Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old May 29th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Nor do they have fly screens - Oh, I think you already mentioned that a million times, sorry.

Apology accepted. I'm glad you brought up fly screens!

I was trying to remember lunch at my primary and intermediate schools over here and I can't recall lunch rooms either... I don't remember anyone going down with hypothermia or pneumonia, nor does it seem to have done me any lasting damage.
No lasting damage, perhaps. But that's miles away from understanding the need to give children a comfortable place to enjoy a good meal. Would adults readily tolerate being put outside in all weathers to eat lunch standing up? Why do it to the kids?
Eating outside in such a manner does not encourage good habits or a good diet.

My mum always made us all packed lunches except once a week or so we were allowed the unhealthy pie option.
I would understand eating unhealthy food if it tasted good, but I don't think those pies do. They must be an acquired taste. I've also heard that in the last few years, the quality of the pies has deteriorated, so perhaps you enjoyed better food in your youth.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 29th 2007 at 1:09 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

There are far too many trees in NZ, clear them away and make room for some more shops. And as for all those lakes, isn't there enough water here ?
Old May 29th 2007, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

How are you supposed to bond with your new cd if you arrive at work 15 min after you have left the house...?
Old May 29th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
There are far too many trees in NZ, clear them away and make room for some more shops. And as for all those lakes, isn't there enough water here ?
I think the power that be agree with you.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10441933

Notice the government considers commercial pine plantations as evidence of "reforestation." The native bush continues to shrink and you don't hear much outcry about that.
To a North American, NZ seems lacking in trees, so much so that my NZ South Island born and raised boyfriend said he never saw so many trees until he visited back east (US).
Old May 29th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Is this a new team strategy to highjack the thread?
Old May 29th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Why does the government bother having NZ Standard time.
DEFY the government at the start of NZ Daylight savings Time by refusing to put your clocks forward at 2.00 in the morning. 'Save' the hour for later in the day. You still get your lie-in and you can fast forward your day when it suits you, like when there is nothing on telly.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
No lasting damage, perhaps. But that's miles away from understanding the need to give children a comfortable place to enjoy a good meal. Would adults readily tolerate being put outside in all weathers to eat lunch standing up? Why do it to the kids?
They've been inside, sitting down, for the whole morning. Don't you think it could be a good thing to get them outside in the fresh air and standing up/walking around?
Seriously, I don't think this is a big issue. It just amuses me somewhat that this - and fly screens - seem to be so important to you.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

They've been inside, sitting down, for the whole morning. Don't you think it could be a good thing to get them outside in the fresh air and standing up/walking around?
Yes, exercise and fresh air are important, after they've had a good meal.
They get exercise during gym and interval periods too.

Seriously, I don't think this is a big issue. It just amuses me somewhat that this - and fly screens - seem to be so important to you.
Enjoying a meal in comfort and eating well are extremely important to me, and I think I would consider those things important to my children.

I don't like flies in the house - they poo all over the place, and lay eggs on things, and I find it generally off-putting. I don't like mosquitos or moths in the house either, and you can't beat cross ventilation on those summer nights, bugless, of course. This summer, because we had screens, we used the fan only once. The cool breeze makes the room quite comfortable in all but the hottest of evenings.

We all have our own particular concerns. There are other things I could mention, and do. I work in schools and it never fails to bother me seeing kids standing outside in the cold rain during their lunch periods.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 29th 2007 at 3:51 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and they never seem to have hose-pipe bans over here. In UK, you always had a great excuse for not washing the car or watering the garden in the summer, not so in NZ

PS - I have a bomb, and if anyone moves I'm going to blow this thread to kingdom come
Old May 29th 2007, 4:42 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Most (all?)

Most schools do not provide healthful food; they sell mostly high sugar pastries, disgusting pies and sausage rolls, and otherwise unwholesome food and drink. The selections are always very limited.

These are facts.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10442364
Hey Weezer, we havent been here that long that my memory has gone. The school my kids went to in the States served up hamburgers, Pizza, Nachos & other such rubbish. You call that healthy They weren't allowed to take packed lunches
Old May 29th 2007, 4:48 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

To a North American, NZ seems lacking in trees, so much so that my NZ South Island born and raised boyfriend said he never saw so many trees until he visited back east (US).
Oh come on!!!!!!! goodness me, did you ever get out of New Jersey, did you ever go west? We were in Nebraska hardly any trees at all & I could name quite a few other States too that were practically treeless.
Wyoming, Kansas, Arizona, Oklahoma New Mexico etc. etc. I could go on.
Old May 29th 2007, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyndi
Hey Weezer, we havent been here that long that my memory has gone. The school my kids went to in the States served up hamburgers, Pizza, Nachos & other such rubbish. You call that healthy They weren't allowed to take packed lunches
No, I don't call that healthy. In my school, we were allowed to take our own lunches, and most did.

I was responding to a "slag off New Zealand" thread.

Schools everywhere are not doing enough to improve food choices for children. It's no different here in New Zealand.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyndi
Oh come on!!!!!!! goodness me, did you ever get out of New Jersey, did you ever go west? We were in Nebraska hardly any trees at all & I could name quite a few other States too that were practically treeless.
Wyoming, Kansas, Arizona, Oklahoma New Mexico etc. etc. I could go on.
I've had the pleasure to see most states.
These states are (mostly) treeless because they lie within the Great Plains region or in the desert southwest. They have been, within recent geological times, treeless places, not deforested.

The northeastern parts of the US are heavily wooded.

To continue in the spirit of the thread:

My NZ boyfriend is really bothered by the trend of building homes in people's front and back sections. 1/4 sections are becoming increasingly more difficult to find and when they're sold, most are subdivided.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

My NZ boyfriend is really bothered by the trend of building homes in people's front and back sections. 1/4 sections are becoming increasingly more difficult to find and when they're sold, most are subdivided.
So you'd prefer it if Auckland was 2-3 times it's current size? Even if it took some deforestation of the Waitakeres and Riverhead to achieve this? How many people in London have sole use of a 1/4 section, do you think? Or New York? Or Lisbon? Or any other large developed city? I posted some figures in another thread a while ago which shows just how densely packed houses are in countries other than NZ.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

So you'd prefer it if Auckland was 2-3 times it's current size? Even if it took some deforestation of the Waitakeres and Riverhead to achieve this? How many people in London have sole use of a 1/4 section, do you think? Or New York? Or Lisbon? Or any other large developed city? I posted some figures in another thread a while ago which shows just how densely packed houses are in countries other than NZ.
Hard to compare a city of something over 1 million people to the hugely overpopulated cities you mention. Auckland CBD is very small, and doesn't house many people now, although that's changing.
I think it's hard for anyone to like rapid population increases where they live. How it affects a place is what's interesting, and different in each case.

I do think that Auckland has not done enough to plan for rapid developement and population increases. This is a constant complaint from NZers themselves and always a hot topic in the media. One of the issues is that NZers don't like the idea of high density urban housing, even if their alternative is renting a small house on a tiny plot of land and not enjoying property ownership or a reasonable garden to call their own. That puts a big strain on urban land use.

As someone who could not easily continue their career because of Auckland's inadequate public transportation, I think it's important that people know what Auckland's particular urban problems are.

It has actually has been pointed out in another thread by another poster, that in many NZ towns, houses are built fairly close together even when surrounded by rural areas.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 29th 2007 at 6:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.