sinks and kids

Old Nov 8th 2007, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default sinks and kids

Never thought to check before today but wish we had...........

I thought sinks had over flows and that was that.......

Until i sat in the lounge today and thought 'i can hear running water'

Turns out that every sink in the house is in fact 'sans overflow'......:curse:

Now while 'teddy' was having his bath in the upstairs sink all was lovely i guess but when my eldest then got side tracked and left the sink to block with teddies arse, well it all kind of went wrong from there.......:curse:

One flooded bathroom and a kitchen light doing an impression of a tap followed but thankfully no lasting damage it seems.

Maybe worth checking your sinks........
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: sinks and kids

sorry brian had a little snigger when i read this......garry and i were just speaking about this yesterday....

garry likes a deep bath,and its usually fine because when he gets in the overflow does the job....

not in this house......garry gets in the bath,the water gets outoverflows in nz,never heard of them....
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:50 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

(sorry!)
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:20 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garryhg
sorry brian had a little snigger when i read this......garry and i were just speaking about this yesterday....

garry likes a deep bath,and its usually fine because when he gets in the overflow does the job....

not in this house......garry gets in the bath,the water gets outoverflows in nz,never heard of them....
What I would give for a house with a bath ...
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

When i realised that there was luckily no lasting damage i had a good laugh about it to, especially as when i got up to the bathroom my youngest (2yrs) was sitting in the water happy as could be like it was a pool....

My oldest daughter had a bit of a row at the time it happened and was very keen to help mop up......since then she's been on her very best of best behavior.......

They both took themselves off earlier and did a cute little drawing with sorry written on it that was then presented to me as i finished cleaning away the last of the water.

Daughters eh....... they know exactly how to wrap their dads so tightly around their little fingers..........
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, no overflows...

why, the houses are so darn damp, would an overflow make a difference?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

I've just checked. I have one sink with an overflow and one without. None in the baths. There is one in the strange 'supertub' in the laundry area though. I've nearly let the kitchen sink overflow a couple of times. Gotta be careful, it'll turn the kitchen units to wheatabix!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
I've just checked. I have one sink with an overflow and one without. None in the baths. There is one in the strange 'supertub' in the laundry area though. I've nearly let the kitchen sink overflow a couple of times. Gotta be careful, it'll turn the kitchen units to wheatabix!
managed to overflow the "tub" a couple of times in the old rental with the infernal top loading fisher&paykel heap of junk - due to kids/me leaving stufff in the sink and lo and behold there being no overflow.
Just another example of NZ learning from the rest of the First World (we wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).........................
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by garryhg

not in this house......garry gets in the bath,the water gets out
Ah ! The trouble of loose change.

Overflows !!. As a plumbers wife - the wife of a plumber - please explain this one to me. Why no overflows? It is mental innit. Let's be fair and clear. It is blummin mental. There are so many insurance claims coz of water damaged bathrooms and kitchens, yet no overflows.
The plumbing board of NZ claims itself to be a world leader, yet the simple overflow system alludes them.

We have an upstairs bath. The waste flow from that, drops at a vertical. I mean a complete , straight down, vertical. So unsafe.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:30 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno, it's something I've always wondered about since flooding the bathroom at our first rental!

The only thing I could think of with baths is that not having an overflow means you can fill the water level right up to your chin, without having to stick your foot over a hole to keep the water in. That theory doesn't hold water with sinks though

It's a strange one.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:08 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Ah ! The trouble of loose change.

Overflows !!. As a plumbers wife - the wife of a plumber - please explain this one to me. Why no overflows? It is mental innit. Let's be fair and clear. It is blummin mental. There are so many insurance claims coz of water damaged bathrooms and kitchens, yet no overflows.
The plumbing board of NZ claims itself to be a world leader, yet the simple overflow system alludes them.

We have an upstairs bath. The waste flow from that, drops at a vertical. I mean a complete , straight down, vertical. So unsafe.
TBH, you could substitute the Plumbing Board for almost any other similar organisation over here and still they won't/don't take advice - just muddle along and what's worse you are considered a stirrer/arrogant/wrong if you say "how about doing it like this?" - that's NZ all over I'm afraid: "she'll be fine" is better than "learn from another country"......so I'm told.........

Last edited by lardyl; Nov 9th 2007 at 6:10 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:10 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Nerine
I dunno, it's something I've always wondered about since flooding the bathroom at our first rental!

The only thing I could think of with baths is that not having an overflow means you can fill the water level right up to your chin, without having to stick your foot over a hole to keep the water in. That theory doesn't hold water with sinks though

It's a strange one.
Bit like the arguments that a top loader allows you to top up the load as you go along and the ridiculous F&P ad suggesting that its worse for your back to unload a front loader than a top loader......typical head in the sand Kiwi-itis IMHO............
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:39 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Daft reason isn't it, half washed clothes, so hygienic

We had a top loader in our first rental, might as well have chucked the clothes into a cement mixer & poured a load of gravel in : same effect.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:11 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Nerine
Daft reason isn't it, half washed clothes, so hygienic

We had a top loader in our first rental, might as well have chucked the clothes into a cement mixer & poured a load of gravel in : same effect.
exactly and then some Kiwis harp on about how convenient it is to put your washing in halfway throug - irony is that it don't make much difference to how clean it ends up!!!
best thing is to hang it out in the summer sun afterwards - that will do a better job of sanitising kids clothes and bleaching them out, making the trips to the big red shed for more Chinese rubbish all the more frequent - worse luck.
Enjoy Oz, wish I could persuade MrsL that it is not an insect-infested, spider-ridden, snake-haven, full of poisonous jellies and fish.........
Only another 4 years or so of work to do for me to get her thinking straight .......
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:04 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

Enjoy Oz, wish I could persuade MrsL that it is not an insect-infested, spider-ridden, snake-haven, full of poisonous jellies and fish.........
Only another 4 years or so of work to do for me to get her thinking straight .......
Good luck, I am sure both countries would benefit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.