Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Old May 25th 2007, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: The slag off New Zealand Ultimate Thread.

Originally Posted by Rascal
awe that was nice of them. Hope they didn't think you were too poor to buy though!

Why would they think that? I know we live in a crazy mixed up world, but the person who thinks that two cars and a house is 'poor' should probably take an extended vacation in africa...
Old May 25th 2007, 7:50 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well it feels seperatist when it is said based on the fact that we are percieved as being from a different nation - I call that racism, because in that moment they are not wanting to associate in anyway with me or *mother England* as they are free to comment about.
Being rather pedantic, what you experienced was 'bigotry' and not 'racism' although the two can sometimes be almost identical.

Racism is a form of bigotry, based on ethnic differences.

So a white New Zealander telling a Brit to piss off is a bigot. And the same person telling a Maori to piss off is....very brave indeed..

Last edited by Avid; May 25th 2007 at 7:54 am.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:20 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Being rather pedantic, what you experienced was 'bigotry' and not 'racism' although the two can sometimes be almost identical.

Racism is a form of bigotry, based on ethnic differences.

So a white New Zealander telling a Brit to piss off is a bigot. And the same person telling a Maori to piss off is....very brave indeed..
And being even more pedantic - saying kiwis are humourless and sheep shaggers, is probably not a lot different from saying poms whinge. They are normally just a bit of stereotypical leg pulling, but I agree can be used in more serious ways.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour

Why would they think that? I know we live in a crazy mixed up world, but the person who thinks that two cars and a house is 'poor' should probably take an extended vacation in africa...
Coz there are a lot of poor people in NZ perhaps?
Or is the lack of a boat as well?
Old May 25th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour

They probably couldn't afford to get to Africa either.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:55 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
And being even more pedantic - saying kiwis are humourless and sheep shaggers, is probably not a lot different from saying poms whinge. They are normally just a bit of stereotypical leg pulling, but I agree can be used in more serious ways.
Of course racism comes in different strengths.

Anyone watch that 'Bad Neighbours' show on TV this week? They had this white couple (old, on benefits, bit feral) living next door to an Indian family (fairly average, quiet) and showed the arguments that were going on.

The white couple claimed that the Indians were stealing cats and eating them in curries! Quite daft...and in one way quite racist.

But you only had to look at people making the accusations to realise that they were just really stupid. Childlike in their dislike. They hadn't done that well out of life and were taking their frustrations out on people who looked different. Pitiful, really.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course racism comes in different strengths.

Anyone watch that 'Bad Neighbours' show on TV this week? They had this white couple (old, on benefits, bit feral) living next door to an Indian family (fairly average, quiet) and showed the arguments that were going on.

The white couple claimed that the Indians were stealing cats and eating them in curries! Quite daft...and in one way quite racist.

But you only had to look at people making the accusations to realise that they were just really stupid. Childlike in their dislike. They hadn't done that well out of life and were taking their frustrations out on people who looked different. Pitiful, really.
We watched this programme too Avid.
TBH We were both shocked and disappointed with the guys comments about 'immigrants coming into NZ stealing all the jobs and houses' and how it made him feel like he wanted to vomit!
Now comments like this we have been accustomed to over the years...but on air????
Of course he is entitled to his opinions, but I think it was in bad taste to view it over the air.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rascal
We watched this programme too Avid.
TBH We were both shocked and disappointed with the guys comments about 'immigrants coming into NZ stealing all the jobs and houses' and how it made him feel like he wanted to vomit!
Now comments like this we have been accustomed to over the years...but on air????
Of course he is entitled to his opinions, but I think it was in bad taste to view it over the air.
What annoyed me was the tone of the programme. The voice over kept implying that it was all a big giggle and the script seemed very 'balanced' between the two sides when it was clear that the white couple were, at best, loonies!

The 'immigrants make me want to puke' line made me laugh out loud...it just seemed so weird.
Old May 26th 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Hi Apple,

What a lovely post - exactly the things I was hoping to read somewhere. After we've sorted out the boys with their school, the lifestyle we were looking for is tucked away in your post. Throw in a horse and campervan (not at the same time) and all our boxes are ticked. Doesn't have to happen over night, if at all, but it's nice to know it exsists somewhere!

