British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   single in New Zealand! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/single-new-zealand-496155/)

samsheffield Nov 25th 2007 1:28 pm

single in New Zealand!

HI
l hope all is good with you. l am after a bit of advice. l am wanting to come over to live in Australia or New Zealand. l have the paperwork all done etc. l know New Zealand is very good for families. l am coming over alone early thirties single sociable sporty female. l have a job offer in Nelson never been .l want a place where its okay to be single and easy to meet people is nelson like that ie sports, groups to join, nightlife, age mix etc or wheres good?
Cheers
Sam

nelsonpom Nov 25th 2007 7:48 pm

Re: single in New Zealand!

Originally Posted by samsheffield (Post 5598262)
HI
l hope all is good with you. l am after a bit of advice. l am wanting to come over to live in Australia or New Zealand. l have the paperwork all done etc. l know New Zealand is very good for families. l am coming over alone early thirties single sociable sporty female. l have a job offer in Nelson never been .l want a place where its okay to be single and easy to meet people is nelson like that ie sports, groups to join, nightlife, age mix etc or wheres good?
Cheers
Sam

Hi Sam. Nelson fairly smallish city but I love it. Good mix of ages and ok nightlife. Lots and lots cafes and bars although does get very quiet in winter months. Plenty of sports and things to do and a lot of brits. Always hard to find new friends but as a single person you may find it easier as you will have to make more of an effort and not have your partner to rely on.
Any other questions fire away.
I love Nelson and especially the weather (33 c yesterday).
Darren

sol133 Nov 25th 2007 10:57 pm

Hi Sam
I arrived in Wellington from Sheffield (Handsworth) on my own at the beginning of November, and I'm finding everyone very friendly - quite a change from the UK. If you're sporty (I'm not!) I reckon you'll have no problems finding new mates, especially with kids in tow - they also help you find common ground. And if you have a job offer, you'll have your workmates to help you settle in. Good luck, and go for it, girl!

samsheffield Nov 27th 2007 11:55 am

Thanks to the two of you for your reply.
lt sounds great too good to miss!
Any other imput from locals welcome thanks.

Beachcombers Nov 27th 2007 8:19 pm

I lived in Nether Edge for ten years and had a great time in Sheffield. Miss having a pint down the Broadfield and the big night out's (Is "Bed" still going?).

Went travelling in 2001 and never made it back, ending up here in NZ. Work in the wine industry now, which is a million miles away from my IT days!

Nelson is a great city, we love going there for long weekends for concerts or to dance ourselves silly. It's a very different vibe, uniquely Kiwi, laid back and easy going.

Andrew Cross Nov 27th 2007 8:44 pm

Only been there on holiday but its a fabulous place. Fantastic cafe culture and lots of younger people there, great beaches etc. The kiwi's love sport so you are on to a winner straight away and no doubt make some great mates.. good luck..;)