Reload this Page >

Skilled visa information

Skilled visa information

Old Apr 29th 2018, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Andygall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled visa information

Hi all please help

Basically I have had my skilled visa accepted to move to New Zealand with my wife and 3 children . It’s been a long 8 months process and it’s our dream to move . Disaster has struck , my new employer has been in touch and explained that work has dried up and by the time I arrive I may not have a job . We have paid for our visa been accepted and are literally planning on booking our flights ..

What can I do now ???
, do I risk it and still go over and pretend this conversation never happens and find a new job when I get there ?
I don’t no the rules and conditions on skilled working visa so any advice would help

Thank you
Old Apr 29th 2018, 8:05 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled visa information

So if he hasn't actually withdrawn the job offer the visa is technically still good. The trouble comes when you get here and can't take up the position - at that point you would I think, have to inform INZ and I'm not sure what your visa status would then be. Did you apply under Skilled Migrant and did you need the job offer points to cross the points hurdle?

TBH unless you can throw 6-12mths of living expenses while you search AND still have funds to return to the UK and drop back into work there if unsuccessful then I personally wouldn't consider it. What is your trade/profession?

If you did arrive and find a new employer then you could swap the visa to the new employer as far as I am aware - which exact visa have you got?
Old Apr 29th 2018, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Ok so he has not withdrew his offer as he says he might have work by the time we get there .. I am guessing with it being the end of the finance year things are going a bit slack in Christchurch. My visa is a skilled working visa , my wife also has been granted a working visa , my children are on a school visa .

How easy it to change your job on this visa ..

If I was to still take a chance and come over knowing I may not have a job , but have the visa would this be a big problem or as this happens before , I supppose it would be like falling out with your new employer the first week of arriving ,, what are the procedures Andy conditions etc
Old Apr 29th 2018, 9:13 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andygall
Ok so he has not withdrew his offer as he says he might have work by the time we get there .. I am guessing with it being the end of the finance year things are going a bit slack in Christchurch. My visa is a skilled working visa , my wife also has been granted a working visa , my children are on a school visa .

How easy it to change your job on this visa ..

If I was to still take a chance and come over knowing I may not have a job , but have the visa would this be a big problem or as this happens before , I supppose it would be like falling out with your new employer the first week of arriving ,, what are the procedures Andy conditions etc
Ok so is this an Essential Skills Visa you are on?

In the conditions it states "You may work only in the specific occupation, for the employer and in the location specified on your visa". They may also request evidence of payment of the remuneration as there is a minimum rate of remuneration that applies.

Change job only applies if you can start the job that supported the visa, there may also be a minimum period INZ will want to see to establish the job offer was valid - Immigration Fraud is a thing and you don't want to appear to be in that category as it will adversely affect any future applications you may wish to make.

I would assume you can apply for a variation of the visa to a new employer BUT it may appear to INZ that the initial offer, if never executed, was itself never a valid offer and declare the visa void...

Personally I would make INZ aware that the employer has expressed doubts about the work volume and see what they say. Pointless to upheave the family IMHO where the visa status will be in doubt.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simonsi
Personally I would make INZ aware that the employer has expressed doubts about the work volume and see what they say.
I agree. This sounds dicey. The employer is being irresponsible.

For a work visa to be granted the job offer must be full-time and permanent for a set period. Not anything else and certainly not we may have work/we may not.

It would be immigration fraud to enter under this visa knowing that the job was not as per the lawful policy. It is also illegal for the employer to suggest as they have done. 'Might have work' is 100% not OK per NZ immigration policies.

The work visa is tied to the particular job offer and the employer. The visa is void if any of that changes.

Yes you could start work for this employer and then look to change employer. You would then either apply for a variation of conditions or be asked to apply for a whole new work visa set. Much would depend on the new job offer and the employer status. NZ immigration would certainly ask why the vacancy that they issued the visa for had stopped.

For your own sake, contact NZ Immigration and let them know.
Start looking for another more concrete job offer.

What is your occupation.
Old May 2nd 2018, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

As above. There’s no way I’d uproot my family with such a precarious situation. The employer isn’t coming across as great and to work for someone unreliable after travelling to the other side of the world just wouldn’t work for me.

Definately a discussion with INZ.

Crappy situation - I feel your pain.
Old May 3rd 2018, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Not to bad now , been offered another job for laser plumbing in Warkworth , is that a good area ? For kids etc ?
Old May 3rd 2018, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Not to bad now , been offered another job for laser plumbing in Warkworth , is that a good area ? For kids etc ?

Warkworth is an excellent place especially if you have work there; close enough to all the scenery and beaches you could wish for around Matakana, Mahurangi and Tawharanui and not too far from Albany if you want bigger shops and such like.

It's somewhere I would like to live if there were jobs for us.
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Sounds and looks great thank you
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:30 am
`

I'm getting a bit confused.

Plumber?

Laser Plumbing? Are they accredited or will that be an approval in principle ?

Is it livable on a trade wage Bo-jangles?

Take it you have been in contact with the PGDB / NZQA and the like already?
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Is it livable on a trade wage Bo-jangles?
Will depend of course on what Andygall has to bring to the party from the outset but house are fairly reasonable, certainly not as expensive as Auckland and there's lots of choice as you can go all out rural in older properties with lots of space or in the wops or there's lots of suburban type new builds. There's lots of possibilties also to go for more beachy / bachy type places at Algies Bay, Leigh and such like.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/cat...path=350-5748-
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:00 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

that would depend if that job offer fits the current visa criteria, I am very nervous for you
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Sorry why are you nervous for me ? Yes New Zealand are short of gas engineers and plumbers
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:30 pm
`

Sorry why are you nervous for me ? Yes New Zealand are short of gas engineers and plumbers
Plumbers are only in shortage in the Canterbury region. Nowhere else.
Gasfitters are not in shortage anywhere int he country.

This is per the NZ Dept of Labour and the NZIS shortage lists. What this means is that unless it is a plumbing position in Canterbury , any employer offering you a job has to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up that work or be trained for that work . Unless they are what is called 'Accredited'.

I take it you have already completed an NZQA assessment and gained your PGDB restricted license?

Please double check with Lazer that they are able and willing to apply for what is called "An Approval In Principle" or that they are "Accredited"

You also need to be careful what $ rate they offer you as you will not be seen as NZ qualified regardless of any UK quals you may hold. Ensure that any contract is full time permanent and for at least 2 years or more.

Lazer is a series of franchise companies across New Zealand.

For you ,with regard to becoming NZ resident, a job offer in Canterbury would be better. I'm not trying to bring a dampener here at all.

I read you applying for jobs. What do you know of the visa process please?
Are you looking to remain in New Zealand as a family?