Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skilled migrants to get easier access

Skilled migrants to get easier access

Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:49 am
livewire

Default Skilled migrants to get easier access

This from today's Herald:

"The points scheme for potential migrants is being changed.

From now on people who score 140 points or more in the skilled migrant category will automatically be allowed in.

Applicants with between 100 and 140 points who have a guaranteed job will also find it easier to gain residency.

Immigration Minister David Cunliffe said an additional three thousand places will be made available for the next two financial years.

He says the changes announced today will help employers needed to recruit skilled workers from overseas for their business growth. "

Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Default Re: Skilled migrants to get easier access

We've only just started looking into it, but I thought you only needed 100 points?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KayC
We've only just started looking into it, but I thought you only needed 100 points?
It's just gone up- after today's pool you will need 140 for automatic selection. Between 100-140 points with a job or job offer means you will be ranked and possibly selected. The next pool is on 1 Feb 06 and new rules kick in then.
Anyone who has not yet received their invitation to reply (ITA) from NZIS by today could be affected. Best to go on to their website- it's all in there. They've made the time you are in the EOI pool longer up to 6m.
:scared: There's a lot of changes- not all good if you don't have a job offer.

Last edited by Billie; Dec 21st 2005 at 3:38 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 9:37 pm
livewire

It has NOT gone up - the selection point is still at 100, it's just that people with 140 will automatically be invited to apply.

People with 100 -140 points and a NZ job/job offer will be ranked and selected to fill the necessary quota.

Read the article at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...c05Changes.htm and you'll see what I mean.

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by livewire
It has NOT gone up - the selection point is still at 100, it's just that people with 140 will automatically be invited to apply.

People with 100 -140 points and a NZ job/job offer will be ranked and selected to fill the necessary quota.

Read the article at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...c05Changes.htm and you'll see what I mean.
Have read it- still worse than before for people without job offers but have the 100 points- like me!! Hopefully I am too far along line with process to be affected but there are a lot of grey areas and am worried until I get my visa stamped in my passport!!
Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:49 am
livewire

I think all they are doing is prioritising so that those with with higher points and job offers get preferential treatment, but surely this could only really become a problem if the number of applicants ever exceeds the quota?

Old Dec 24th 2005, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

This from today's Herald:

"The points scheme for potential migrants is being changed.

From now on people who score 140 points or more in the skilled migrant category will automatically be allowed in.

Applicants with between 100 and 140 points who have a guaranteed job will also find it easier to gain residency.

Immigration Minister David Cunliffe said an additional three thousand places will be made available for the next two financial years.

He says the changes announced today will help employers needed to recruit skilled workers from overseas for their business growth. "

Well I'm screwed.....was just on the point of doing the EOI when the rules changed. Unfortunately, even with 10years + experience I only score 105 points for my IT skills.

Without a job offer from NZ we cannot go. What's the chances of that happening?

Is there any way to get off these damned forsaken British Isles?

Steve
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

welsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the roughwelsh213 is a jewel in the rough

Stephen,

I hope this really is not the case, for both our sakes.
I am hoping to move from S.Wales to Wellington, was contacted by Immigration today asking for more information, so fingers crossed I will get an invitation to apply sometime soon, but if it changes then i dont think i will be able to go as I currently have 115 points with no job offer.

Good luck mate

John
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

I think all they are doing is prioritising so that those with with higher points and job offers get preferential treatment, but surely this could only really become a problem if the number of applicants ever exceeds the quota?
They'll surely only know when the quota is being exceeded at the end of each year!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Well I'm screwed.....was just on the point of doing the EOI when the rules changed. Unfortunately, even with 10years + experience I only score 105 points for my IT skills.

Steve
The time allowed in the EOI pool has gone up from 3 to 6 months so it is still worth going ahead with. Just wait a bit longer to stick your EOI in - to see if you can get a job offer in the meantime and raise your points.There are a lot of grey areas so I would still keep trying. Good lluck.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

Steve
Steve,
Your not screwed. You don't have to have a job offer. You will be ranked higher with a job offer but you can still apply if you have more that 100 points. 105 points is enough.

Im in a similar boat. We are using the First Contact agency to help us and they confirmed the above.
Good luck.
Neil.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brandn
Steve,
Your not screwed. You don't have to have a job offer. You will be ranked higher with a job offer but you can still apply if you have more that 100 points. 105 points is enough.

Im in a similar boat. We are using the First Contact agency to help us and they confirmed the above.
Good luck.
Neil.
Are you sure this is up to date advice taking into account changes on 21 December?