Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines vs Emirates or other.

Singapore Airlines vs Emirates or other.

Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore Airlines vs Emirates or other.

Hi there
I'm soon coming out to nz to work. I'm looking at flights. I'm in the UK. Would be flying from London Heathrow to Christchurch.
Ideally I would like to take with me in addition to my suitcase and hand luggage, a bicycle.
Emirates seems more expensive than Singapore Airlines and the flight also takes longer so I don't quite understand this.
I'm just wondering if there's an airline anyone would recommend? Perhaps theres one that has extra baggage allowance?
Many thanks!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Airlines vs Emirates or other.

It depends on your combination of bags and whether you need to pay extra. Both those airlines allow up to 30kg including your bike. But anything above that is USD$85 per kg

Air NZ allow a single bag of 23kg, but you can buy an extra bag for 90 pounds which takes it to 46kg

American Airlines allows 2 x 23kg bags.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CatLady1234
Emirates seems more expensive than Singapore Airlines and the flight also takes longer so I don't quite understand this.
I'm just wondering if there's an airline anyone would recommend? Perhaps theres one that has extra baggage allowance?
Many thanks!

Emirates takes longer as there are two stops; Dubai and Melbourne. It would have to be considerably cheaper before I would even consider it, as you are adding in that extra step and all that entails in getting off and waiting to get onto another plane, more security / processing, queuing etc.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Ria_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to allRia_ is a name known to all

I read somewhere (probably here), that some airlines do packages for new migrants which allow extra baggage allowance.

I know Qantas are partnered with ANZ to allow an additional 15kg per person at no extra charge (for 45kg total), if you create a bank account with ANZ. I believe they have migrant banking packages.

Sources:
Migrant Fares from the UK | Qantas
https://www.anz.co.nz/personal/accou...nking-package/

I haven't looked into what other deals there are for UK migrants yet, just making note if I stumble across anything as I won't be flying for another year at least.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think bikes are cheap anywhere really, so it would be worth bringing if it's got reasonable value.

As a frequent traveller to the US, Asia and Australia, NZ isn't too bad for prices as long as you buy on special
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

I recently flew on China Southern Airlines from LHR-AKL in cattle class and back via Guangzhou (they also fly to Christchurch) and journey went fine without any dramas. They do some cracking fares to NZ and allow 2 x 23kg checked in luggage allowance. One of the reasons why i chose CZ was so that i could have a 12-24hrs rest in a hotel at Guangzhou (roughly mid-point between UK and NZ) as I don't think i could do a non-stop flight from the Gulf to NZ in cattle class....uuuurgghhhh. China visa (up to 72 hrs) & hotel is provided free of charge by CZ.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Emirates takes longer as there are two stops; Dubai and Melbourne. It would have to be considerably cheaper before I would even consider it, as you are adding in that extra step and all that entails in getting off and waiting to get onto another plane, more security / processing, queuing etc.
I'd pay extra for that, I'm over spending hours in planes and would rather break a journey up. I'd even be happy doing Akl-Mel-Sin-Dubai-Europe rather than an 18 hour flight to Dubai
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
I'm soon coming out to nz to work. I'm looking at flights. I'm in the UK. Would be flying from London Heathrow to Christchurch.
Ideally I would like to take with me in addition to my suitcase and hand luggage, a bicycle.
Many thanks!
When we flew over in 2011, we were allowed 40kg per person as long as we showed Singapore Airlines our visa at Heathrow. I'm not 100% certain if they still do it, but it's worth checking.

There's also many excellent deals where you can have a 3 night stop over in Singapore. We flew back at Christmas to London for $6000 a few years back, which included 3 nights in Singapore. Great place to stop over if you haven't visited. I'm sure it'll be similar in UK pounds.

If you're coming to Christchurch, Singapore Airlines is a no brainer for European flights. Excellent connection times to Christchurch and only one stop. As much as I like Emirates, the London to Dubai leg is a killer!!!!!

If you're arriving between October and April, check out Cathay Pacific. They're flying direct to Christchurch this year in our summer months. Another excellent airline to use.

Last edited by Tom H; Aug 8th 2017 at 10:10 am.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Singapore air had a deal if you were emigrating you could bring 40 kg - we had 2 toddlers so that was 160 kg plus hand luggage plus a double buggy!!! Savage amount of stuff.

We found them really good.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Singapore air had a deal if you were emigrating you could bring 40 kg - we had 2 toddlers so that was 160 kg plus hand luggage plus a double buggy!!! Savage amount of stuff.

We found them really good.
Oh this could be worth looking at for us, we also have a double buggy to bring 🙈
Old Aug 10th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scottishedo
Oh this could be worth looking at for us, we also have a double buggy to bring 🙈
Buggies are usually free anyway
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going out on a work to residence visa to NZ.

Are these extra baggage allowances still available from airlines for those emigrating?

I am unsure if my visa would qualify though, it lasts for 3 years then I can apply for residence.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am going out on a work to residence visa to NZ.

Are these extra baggage allowances still available from airlines for those emigrating?

I am unsure if my visa would qualify though, it lasts for 3 years then I can apply for residence.
You'd probably need to check with the individual airlines for their current policy.