 29th 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

I think what Chezzer is trying to say is that there is an alternative. I don't buy into the 'can't afford to move back' business-I mean-sell your house and rent til you can afford-or get a loan and transfer it once you're back.
It is strange the amount of people who have moved here,hate it for whatever reason,then decide there's nothing to do about it than to come on here to tell us.
Empower yourselves,be flexible,honest,resourceful. Don't moan about it-take responsibility for your happiness.
No one is saying it's perfect here-it's expensive in my opinion,so don't spend as much. It's cold during the Winter!! **** me,now there's a concept. Cold Winters. Who'd have thought eh? Get some heating!!
What did people do when it was cold in Britain? The cars are loud,the tea's bad,the people smell,no-one can drive,the water's wet,it's windy,it's too hot,too cold,there's no ozone,the Health Care is rubbish,the clouds are long and white,the wages are crap,the hairdressers are useless,the telly's crap,there's no footy,Italy's better,never had this problem in Hull, they talk funny,New Zealand is rubbish even though I don't live there any more, the kids wear hoods,blah blah blah.
Don't stay,go away,do something about it or piss off. There is nowhere perfect on this planet,if there was-you moaning bastards would be there to spoil it.
If NZ isn't for you-never mind-unlucky-you tried,so try somewhere else,you've gone this far-anywhere else is closer to the UK.

Personally,despite its flaws,I love it,good people,loads of space,and my family are happy. So there.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danny.f
Italy's better
Not the driving! You trying for a fight again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.