British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Skiing in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/skiing-nz-655842/)

Flower Pot Feb 20th 2010 8:44 pm

Skiing in NZ?

Hi all,

When we arrive in June we plan to travel for a month before settling down - as it will be NZ winter, we anticipate the weather won't be too marvellous!

Sooo, as keen skiiers we thought we'd spend a bit of time checking out ski places.

Anyone have any recommendations? Both North and South Island. We have our own equipment so would only need the ski pass and accomodation...

Thanks! :D

Jan n Neil Feb 20th 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Skiing in NZ?

If you stay near ChCh there is Mt Hutt etc, only and hour or so away. I don;t think there is an "apres ski" atmosphere here really, skiing is done by day trips to the fields. I have noticed that sometimes the roads near here to the ski fields are either closed (!) or only open to "four wheel drive with snow chains". It's not skiing/party/party as some Europeans or Canadians do it. Further south, there are excellent field near Mount Cook/Tekap, where some Olympic teas train, and you could stya quite close the the ski fields. Again, no apres ski pub restaurant on the fields, etc, but still looks like a lovely thing to do.

Jan

Matewx Feb 20th 2010 11:10 pm

Why dont you try Auckland's ski fields??

Mt Eden, Mt Victoria....

kiwinow Feb 21st 2010 4:02 am

Ha ha.
In the north, Mt Ruapehu is fun, but I haven't been there for years. Mt Taranaki is small but friendly, but probably not what you're used to.

In the south Mt Dobson is really nice. Roundhill is also cool and maybe a bit more challenging, debatably. Prices are good down south apparently. If you go to Roundhill you can combine it if you wish with a trip to the new spa at Tekapo. There is an ice-skating rink and hot pools, cold plunge pools, sauna etc - great after a hard days skiing.

If you feel like a visit to the spa town of Hanmer Springs (hot pools etc also, bush walks, bungee, speed boats, rafting...), near Christchurch, they also have a ski field. I haven't visited the ski field, but talked to others who said it was quite cool and the difference here is that you come down the mountain in a minutes, as opposed to hours, and stay in the town and there is that camaraderie and several restaurants/bars to carry on the evenings entertainment with your friends.

TeamEmbo Feb 21st 2010 6:42 am

We're on South Island. Kids have been to Mt Hutt (1 hour or so from Cch) a couple of times with the school and had brill time.

We've only been to Porter's Pass (about 1 hour from Rangiora). Easy drive to get there and you don't need snow chains as you just park up in car park and get the free bus up. There's a bar/cafe/restaurant and good runs for more experienced skiiers (so we were told - pers not experienced enough to try them out).

There is also an Alpine Lodge up there for accommodation.

See link below:

http://www.skiporters.co.nz/accommodation/alpine-lodge

HTH

Flower Pot Feb 21st 2010 9:20 am

Thanks all :thumbsup:

I think I'm a bit dim as I don't get the Auckland ski fields comment :confused: ha well I am blonde now... :p

I like the sound of Hamner Springs with the Apres ski kind of thing, thats part of the experience for us!

Also, Roundhill and Tekapo spa sounds lovely, I'll have to write all these places down for the to-do list!

Alpine Pass lodge looks cool too, I like the idea of sitting in a hot tub after a days skiing, although not sure about sharing the accomodation with other people, haven't done that since school when we shared dorms in good old Colomendy! :o

j19fmm Feb 21st 2010 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8362100)
Alpine Pass lodge looks cool too, I like the idea of sitting in a hot tub after a days skiing, although not sure about sharing the accomodation with other people, haven't done that since school when we shared dorms in good old Colomendy! :o

Not a problem really, friend and I did the shared bunk thing the night before we did the Tongariro Crossing. Plug in your Mp3 and make the most of a cheap nights accomodation!!

hazeandsteve Feb 21st 2010 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8362100)
I like the idea of sitting in a hot tub after a days skiing, although not sure about sharing the accomodation with other people,

Ohakune is the smaller of Ruapehu's ski fields, but we love it there.
We're season passers, and regularly stay in the Rimu Lodge, which has a huge variety of accomodation, and is an easy walk to the bars and restaurants.
Kings bar and accomodation is a bit dearer, but we vaguely kind of know the owner. It's got two tubs, bar, food, great rooms, and the name's spot on.

We tend to just drive down to Whakapapa (carefull on the pronounciation) for day trips from home. Just over an hour door to lifts. There's more loads more pistes but more drag lifts there, whereas 'Kune can chair you to the top.

I bought a 4wd specifically for the skiroad restrictions, and in three seasons only twice have I driven past queues of 2wd waiting for chains, but I prefer the confidence they give on icy roads.

kiwinow Feb 22nd 2010 2:58 am

Flower Pot, Auckland is not blessed with ski fields and Mt Eden is a mere molehill - a dormant volcanic molehill with an impressive crater, which kids skid down on a piece of cardboard and make rude words out of fallen rocks at the bottom - nowhere near high enough to get snow, even if it ever snowed in Auckland. Mt Vic is in Wellington though, so :huh: