Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skype, Instant messenger etc

Skype, Instant messenger etc

Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skype, Instant messenger etc

Has anyone had much experience using Skype etc to save on overseas call charges? I've experimented with it a bit, as with video calls over instant messenger, but haven't used it much for real. Video calls were next to useless with dial-up at the NZ end, I'd be interested to hear what they're like broadband to broadband, or any other comments re useability, realiability etc.

In case this is double-dutch to anyone, check out www.skype.com
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:46 pm
Damages

Default Re: Skype, Instant messenger etc

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Has anyone had much experience using Skype etc to save on overseas call charges? I've experimented with it a bit, as with video calls over instant messenger, but haven't used it much for real. Video calls were next to useless with dial-up at the NZ end, I'd be interested to hear what they're like broadband to broadband, or any other comments re useability, realiability etc.

In case this is double-dutch to anyone, check out www.skype.com
I had skype for a while last year (I may reinstall it) because a mate of mine in Oz said
"hey! if you get skype we can talk for next to nothing using the net."
Well the only problem was that, when I was online he wasn't and when he was online, I wasn't so our paths never crossed and I never did get to speak with him.
Just one of the probs with day vs. night scenarios on opposite sides of the earth.

I did get to speak to a random italian who had no clue what I was saying, and neither did I of him. The clarity of sound was very good, but the clarity of meaning was appalling.

I had dial-up then but, now I have broadband, It may even get clear enough for me to understand Italian!

It'd be fab for this forum though (could have some genuine surround sound ding dongs!!! )

Regards

Ali

Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:52 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Skype, Instant messenger etc

I use yahoo instant messenger to talk to my mum every sat. We used to use it even when we both had dial up although then we used to type our messages and see each other, which is ok if you are both fast typists. Now we both have broadband and we use the voice too. Its pretty good although talking walkie talkie mode takes a bit of practise cause if you both press the button at the same time you get nasty feedback.

Its invaluable to us, mum gets to see the kids every week. She has seen 1st lost teeth, them wearing pressies she has sent etc.

Paula