Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

skiers and snowboarders... opinions please!

skiers and snowboarders... opinions please!

Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:12 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Exclamation skiers and snowboarders... opinions please!

hi,

i've asked about skiing and snowboarding at mt hutt, porters etcetc once before, and although i got some great answers, i'm still unsure! so, please could all you snowsport enthusiasts tell me what you think of the snow sports in NZ (north island excluded).

mr fluff and i LOVE snowboarding, and it is very important that we move somewhere, where the ski fields are easily accessible and enjoyable, which is why we're looking into Chch and surrounds.

the thing is, we've never snowboarded in NZ (except for a brief 'tasting' of Mt Ruapehu in spring a few years ago), but we have experience of europe and a bit of canada. i know the fields in NZ are tiny and they often only have rope tows, and the season is much shorter blahblahblah, but i want YOUR opinions.

what do you think of it? do you miss european resorts or are you happy enough with NZ?

any opinions at all will be hugely appreciated.

thanks all!

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jan 14th 2010 at 3:00 am. Reason: Weird typo stuff!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skiers and snowboarders... opinions please!

I don't know but just bumping your question up for you.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

The last time we stayed at lake Tekapo (2 hrs from ChCh) the american junior olympic team where there so i would imagine it must be a pretty good hill

Neil
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:18 am
Arrowotwn - Central Otago

petsar68 will become famous soon enoughpetsar68 will become famous soon enough

We are a family of 4 that prior to moving to NZ used to ski the states, Canada and Europe. As you are aware the skiing in NZ cant be compared with what your used to but we didnt move to NZ for the skiing we saw it as a bonus.

Living in the UK meant that if we wanted to ski we would have to go abroad, living in NZ means we only have to travel for 30minutes as we live in Arrowtown, so for us the skiing side of it is one of the many bonuses of living in this wonderful country. You dont move to NZ for the skiing, period.

If you cant find what your after here its still possible to take a trip to Japan or the West coast of the states all be it quite pricey.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:27 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

thanks everyone for the answers. it's a tough call when you love NZ and snow sports equally!