Six on, six off?

Old Sep 24th 2023, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six on, six off?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I don't think it ever was much of a thing, most people have to have a job in order to get a visa and therefore have to commit one way or the other. You really can't flit across the world unless retired and / or are very wealthy, as logistics of for most people simply would not work - you can't maintain family life, with work, kids and pets in tow on a half assed basis and the cost is prohibitive to most. If the centre of your world is still in the UK earning UK pounds it may be a different kettle of fish; but I don't know anyone here that is financially able to afford much beyond paying the bills and putting food on the table. The cost of a six monthly flight to Europe would simply be unthinkable for the majority of people, unless it was being funded by their employer.
TBH I hate the fact that visas can be issued under this kind of blatant manipulation.
Residency should be for people who will contribute in some way towards the needs of the country, not those who will give nothing and treat the place like a bloody theme park
Old Sep 24th 2023, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
TBH I hate the fact that visas can be issued under this kind of blatant manipulation.
Residency should be for people who will contribute in some way towards the needs of the country, not those who will give nothing and treat the place like a bloody theme park
What manipulation? I'm sure there are plenty of people born in a country who don't contribute in a positive way. Even people from NZ can live abroad and might only return for retirement.
Old Sep 24th 2023, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Can't do anything about those born in a country being idle buggers. That's a job for Governments to figure out, but I thought migrants were supposed to be of some benefit to the country.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I don't think it ever was much of a thing, most people have to have a job in order to get a visa and therefore have to commit one way or the other. You really can't flit across the world unless retired and / or are very wealthy, as logistics of for most people simply would not work - you can't maintain family life, with work, kids and pets in tow on a half assed basis and the cost is prohibitive to most. If the centre of your world is still in the UK earning UK pounds it may be a different kettle of fish; but I don't know anyone here that is financially able to afford much beyond paying the bills and putting food on the table. The cost of a six monthly flight to Europe would simply be unthinkable for the majority of people, unless it was being funded by their employer.
This really only applies to the retired or the very wealthy (or perhaps people who are both).
I think we were mainly talking to people in one of these categories, but it is a good while back.
I wouldn't expect anyone with a job to want or be able to do this.

The cost of a six monthly return flight is much the same (or possibly even cheaper because it would be outside peak period) as the cost of a 4-6 week trip.
So we are looking at people who could afford to visit NZ more or less every year if they wanted.
As a slight aside in Russel we met an Austrian who flew over every year and then camped in the Top 10 in a small tent and spent most of his time fishing or swimming naked in "donkey bay".
I don't know if he still does this with all the visa changes, but he didn't seem to be massively wealthy (a very small tent).

So it is a niche activity, but possibly not unaffordable as you would spend much the same on day to day living as you would in Europe.
However it doesn't seem to be a thing these days.
Especially as the tourist visa wouldn't allow you to do this.
I thing 4 on 8 off is about the best you could get.
Old Sep 25th 2023, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

A polite reminder that the Parent Resident Visa is intended to allow parents to move to NZ to be close to their children.
The intention is to retain highly skilled and scarce resources in NZ who might otherwise return to their original country to be near aged parents who need support.
As such, just being there is contributing to the NZ economy.
That is, after all, the reason for the visa.

In our case we are very fortunate to be still independent, but we are reaching an age where that might not always be so.
Should one of us die, for example, the other might wish to move permanently to NZ.
It would be unfortunate if the option wasn't open at that time.
So we are forward planning and, given that it has taken us from 2016 to get this far, establishing residential rights to NZ seems a very sensible strategy.
We are drifting off the main topic to discuss personal issues, but so be it.
Old Sep 26th 2023, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

I remember talking to a woman about 15 years ago in Gulf Harbour. She and her OH did the 6/6 thing. I think they were retired, she was a volunteer on Tiritiri Matangi Island in the NZ Summer months.
I never heard of anyone else doing it though.
Old Oct 6th 2023, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Tond3 is an unknown quantity at this point

A few questions for other posters. If one is doing the six on, six off, that would mean you are resident in both countries, right? Surely, you would be taxed twice, isn't it?
(I am referring to NZ and UK)

