British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Single mum looking to move to Welly! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/single-mum-looking-move-welly-752553/)

deblee Mar 23rd 2012 8:58 pm

Single mum looking to move to Welly!

Hi everyone,

What a great forum you have here...very informative and friendly too!!:thumbsup:

My name is Debra and I am a single mum to a beautiful 7 year old daughter! :D I am making plans to make the 'big move' to Wellington early 2013 and just wanted to say 'hello'.

My situation is a little bit different as I am a dual NZ/Brit citizen (please don't hold this against me ha ha) but I am defo a Brit through and through culture wise, having lived in England since the age of 2 (I'm now 40!!) so the move is as big for me as for everyone on here, please believe me :nod:

Even though I do not have the issue of having to apply for PR etc, I am hoping to get my mum out to NZ too and to do that have to jump through the same hoops that you other guys on here have to...I need to have lived in NZ for 6 months out of every year for last 3 years in order to sponsor her :thumbdown: Plus i have the added difficulty of being on my own, which makes it a teensy bit harder!

I'm living in Notts at the minute and soon to graduate from uni so if there is anyone out there looking to move to Wellington in the v near future then it would be great to chat!

Looking forward to reading all the fab posts on here :D

Deb

Boopy Mar 24th 2012 7:19 am

Re: Single mum looking to move to Welly!

Hiya Deb, I'm in Welly. Do you know where about you are looking to live? :)

deblee Mar 24th 2012 8:28 am

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me :D.

I'm really not sure which areas would be best just yet!! I need to do some more research first...I think it's probs more a case of which areas to avoid lol...can you give me any advice...where are you living? I was born in Porirua but I'm sure it has changed in 40 years :p not sure it is the best area is it? Parapara seems pretty popular but if I end up working in the city I'm not sure I want that kind of commute tbh. I'm looking for work in health promotion/public health so that will obviously have some bearing on where I look at!

How long you been in NZ and have you settled ok? :)

Teresa Green Mar 25th 2012 4:28 am

Hi Deb

I live in Paraparaumu and it is a long commute but i don't mind as we definitely get the better weather here and the trains (at the moment) are reliable.

Good luck with your plans

MrsFychan Mar 25th 2012 7:39 am

We're in Pukerua Bay so a little closer than Paraparamu. the commute is easy enough to Wellington or up to Waikanae but as you say it depends where you can get work.
Keep in touch and I'm sure we can all meet up once you are over here

deblee Mar 26th 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Teresa Green (Post 9970948)
Hi Deb

I live in Paraparaumu and it is a long commute but i don't mind as we definitely get the better weather here and the trains (at the moment) are reliable.

Good luck with your plans

Hi and thanks! :D

It's been really interesting and useful finding out about the differences in weather between Wellington and other areas not so far away. My mum lived in Titahi Bay for 7 years and didn't have a clue!! :blink:

It will be nice to have some contacts for when we make the move :thumbsup:
xx

deblee Mar 26th 2012 9:22 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 9971076)
We're in Pukerua Bay so a little closer than Paraparamu. the commute is easy enough to Wellington or up to Waikanae but as you say it depends where you can get work.
Keep in touch and I'm sure we can all meet up once you are over here

Hi there, thanks for the info. I'm open to any area really as I don't have my heart set on anywhere in particular...just fancy being close to Wellington :)
I'm also looking at doing a part-time postgrad course at Otago uni, Wellington campus so another reason to be reasonably close...as always though, everything depends on jobs and finances of course!! I'm looking at openings with the District health Boards and similar so we'll see :fingerscrossed:

Will defo keep in touch xx

Boopy Mar 28th 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by deblee (Post 9969788)
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me :D.

I'm really not sure which areas would be best just yet!! I need to do some more research first...I think it's probs more a case of which areas to avoid lol...can you give me any advice...where are you living? I was born in Porirua but I'm sure it has changed in 40 years :p not sure it is the best area is it? Parapara seems pretty popular but if I end up working in the city I'm not sure I want that kind of commute tbh. I'm looking for work in health promotion/public health so that will obviously have some bearing on where I look at!

How long you been in NZ and have you settled ok? :)

Hiya Deblee, I love Porirua, fab shops, friendly people, CCDHB community hospital & huge mental health services. Like most cities / towns, there are good & not so good places to live in, but the bad areas are no where as bad as the bad areas in UK. I live in Porirua City, in Papakowhai, been here for 6 years. The weather is generally better & warmer than the city. We have good park & ride trains into the city for easy commuting. I work in health care, so any questions... fire away? :)

Rosemary Mar 31st 2012 2:24 pm

Hello and a big welcome to the New Zealand section of BE from the Consierge in Spain.

You will find excellent information in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

BE Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font. Also there are Consierges who can support and guide you.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary