British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Skilled Migration to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/skilled-migration-nz-508769/)

dhruv9 Jan 24th 2008 12:57 pm

Skilled Migration to NZ

Hi friends,

I have a lot to ask but will try to do in brief! :)

1. Is NVQ-2(Engineering) in UK, with 2years experience(Sheet Metal) equivalent
to National Certificate 4(Sheet Metal) in NZ?
2. When you apply for Dental Assistant category in NZ, do they ask for specific
period of work experience or any 2years work experience? Is it true that they
don't even require qualification for this if you've more than 2years experience?

Cheers.

BEVS Jan 24th 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Skilled Migration to NZ

Originally Posted by dhruv9 (Post 5833398)
Hi friends,

I have a lot to ask but will try to do in brief! :)

1. Is NVQ-2(Engineering) in UK, with 2years experience(Sheet Metal) equivalent
to National Certificate 4(Sheet Metal) in NZ?

No. An NVQ 3 could be.

dhruv9 Jan 25th 2008 10:51 am

Thanks Bev.

What if one have 1year Trade Certificate in Diesel Mechanic and 6years experience as Motor Mechanic(Light)? Does it not count as National Certificate 4(Automotive)?

Regards.

BEVS Feb 12th 2008 5:42 am

:unsure: I would suggest a FULL NZQA assessment for that

dhruv9 Feb 12th 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks

hazeandsteve Feb 13th 2008 5:34 am

At the end of the day, I think you'll find the qualification is the only thing that can be converted By NZQA. Experience is a side issue.
I came with a BTec Diploma in Aerospace studies and 20+ years experience, got assessed as level 5 and 20+ years experience.
Best o' luck matey.:thumbup:

BEVS Feb 13th 2008 5:45 am

Yes. It's all a bit fuzzy with these new rules.

Under the new rules work experience should be able to be counted as well as, or instead of formal training and qualifications, provided it comes from a comparable labour market.

I phoned NZQA this morning to ask who would be doing the work experience assessments under the new NZIS rules. NZQA stated it would not be them . They just do overseas qualifications. It was suggested that the appropriate NZ training organisation would perhaps assess work experience where there was no formal overseas qualification to take into consideration.

It's all a bit of a puzzle right now. Australia has just withdrawn route D whereby someone could go into Oz as skilled at an occupation when they had no formal training or qualification.

I think dhruv9 should contact NZIS and state he wishes to apply for PR as a motor mechanic. He should then enquire as to where he sends his trade cert and work experience for assessment.

It will still be required that the standard is that of NZ National Certificate .

Tan0410 Feb 13th 2008 8:40 am

I have a query, I have been in IT support for about 10 years currently just starting in consultancy. I do not have a degree in computer science but do have a BSc in Psychology. My wife also has a BA Degree. On the points indicator I said we both have a degree but no job offer and also that my career is over 6 years in a skilled shortage area. Did I answer correctly for an IT Skilled migrant? It gave me 140 points which was unexpected.

If so does that mean that you do not need a degree in computer science for IT? The pages I have read seem to suggest you do and also need 3 years xperience.
Bevs - any idea where this new ruling leaves my mate?

Can he claim points for degree (unrelated to experience) and then for his IT work experience (with no formal qualification in IT)?

Helps appreciated.
Thanks

dhruv9 Feb 13th 2008 11:02 am

Yep, I will do so, Bev. Thanks for suggestions guyz!

dhruv9 Feb 13th 2008 11:06 am

NZIS means New Zealand Immigrations Service right? :p
So I should contact www.immigration.govt.nz, I guess, is that what you meand Bev!

Regards

BEVS Feb 13th 2008 11:12 am

yes