Last edited by Tond3; Oct 6th 2023 at 2:04 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2023, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tond3
A few questions for other posters. If one is doing the six on, six off, that would mean you are resident in both countries, right? Surely, you would be taxed twice, isn't it?
(I am referring to NZ and UK)
You have to be one day over the 6 months to be forced to be tax resident, I believe.
If you are a UK resident and have a NZ Resident Visa then I see no reason why you are not resident in whichever country you are in at the moment.
Old Oct 6th 2023, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Tond3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
You have to be one day over the 6 months to be forced to be tax resident, I believe.
If you are a UK resident and have a NZ Resident Visa then I see no reason why you are not resident in whichever country you are in at the moment.
I was just asking out of curiosity. I am resident in the UK. I also have a NZ visa issued this March.
Old Oct 7th 2023, 12:57 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

That’s not how UK residency rules work…

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-incom...e%20tax%20year

But if your retired and with DTA that might not be an issue… also you probably need to be resident in both places to get “free” healthcare…

What you are taking about is very common in the US, lots of Northern state US retirees and Canadians are “snow birds” summer in the north, winter in Florida…
Old Oct 10th 2023, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

So it is a niche activity, but possibly not unaffordable as you would spend much the same on day to day living as you would in Europe.
Life will be more expensive as many costs are partially or wholly duplicated, e.g. housing and transport (car), and unless you qualify for free healthcare in both countries you'll need private health insurance in one country (expensive if older).
Old Oct 11th 2023, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
That’s not how UK residency rules work…

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-incom...e%20tax%20year

But if your retired and with DTA that might not be an issue… also you probably need to be resident in both places to get “free” healthcare…

What you are taking about is very common in the US, lots of Northern state US retirees and Canadians are “snow birds” summer in the north, winter in Florida…
I think there may be a difference between resident and tax resident.
Tax resident is the one which catches rock stars if they over stay in the UK.
Perhaps having a resident visa means that when you are in NZ you are a resident instead of a tourist, and don't have to meet any tourist visa requirements.
Certainly you can come and go without restraint (apart from the cost of flights) and stay as long as you like.

Tax residency is a whole extra can of worms.
Old Oct 11th 2023, 6:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I think there may be a difference between resident and tax resident.
Tax resident is the one which catches rock stars if they over stay in the UK.
Perhaps having a resident visa means that when you are in NZ you are a resident instead of a tourist, and don't have to meet any tourist visa requirements.
Certainly you can come and go without restraint (apart from the cost of flights) and stay as long as you like.

Tax residency is a whole extra can of worms.
Yes, tax residency is a lot more complicated, and unlike where you physically are it is possible to trigger / remain tax resident in more than 1 country at a time. Especially when maintaining a home and or ties in more than one place and having the intent to go back and forth…

But double tax agreements should make sure you only pay the higher of the 2 after any credits…

Old Oct 12th 2023, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Can't do anything about those born in a country being idle buggers. That's a job for Governments to figure out, but I thought migrants were supposed to be of some benefit to the country.
The idea is to attract people & families that will contribute to the country in some way. That is not just by occupation. It will also be about the "ability to settle" and I quote the NZ immigration service. In an older system it was about family 'weighting' . For the parent visa they need to show they will not be a burden to the country. They will contribute to the economy. They also help a family settle and remain .

Old Oct 13th 2023, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
The idea is to attract people & families that will contribute to the country in some way. That is not just by occupation. It will also be about the "ability to settle" and I quote the NZ immigration service. In an older system it was about family 'weighting' . For the parent visa they need to show they will not be a burden to the country. They will contribute to the economy. They also help a family settle and remain .
Yes I know all that Bev's. However I don't see it as any different to the UK system that everyone complained about. Migrants pouring into the UK and later piggybacking others off one visa. It can be painted over in a number of ways but its still the same. I have good reason for not agreeing with it then, and I don't agree with it now. This country needs people with talent and skills who can contribute in a meaningful way. It doesn't need jokers who are here taking the piss out of the system. Doing the absolute minimum necessary to get a visa and still looking for ways to screw over both countries. What's going on here may be within the legal constraints of the visa process, but I don't have to agree with it, and I don't.
rant over 🤐

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 13th 2023 at 8:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.