Originally Posted by Apple13
I live in Christchurch too

and I love it. I am certainly never bored.

The Port Hills have loads of walking tracks with gorgeous views, plenty of mountain bike tracks. You can go crewing in a yacht in Lyttleton Harbour, great for an adrenaline rush. Nice beach at Sumner for an ice cream and a paddle. There is a big mall in Riccarton, and the Riccarton Market on a Sunday morning is simply enormous. There are heaps of movie theatres to suit every taste (love the ones in the Arts Centre) and there are loads of public parks for the kids to run around in and play. The Southern Alps are just a couple of hours away for tramping, skiing and rock climbing.

There are lovely bays and four wheel drive tracks to explore on Banks Peninsula, and the hot pools at Hanmer (1.5 hours drive) are magic when there is snow on the ground.

Oh and the cafes with great coffee (fav is She in Governers Bay for the views, and Metro in town), wineries around for tastings, good restaurants.

There is live theatre at the Arts Centre, and going to see the Crusaders at Jade Stadium is great, just take a wooly hat and a raincoat as it tends to rain =).

I live in a lovely, warm, insulated three bedroom house with a log burner. It has a very good sized section with a huge double garage, and it is only 25 min *walk* into the centre of town. My OH bike commutes to work, and I drive to the other side of town, and it only takes 20 min.

So as you can see, each to their own, every one is different, and the experiences of one person is not the experiences of all.
Old May 26th 2007, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
Hi Apple,

What a lovely post - exactly the things I was hoping to read somewhere. After we've sorted out the boys with their school, the lifestyle we were looking for is tucked away in your post. Throw in a horse and campervan (not at the same time) and all our boxes are ticked. Doesn't have to happen over night, if at all, but it's nice to know it exsists somewhere!

Utopia does not exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
If you think it's going to be perfect you are in for a surprise.
Good luck.
Old May 26th 2007, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Utopia does not exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I don't think anyone said it did?

How many of the activities and places in my post have you done/been too since you arrived in Christchurch, Mcuddy?

Last edited by Apple13; May 26th 2007 at 6:16 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 6:16 am

I just added a little balance to the thread. As I said... "So as you can see, each to their own, every one is different, and the experiences of one person is not the experiences of all.".
Well.....yes......but as this is a 'slag off New Zealand' thread then technically you weren't adding balance to it, you were just going off-topic.

But I'll certainly be using the 'adding balance' defence next time I hi-jack a thread I don't like!
Old May 26th 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Well.....yes......but as this is a 'slag off New Zealand' thread then technically you weren't adding balance to it, you were just going off-topic.

But I'll certainly be using the 'adding balance' defence next time I hi-jack a thread I don't like!
No hi-jack, just a different point of view - and I thought you vigorously defended the right to have a different point of view on this board?
And not off topic at all, I was responding to a post in the thread...

Last edited by Apple13; May 26th 2007 at 6:21 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 6:20 am

I thought you vigorously defended the right to have a different point of view on this board?
No. I want everybody to think exactly like me. It's a dream...but with enough work and belief...my dream will come true!!!!!
Old May 26th 2007, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

How many of the activities and places in my post have you done/been too since you arrived in Christchurch, Mcuddy?
The picture you paint is one of a paradise, no pro's & con's from you, do you have anything bad to say re CHC. I have posted good things and bad I think that is a balanced view. If your OH commutes by bike ask him what he thinks of the driving standards.
You sound just like another Apple who posts on here,do you have a twin?
Not to forget your question I have spent a lot of time in the Port Hills partaking in many activities. But I am not so keen on the theatre etc as I am not so keen on crowds.
This post didn't need any balance as it just did what is says in the title. PS Have you seen all the tyre marks on Dyres pass road after the weekends races also all the glass on the side of the road in the mornings after the Boyracers have been burning around all night. (pissed then they lob all the bottles out the window)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.