British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Skype (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/skype-577008/)

lyndanchris Dec 5th 2008 5:42 pm

Just wondering what experiences people have had using skype? My reasons for asking this question is that my 17 year old son does not want to come to NZ with us and is adament that he wishes to stay in the UK. Due to him being a young adult (as much as I disagree) I have to respect his decision. I am looking at ways that he will be able to contact us at any time. I came across a download for skype but before I bought the equipment needed for this I wanted to find out whether it is as good as it claims to be. Any help would be much appreciated:)

4kiwi4 Dec 5th 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Skype

Hi, I use Skype in NZ no problems. Talk to UK friends all the time. I don't know if it will be different depending on the area and your internet connection, but I'm in Nelson and have no problems. All you need is a webcam if you don't have a laptop with one already on it, download the programme and your away. Hope that helps.

Margaret Parkinson Dec 5th 2008 6:09 pm

I speak to my daughter & family in Papamoa no problem. We also have Apple computers and use ichat which is much better.

Ash1 Dec 5th 2008 7:04 pm

Hi,

I use it all the time to speak to my parents and don`t have any problems at all and its FREE. We had a bit of trouble early on as my mum didn`t know how to work the camera and all i saw was a lovely view up her nostrils ! She`s sussed it now though.
Ash

nero Dec 6th 2008 2:43 am

It is excellent for us especially for connecting to others who have PC's.

We have recently signed up so that we can ring from our PC to landlines in the UK, which is a tiny fraction of what we would have to pay to Telecom. It has opened up our ability to call anyone who has a telephone in the UK. Would thoroughly recommend it.

Ulster Dec 6th 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 7042039)
It is excellent for us especially for connecting to others who have PC's.

We have recently signed up so that we can ring from our PC to landlines in the UK, which is a tiny fraction of what we would have to pay to Telecom. It has opened up our ability to call anyone who has a telephone in the UK. Would thoroughly recommend it.

Hi,

We use Skype all the time. Infact we don't even have a home phone in New Zealand, we just use Skype and have a SkypeIN number that we can put on utility bills etc. No one really calls us....yet! The number is 04 so looks exactly like a Wellington based home phone. :)

I also setup a UK based SkypeIN number so my friends back in the UK can call my PC in New Zealand for free :) as part of their mobile contracts. So they can call me off their mobile phones in the UK and it comes through to my PC in New Zealand and we can speak for ages, free :)

I also use Skype to call landlines in the UK and USA for free. This costs $6.99 per month and is worth every cent. We also us ethe voicemail feature on skype so friends can leave us messages when we are sleeping and respond the following morning.

lyndanchris Dec 6th 2008 9:40 am

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments on this subject, sounds brilliant!! However, I am a bit confused as to skypeIn numbers set up in UK and NZ. How is this done? Also in UK you have to have a landline number to be able to receive broadband, is this not the case in NZ?

Many thanks
Lynda:confused:

Ulster Dec 6th 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by lyndanchris (Post 7042471)
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments on this subject, sounds brilliant!! However, I am a bit confused as to skypeIn numbers set up in UK and NZ. How is this done? Also in UK you have to have a landline number to be able to receive broadband, is this not the case in NZ?

Many thanks
Lynda:confused:

Lynda,

Skype offer a £6.99 monthly subscription and for that you get.
* Unlimited Calls to Landlines in 36 countries worldwide.
* 3 SkypeIN numbers.
* Voicemail.

With a skypein number it allows you to register a 'landline' in a specific country without living there. When someone calls this number from the UK they pay a local rate call although the phone call is routed over the internet via the skype servers for free and you answer via your laptop.

Ill give you an example. I have a skypein number based in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The number is identical to a local number in Belfast 02895 81 ****
My friends call this number from their phones in Belfast and i pickup in New Zealand.

New Zealand is the same as the UK regarding Internet Broadband. You can get both ADSL lines and Cable broadband.

Cable broadband is provided by Telstra Clear and is similar to Virgin Media in the UK. You do not need a phone line! as the optic cables come into the house from the street. I find cable broadband alot easier to use in New Zealand;
* In Windy Wellington i don't want the phone lines going down.
* Cable broadband provides a static ip address, i don't share the phone line.
* Alot higher bandwidth limits. We are on a 100GB package.
* Faster Download speeds and upload speeds.

If your looking for reliable Broadband i recommend cable. Its alot more expensive but you will be guaranteed a connection. In New Zealand live the UK if a company says you get upto 24mb you will probably get around 8mb depending on how far from the exchange you live. Cable isn't like this and regardless of your location you can recieve high speeds.

lyndanchris Dec 6th 2008 9:25 pm

Hi Ulster,

Thanks for your explanation, it is very useful. Can you tell me if this can be set up while in the UK with a number for UK and NZ even if not sure which part of NZ we will end up in?
Thanks
Lynda

Ulster Dec 8th 2008 6:32 am

Originally Posted by lyndanchris (Post 7043887)
Hi Ulster,

Thanks for your explanation, it is very useful. Can you tell me if this can be set up while in the UK with a number for UK and NZ even if not sure which part of NZ we will end up in?
Thanks
Lynda

Hi Lynda,

You can setup SkypeIN numbers from any location in the world.

I am in Wellington and use a Skypein number using the area code 04. You can choose to use either 04 or 03 being Christchurch. You can't get any other numbers for New Zealand although all we needed was a number to put on billing information for Telstra Clear. All companies seem to accept Mobile numbers here. I use a mobile number for my motorbike insurance etc.

You pay the fixed rate of £6.99 a month. I use a Creditcard.

Then you can choose a UK number, USA and NZ number instantly.

Your friends in those countires will only pay a local rate call when they call you. This would benefit your son as he could call you in NZ from his mobile phone. :) No $3 a minute calls anymore.

These are my details as an example.

UK: 028 95 81 **** - Belfast, N.Ireland number.
NZ: 04 889 **** - Wellington, New Zealand.

lyndanchris Dec 8th 2008 9:05 am

Hi Ulster,

Thanks for your help. I have actually managed to set it all up as you described. Had some fun testing it out with family who did not recognise the numbers!!!! Now just need to sell the house and I will be on the plane:thumbsup:

Ulster Dec 8th 2008 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by lyndanchris (Post 7047861)
Hi Ulster,

Thanks for your help. I have actually managed to set it all up as you described. Had some fun testing it out with family who did not recognise the numbers!!!! Now just need to sell the house and I will be on the plane:thumbsup:

Good to hear. :)