British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Skype Interviews for Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/skype-interviews-teaching-789583/)

Engel Mar 5th 2013 9:40 pm

Skype Interviews for Teaching

After NZQA and registration with the Teachers Council, I am finally able to arrange some interviews via Skype. Any tips? Should I watch a few more six nations matches?

MrsFychan Mar 5th 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Skype Interviews for Teaching

lol

Treat it as a proper interview so dress as if you were in their offices. Look at the background before you Skype, make sure there is nothing untoward in the shot.
Do a couple of test Skypes to make sure your connection is good and the more you do them the less likely you are to shout thinking the other end can't hear you. Do you have anyone in NZ/Outside UK you can Skype to test it?

as for what sort of questions someone I'm sure will come along soon and let you know

jmh Mar 6th 2013 12:37 am

Lock any children/babies up. It's annoying and will distract you. Switch the phone off etc.

jmh Mar 6th 2013 1:56 am

You might benefit from a Social Backdrop....

http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-conten...ound-Image.jpg

http://www.geekosystem.com/social-backdrops-video-chat/

AndyEvs Mar 6th 2013 2:24 am

Make sure you indicate your willingness to take part in after school activities, coach a sports team and spend your Saturdays being a ref/coach/manager. Also try to show some knowledge of the bi-cultural system here and your enthusiasm for engaging maori students above all others.
Sounds cynical, and in some ways it is, but the expectation of those things is there and you willingness to buy into that will make a difference, especially since jobs here are thin on the ground.
You might also like to point out your willingness to work without any pay (as I have been doing since December).

grantanddebs Mar 6th 2013 5:25 am

Smile lots and speak clearly and not too fast.

Bo-Jangles Mar 6th 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by AndyEvs (Post 10586361)
You might also like to point out your willingness to work without any pay (as I have been doing since December).

Crikey mate, is this voluntary or as a consequence of the Novopay stuff up?

AndyEvs Mar 6th 2013 4:42 pm

Voluntary? Lol!
Novopay, half the staff in my school are affected in some way, 5 of us have had no pay since December. I no longer even get a pay slip and appear to have disappeared off the system. I'm sure in the UK we'd be taking industrial action by now.

MrsFychan Mar 6th 2013 6:06 pm

teachers at our school are off for a union meeting next Wednesday, this will be the second one that they have had

moonie2011 Mar 6th 2013 6:10 pm

Have a phone interview then you can put lots of crib sheets around the room which will help answering their questions, my OH did :thumbsup:

Engel Mar 6th 2013 7:01 pm

I used a plain background, my wall, in the end. I mounted a seperate camera on the center of my table a spread my crib sheets and notes below the line of sight. 50 minutes so about the same as a normal interview, but no need to teach a demo lesson.

M_and_M Mar 7th 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10587832)
teachers at our school are off for a union meeting next Wednesday, this will be the second one that they have had

What on earth is happening?

M_and_M Mar 7th 2013 8:04 pm

What's going on with novo pay? Am just about to come over (solo) so will NEED the pay!

M_and_M Mar 7th 2013 8:06 pm

Re the interview, make sure you know the difference between the UK and NZ school systems. My interview wasn't Skype it was by conference call, and even with the volume up I struggled to hear them.

Make sure the background room is quiet, plain backdrop, dress as for normal interview.

AndyEvs Mar 7th 2013 8:48 pm

Novo pay is the organisation that has taken over the payroll for teachers. The whole thing is a mess, in my school (large high school) more than half the staff have not recieved the correct pay since last year. People with units are not getting them, some people overpaid and in my case I have not recieved a cent since December as my contract changed when I was made permanent again.
I'm not sure what is happening with new teachers but let's hope it's sorted by the time you get here. Where are the interviews for?