Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skype for NZ-UK communications

Skype for NZ-UK communications

Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:35 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype for NZ-UK communications

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
The sort that plugs into your computer!!!

Unless of course yours has one built in.

If not, take a fiver and head down to PC World and get a cheap boom mic, or if you are feeling wealthier, a headset. your local ASDA probably sells them, or Comet, or Currys/Dixons etc.

Plug it in to the appropriate socket on the back of your PC (or front if you have a fancy PC).

Actually this is a bad idea... with your message count, Skype will be overloaded for sure once you start talking to people...
Waaaaaay too technical for me Simon...can you not post me a picture so I can take it into the nice lady at PC World and say "Here Lovey, I need one of these please" !!

How would I know if I have one built in...can you hear me now??? "£$% *££...

I have a very posh pc and I'm sure there will be no need for fumblin' around at the back!!

Skype has no idea does it really of what's about to hit it!!! mwahahahahahaha... well, it's all your fault Simon, you started this thread!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 12:03 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Oh no... what have I done...
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 12:06 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no... what have I done...
Don't worry, I've alerted them (Skype that is) to the fact that it's all your fault...

Where's the picture of the microphone that I need to get Simon?? Come on, you're letting the side down badly now...tempting me with all this technology and then denying me at the last hurdle....

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 2nd 2005 at 1:22 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:05 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Don't worry, I've alerted them (Skype that is) to the fact that it's all your fault...

Where's the picture of the microphone that I need to get Simon?? Come on, you're letting the side down badly now...tempting me with all this technology and then denying me at the last hurdle....
Skype allows you to do test calls Pinkie so just do one of those to see if you have an imbuilt microphone first. If you can't hear your own voice you prob need one
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 6:06 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Pinkie - buy yourself a nice webcam with mic built in - they're pretty much plug and play these days.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:41 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

OK here you go...

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:49 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

OK here you go...

(in a plummy voice...) This is the BBC
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 10:54 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Well after a year of resisting, I recently downloaded skype (www.skype.com). I had thought it was full of spyware or other malware, but it turns out it is clean. It installs easily, all you need is a microphone and some speakers.

Anyway, I have been trying it out and have found that the quality and clarity of calls to Europe is superb. best of all, it is essentially free - the basic service is free, the add-ons will cost you money though, and as you are using your internet connection and not your phone, the cost is whatever your internet connection costs.

It has to be the best tool out there for communicating with the mother country on the cheap, and I recommend it to all expats. I have no connection with skype and absolutely nothing to gain by recommending it, BTW.

My skype username is kiwijetpilot, so if anyone wants to chat rather than type, I'm online a lot. Maybe hear from some of you!
Hi
I may take you up on the offer if thats OK....ony reason have not done it so far is that i only know a few people that use it...and they are to do with "WORK" ...dont wanna speak to them.

Cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I've been experimenting with skype recently: a few observations:

- You can do video calls with "plugin" software, try spontania4skype (it's free)
- If you open a skypeout account, you can make calls to normal phone lines in most countries (from any country) for about 1.5 euro cents per minute. The quality is great - people won't know it's a VOIP call
- I've made skypeout calls using an IPAQ PDA using the wireless internet connection in a hotel - superb results at about 1% of the hotel telephone charges!

Haven't tried it from NZ yet but hopefully will have the chance to in November if my job offer comes through
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 2:45 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi

- You can do video calls with "plugin" software, try spontania4skype (it's free)
- If you open a skypeout account, you can make calls to normal phone lines in most countries (from any country) for about 1.5 euro cents per minute. The quality is great - people won't know it's a VOIP call
- I've made skypeout calls using an IPAQ PDA using the wireless internet connection in a hotel - superb results at about 1% of the hotel telephone charges!

Haven't tried it from NZ yet but hopefully will have the chance to in November if my job offer comes through
Huh???
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 3:58 pm
Don't let me get me....

OK here you go...

They said they're all sold out of these ones Simon....
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

we're connected - username joshlin2329 - have added those of you who have shared your username so if you get authorisation messages from some mad woman - its me!!
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Huh???
Any particular bit that confused you or is the modern technology just too much for an 80s chic?
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

They said they're all sold out of these ones Simon....
Hmmm looks like a shure 520dx

probably sold out in the 1950s..................
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi

Plugin - Can be used to fill a plug socket like an electronic rawlplug

Spontania4skype - Like the famous 'insania' by Peter Andre but spontanious and compatible with the sky providing that PE (physical Education) is incorporated

Skypeout account - An emitted report about Aerial Physical Education.

VOIP Call - The mating call of a Vole Of Independant Persuasion (An autosexual Vole )

IPAQ PDA - Inter Personal Amplitude Quotient - Parental Dependant Adult (A fat old person still living with, but philosophically divided from their parents)

NZ - Nebula Zoological (Like the northern lights but made of animals rather than ionised particles in a magnetic field and only found in the southern hemisphere)

By the way, a Magnetic Field is where they grow Compasses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.