Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skiing at Mount Ruepehu?

Skiing at Mount Ruepehu?

Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:21 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skiing at Mount Ruepehu?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Now, another query ...

There are a lot of recent comments on other country forums regarding the very said death of Natasha Richardson. Apparently had a pretty minor fall on a nursery slope and an hour later was rushed to hospital with a head injury that wasn't apparent at the time. I've not read anything yet regarding whether it was some kind of existing condition that was bought on by the fall. But the discussions now are whether a helmet could have saved her life? Should people wear helmets when skiing? Are they available?

My kids bike wearing helmets (as I do.) My son races go-karts wearing a helmet as a motorcyclist would - thank goodness. But they don't wear one skateboarding or on their scooters.

Does one see people wearing helmets skiing or snowboarding here?
We didn't, but probably only because we didn;t think of it and no one else was, but otoh, I bet we're at greater risk in the car on the way up the mountain...
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:22 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by owen
Kids wearing helmets are becoming more popular, even on euro slopes. Very good idea IMO and I wsh adults would too, been thinking about myself last season but never got around to it.

In my line of work i see lots of traumatic brain injuries and you don't need a very traumatic fall to get one (iremember a very tragic case of a person just tripping over in their office). Again remember although a very real risk, things like this shouldn't stop people living life to the max. My kids? I'd definately kit them out.
Thank you owen.

Now does anyone know are there special skiing helmets or can they wear regulation bike helmets? Son may look a tad odd in his full face motorcycle helmet from his karting?

Should get off to bed and tomorrow google skiing helmets ...
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and oldest child had a skiing lesson on Mount Ruapehu (Whakapapa side) in october last year during halfterm. My OH was told helmets weren't available and because it was school holidays, the queues to get the equipment were awful - over an hour and a half to get kitted out. We had a great time though - the snow wasn't at Village level and so we did some easy walks.
Bear in mind the possible queues for equipment, those planning day trips if during school holidays (although I expect Natasha's death may put some people off)....I watched their lesson and the nursery slope looked flipping steep to me. Also the tobboganing area was lethal..as everyone was free to launch in all directions at once, no system at all and after two goes, my OH had been crashed into in the back (his back) by an idiot female so we called a halt much to our kids' disgust. It could have been much safer with limited launch points and allowing a few seconds between people.

Lovely spot Summer or Winter as others have said.

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Now, another query ...

There are a lot of recent comments on other country forums regarding the very said death of Natasha Richardson. Apparently had a pretty minor fall on a nursery slope and an hour later was rushed to hospital with a head injury that wasn't apparent at the time. I've not read anything yet regarding whether it was some kind of existing condition that was bought on by the fall. But the discussions now are whether a helmet could have saved her life? Should people wear helmets when skiing? Are they available?

My kids bike wearing helmets (as I do.) My son races go-karts wearing a helmet as a motorcyclist would - thank goodness. But they don't wear one skateboarding or on their scooters.

Does one see people wearing helmets skiing or snowboarding here?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:30 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
My OH and oldest child had a skiing lesson on Mount Ruapehu (Whakapapa side) in october last year during halfterm. My OH was told helmets weren't available and because it was school holidays, the queues to get the equipment were awful - over an hour and a half to get kitted out. We had a great time though - the snow wasn't at Village level and so we did some easy walks.
Bear in mind the possible queues for equipment, those planning day trips if during school holidays (although I expect Natasha's death may put some people off)....I watched their lesson and the nursery slope looked flipping steep to me. Also the tobboganing area was lethal..as everyone was free to launch in all directions at once, no system at all and after two goes, my OH had been crashed into in the back (his back) by an idiot female so we called a halt much to our kids' disgust. It could have been much safer with limited launch points and allowing a few seconds between people.

Lovely spot Summer or Winter as others have said.
We took the kids out of school for the day- can't see that they'd have gained more from a day in school than they did with their mum and dad up a mountain Mine get a couple of days off a year for such things because imo museums etc are a nightmare in school hols.