Reload this Page >

Single young IT professional

Single young IT professional

Old Oct 28th 2013, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

twandyrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single young IT professional

Hi Guys,

I'm a 26 year old graduate with about 3.5 years of experience working in IT in London. I'm getting a bit tired of London and am itching to try something new (also at the age where I can do it without any real ties). By luck of birth (my father grew up in NZ and the Cook Islands) I have a NZ passport, so there aren't really any visa issues I have to worry about.

Obviously one would imagine that I'm much more likely to find a job with my experience in Australia, but (probably the biggest) one of my reasons to head over to NZ is to spend some time and see the country where my father grew up.

How is the job market (specifically the IT job market)? Does anybody have any contacts for decent recruiters, or any specific advice or companies I could target?

Most of my experience is in C#, SQL Server, Powershell and Crystal Reports, almost entirely within the hedge fund/asset management sectors. I know that I'm unlikely to find many jobs in these sectors, but you never know...

Thinking of heading over early next year. From what I've heard Wellington or Auckland will basically be my only bet in terms of finding work?

Thankfully I will have a bit of money behind me, which should help, as I imagine it's extremely unlikely to get any job offers before actually landing.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Single young IT professional

I have put a couple of other posters in touch with a Recruitment Company I used to find work in Wellington. Send me a private message and I'll give you the details.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:41 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single young IT professional

Hiya and welcome to the NZ branch of B.E.

Whilst I would agree, that the majority of IT based jobs are based around Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch, we do use computers out in the sticks as well.

New Zealand is one of these places where you can find yourself, coming into the country with a particular skill set and a couple of years later you find yourself doing something completely different.

If you want to travel around and see the country, there are heaps of opportunities to get out and about, if you are flexible in what you are willing to do for work.

For more "serious" job opportunities check out

http://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs?jhabte...ategories-jobs

For temp/casual travel around the country work, check out

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/work_jobs/index.php

Good luck and happy travels.