Six on, six off?

Old Oct 13th 2023, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Moon_River is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Six on, six off?

*It doesn't need jokers who are here taking the piss out of the system. Doing the absolute minimum necessary to get a visa and still looking for ways to screw over both countries. What's going on here may be within the legal constraints of the visa process, but I don't have to agree with it, and I don't.*

This^
Old Oct 13th 2023, 7:03 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Yes I know all that Bev's. However I don't see it as any different to the UK system that everyone complained about. Migrants pouring into the UK and later piggybacking others off one visa. It can be painted over in a number of ways but its still the same. I have good reason for not agreeing with it then, and I don't agree with it now. This country needs people with talent and skills who can contribute in a meaningful way. It doesn't need jokers who are here taking the piss out of the system. Doing the absolute minimum necessary to get a visa and still looking for ways to screw over both countries. What's going on here may be within the legal constraints of the visa process, but I don't have to agree with it, and I don't.
rant over 🤐
Its easy to take that view when your lucky enough to be born in a “1st” world county… I have been an immigrant 4 times now, 2 were by birth the other 2 were employment based.. and all were between what most still consider “1st” world countries.. maybe the US is different because there is less tax payer funded benefits than UK/NZ/Ireland where I have move to but the immigrants I see here mostly seem to be very hard working… they will do jobs longer hours and for less money than most of the people who are born here… I remember when I was in NZ people were coming and getting citizenship and then moving to Aus because the dole was more there… are you referring to the OP here… I read it that they would just be coming and spending their savings, sure they would get some limited free healthcare, but they would have that in the UK and have likely paid NI and income tax their whole working life so you can’t really call that a handout.. and there is likely NZ parents who go to the UK so it’s probably all averages out.. like the healthcare in Europe did before Brexit…
Old Oct 14th 2023, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Justcol has a bee in his bonnet over this.
As stated before the whole point of the visa is to enable parents to move to NZ to be near high earning children to retain that valuable resource in NZ instead of seeing them return to care for elderly relatives.
This obviously supports the economy.
If NZ didn't need those workers then the visa wouldn't be available.

Noting for historical purposes that the applications used to be judged on parental wealth.
Judged to be an indicator of the immigrants being able to support themselves once in NZ.
However certain people decided to game the system.
They put together a display of short term wealth to justify the visa, and then the money went away.
Quite possibly for a "rinse and repeat" when the next set of relatives applied.

Also, some people moved their parents in for child care and when the youngest child was old enough to manage they kicked the parents out into the care of the state.

This abuse of the system lead to the visa process being shut down in 2016 when were had an EOI near the front of the queue, so we weren't impressed at all because we were honest applicants and qualifying based on our own income and savings.
In fact if they hadn't closed it down we would be living in Russel now.

I suspect once they switched from applicants' money to sponsors' money some of the EOI will have dropped out of the queue (plus anything else happening in the 6+ years gap).
Fortunately the kids (!) qualified as high earners under the new rules so we finally achieved our visas.

It is not unreasonable, given the 6+ year gap from the original application, to review where NZ and the UK are today before finally committing to one or the other.
Better to go steady than sell up, move out, then 2 or 3 years later (see many posts in this Forum) sell up again then move back (probably not to the area where we currently live, but somewhere less attractive).

We are not penniless immigrants sponging off the State.
We will be spending money in the NZ economy.

I'm still not sure what Justcol is specifically against in our case.
I hate to think that it might include a touch of jealousy.
Hmmm....
"Migrants pouring into the UK and later piggybacking others off one visa."
Noting our kids have been in NZ for 10 years in high earning jobs.
Is this a bad thing?

" Doing the absolute minimum necessary to get a visa and still looking for ways to screw over both countries. "
Interesting - should we have done more?
If so, how?
We are both retired and anyway far too old to get a job and work visa.
I assume "screwing over both countries" translates to looking for the most cost effective (including tax effective) way to manage the move if and when.
Is financial prudence a crime, now?

Sadly this reads like a lot of migrant families in the UK, where after migration they turn on other potential migrants.
You only have to look at the Government front bench.
Justcol is, of course, just another migrant.

Last edited by LittleGreyCat; Oct 14th 2023 at 1:42 pm.