Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skype for NZ-UK communications

Skype for NZ-UK communications

Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:10 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice
Default Skype for NZ-UK communications

Well after a year of resisting, I recently downloaded skype (www.skype.com). I had thought it was full of spyware or other malware, but it turns out it is clean. It installs easily, all you need is a microphone and some speakers.

Anyway, I have been trying it out and have found that the quality and clarity of calls to Europe is superb. best of all, it is essentially free - the basic service is free, the add-ons will cost you money though, and as you are using your internet connection and not your phone, the cost is whatever your internet connection costs.

It has to be the best tool out there for communicating with the mother country on the cheap, and I recommend it to all expats. I have no connection with skype and absolutely nothing to gain by recommending it, BTW.

My skype username is kiwijetpilot, so if anyone wants to chat rather than type, I'm online a lot. Maybe hear from some of you!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

debnjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Skype for NZ-UK communications

Yes, I agree. The quality from between UK and Oz is on a par with a normal telephone conversation (I'm on broadband, my mate in Perth is on dial-up). I use Messenger for the video, with Skype running alongside for the audio, as it is much faster than the Messenger audio. I'm hoping Skype are going to do a free video service as well.
John.

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Well after a year of resisting, I recently downloaded skype (www.skype.com). I had thought it was full of spyware or other malware, but it turns out it is clean. It installs easily, all you need is a microphone and some speakers.

Anyway, I have been trying it out and have found that the quality and clarity of calls to Europe is superb. best of all, it is essentially free - the basic service is free, the add-ons will cost you money though, and as you are using your internet connection and not your phone, the cost is whatever your internet connection costs.

It has to be the best tool out there for communicating with the mother country on the cheap, and I recommend it to all expats. I have no connection with skype and absolutely nothing to gain by recommending it, BTW.

My skype username is kiwijetpilot, so if anyone wants to chat rather than type, I'm online a lot. Maybe hear from some of you!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:28 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorted!
Mike Biddiscombe
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:34 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biddy
I'm sorted!
Mike Biddiscombe
You also appear to be banned!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:48 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

You also appear to be banned!
Banned - moi!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:51 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Banned - moi!
Biddy, if your in the potting shed, shouldn't that be spelt 'hoeing'?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:08 pm
Banned

Banned - moi!
Hmmm that was quick, your sins must have been minor!

Change your skype picture!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:01 pm
Give us a kiss

Hmmm that was quick, your sins must have been minor!

Change your skype picture!
Done.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We're on as username Segamad.

I went on Skype some time ago on the recommendation of one of my Aussie mates. We never got to talk on it because of the time difference and he and I were never online at the same time. I did get called by some Italian guy who couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Italian. That was a bit of a non starter. I must say the sound quality was great. I was utterly unclear with perfect clarity!!!

Regards
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:00 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We have Skype too, we call rellies and they call us all the time. There is sometimes a time delay cos we are all on dial up but the sound quality is like they are in the room with you really great. Nothing like the telephone and the best bit is it's free!!!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Hi

We're on as username Segamad.

I went on Skype some time ago on the recommendation of one of my Aussie mates. We never got to talk on it because of the time difference and he and I were never online at the same time. I did get called by some Italian guy who couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Italian. That was a bit of a non starter. I must say the sound quality was great. I was utterly unclear with perfect clarity!!!

Regards
Tried to add you to my contacts but Skype doesn't seem to know who you are! Are you sure about that username?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:13 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Tried to add you to my contacts but Skype doesn't seem to know who you are! Are you sure about that username?
I had that trouble and my rellies in the UK had to add me to theirs first
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:21 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, total numbnut here..what sort of microphone do you need then??? I have registered too btw..you have no idea how many pinkie pie's there are on skype!! I've had to be Pinkie1212 but don't call me until I find out what sort of flippin' mike I need!! Heeellllpppp me someone please!!!

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 1st 2005 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

debnjohn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Ok, total numbnut here..what sort of microphone do you need then???
Any microphone with a mini-jack plug for the pc connection
Laptops will have them built in.
I used to use an 'expensive' headset (approx £30). But I now have the sound routed through the hi-fi speakers (can hear someone 'calling' me throughout the house) and I use a swan-neck microphone from 'Poundland' - gives exceptionally clear results!
Cheers,
John
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Ok, total numbnut here..what sort of microphone do you need then???
The sort that plugs into your computer!!!

Unless of course yours has one built in.

If not, take a fiver and head down to PC World and get a cheap boom mic, or if you are feeling wealthier, a headset. your local ASDA probably sells them, or Comet, or Currys/Dixons etc.

Plug it in to the appropriate socket on the back of your PC (or front if you have a fancy PC).

Actually this is a bad idea... with your message count, Skype will be overloaded for sure once you start talking to people...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.