Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skype Interviews for Teaching

Skype Interviews for Teaching

Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype Interviews for Teaching

I have a job in Invercargill starting next month.

What union is worth joining then?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice

So I need to ensure I up my credit card limit before I arrive. :0

I did struggle to understand the NZ exam system. The NZQA has old papers which helped. Do pupils leave with individual certificate like A-levels or are 80 credits made up from different subject like a high-school diploma?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one union basically. Its called the PPTA (Post Primary Teachers Association) they charge a fortune in union subs and do almost nothing in return. Forget anything like the NAS or NUT.

NZQA, they get a certificate at level 1, 2 and 3. Each requires a certain number of credits (some of which have to come from maths and english). Many of the credits are internally assessed so halfway through the year many students will already have almost all of the credits they need. Does wonders for motivation (not). They can also have the certificate endorsed at Merit or Excellence level if they get enough external credits at that level.
The system has good and bad points compared to GCSE. I spent 2010-2012 teaching GCSE in Qatar and coming back to NZ did highlight the differences. I'd have to say that on balance I think that the UK system is better.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

NZEI is the primary teacher's union.

I've sent you a PM about my experiences with novopay!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of teachers at our school haven' been paid or haven't been paid correctly even the relief teachers aren't getting the wage and apparently one told me that she can't contact No Pay (novopay) about it as they just tell her to contact the school she worked in. so she now has queries open with a number of schools about her pay.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

O my! I feel scared now! If I dot get paid I will be homeless!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 4:39 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
You'll be ok, one of the teaching aides down here got a payslip showing she due to be paid roughly a million dollars. That money didn't hit her account, it would seem she got underpaid instead.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:16 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
My mum's a Principal and she's been paying shortfalls out her operating account. You just need to make your need clear so they can prioritise it. It's chaos though. She has paid some of them, then they've been paid by Novopay, and she hasn't been recompensed.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

That seems a bit crazy. My school arranged a payment from me from the operating budget but as a loan rather than payment and I had to sign paperwork that makes it clear that I will pay it back as soon as I get paid.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:14 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
That seems a bit crazy. My school arranged a payment from me from the operating budget but as a loan rather than payment and I had to sign paperwork that makes it clear that I will pay it back as soon as I get paid.
Novopay pay the money straight into her operating account (she has had some of it back) and deduct it from future payrolls. But of course you have to make sure the staff understand that.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Moso, I got your PM but cannot reply, it says you don't accept messages?

I have emailed the school outlining the concerns that I have in view of what you guys have said. Lets see what they respond with.

The salary assessment was done a few weeks ago and sent off by the school, in order to get that precious MOE number.

The tax number will be no 1 priority when I land!

Thanks for flagging it guys, I will let you know what they say.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

I worked for 6 weeks relieving without a penny thanks to No (vo) pay. I now have a full-time job and have never received a payslip. This week there has been a "blip" and permanent staff have had their contracts terminated and been removed from the pay system altogether.

Welcome to teaching in NZ!!!!

Apart from that though - I love it.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Oh and sorry for to be off topic! Good luck to the OP with the interview!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

My school say they have 'like many others' had issues with novopay but use some type of school fund to ensure wages are done right. That's if they ever give me an MOE number....!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HeatherGirl;10610041This week there has been a "blip" and permanent staff have had their contracts terminated and been removed from the pay system altogether.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's one way of explaining what happened. I prefer this version:
http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2013/03/wh...-over-novopay/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.