Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines baggage allowance

Singapore airlines baggage allowance

Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Singapore airlines baggage allowance

Hi everyone,
We have flights booked to Auckland on 29th March and were hoping to get an additional baggage allowance. However when I spoke to Singapore airlines customer service thay told me they don't give an extra allowance to New Zealand, only Australia!
Does anyone else have any recent experience of this? People I have spoken to all said Singapore airlines would give you additional allowance, have they changed their policy recently?
Mark
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Singapore airlines baggage allowance

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi everyone,
We have flights booked to Auckland on 29th March and were hoping to get an additional baggage allowance. However when I spoke to Singapore airlines customer service thay told me they don't give an extra allowance to New Zealand, only Australia!
Does anyone else have any recent experience of this? People I have spoken to all said Singapore airlines would give you additional allowance, have they changed their policy recently?
Mark
Mark,

I was under the same inpression as you regarding additional baggage allowance on Singapore Air if you were emigrating. AND was planning on flying with them!!!
Will do some checking and let you know what I find out!

Dave
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

Hi Mark!
We flew out with Singapore Airlines in Dec 06.
We booked with Thomas Cooks and they gave us 25kg luggage allowance plus 7kg hand luggage each.
However, we phoned them direct later, and they increased that to 30kg luggage for 3 of us,(there are 4 of us!)but that was fine. BUT, when we got to the airport, we knew we had excess and the lovely lady at the check in desk allowed us 150kg between us when we told her we were emigrating!
I guess you cant bank on that though. We just decided we were taking what we had and would just pay the excess regardless. Glad we didnt have to though as it is £30 per kilo!!! :scared: Daylight robbery if you ask me!
Hope that helps
Good luck
Love Cathy xxxx
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

SIA allowed us 30kg each, we actually had 121kg between three, plus child seat, buggy and about 15kg of hand baggage. Had a real struggle finding a big enough taxi in Singapore!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

BobK will become famous soon enoughBobK will become famous soon enough

Just as another point of reference, Emirates allowed us 40Kg each including hand luggage if we could prove that we were permanently emigrating. This all had to done in advance, but no problems at the airports when we checked in. This was 40Kg each, 2 adults and two toddlers, 160Kg total. That's a very big pile of luggage. On the last leg from Sydney to Chch we were exactly on the 160Kg limit, since we (my wife) bought some extra stuff en route. Emirates were very good all round actually, certainly on a par with Singapore.

cheers

Bob

(6 weeks in Chch and counting, just moved to Kaiapoi last Saturday)
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Thanks Cathy, Dave, Lapsed Kiwi and Bob for your replies.
I think I'm going to ring them again and show them how assertive I am. Or maybe I'll get my wife to do it....
A friend of ours just flew out to Australia (on SIA) and was allowed 40kilos. To add insult to injury she only used about half of it!!!
Cheers,
Mark
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markk
Thanks Cathy, Dave, Lapsed Kiwi and Bob for your replies.
I think I'm going to ring them again and show them how assertive I am. Or maybe I'll get my wife to do it....
A friend of ours just flew out to Australia (on SIA) and was allowed 40kilos. To add insult to injury she only used about half of it!!!
Cheers,
Mark

Can you let me know how you get on , we are flying out with singapore on the 7th April & only allowed 20k each plus hand luggage. Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poppets
Can you let me know how you get on , we are flying out with singapore on the 7th April & only allowed 20k each plus hand luggage. Thanks
Will do!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Air NZ via LA and the luggage allowance is 64KG each.... great if youre emigrating. We had nowhere near our total allowance.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SarahB
We flew Air NZ via LA and the luggage allowance is 64KG each.... great if youre emigrating. We had nowhere near our total allowance.
Yep, I had heard that AirNZ were extremely good for migrants, that sounds like a way to go! Having flown Emirates before, I would be very happy to use them too. That AirNZ allowance sounds VERY tempting though... my wife will probably try & squeeze the kitchen sink in if you know what I mean!!!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Hi There
I am confused, rang emirates yesterday they said yes to an extra 20kg free per person if we have a residence visa, total 40 kg, hubby rang today about something else but did want to clarify this and was told you only get extra if you are a migrant but not if you have a residence visa, does anyone have any idea what that's all about. Are we migrants with a residency visa?? What has everyone else done?

Tracey
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
Yep, I had heard that AirNZ were extremely good for migrants, that sounds like a way to go! Having flown Emirates before, I would be very happy to use them too. That AirNZ allowance sounds VERY tempting though... my wife will probably try & squeeze the kitchen sink in if you know what I mean!!!
Air NZ are great, trouble is you have to transit through LA which is a nightmare. We had to collect our baggage (even though we were not leaving the airport) and go through immigration. Don't know if they still do this, maybe someone who has done this route recently may know. But it certainly put me off using this route in future. If you have kids and a huge amount of baggage it would be a complete pain.
SIA are great, try again for the baggage allowance, sometimes it just depends who you get on the end of the phone.
Emirates also very good, except they stop in Dubai and Singapore, Brisbane then Auckland. They don't actually mention the Singapore stop unless you ask. Great if you like getting on and off planes but not if you want to sleep.
Good luck with your choice
KAZ
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:18 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember though is a new rule was brought in recently, not sure about anywhere else in the world, but definately UK that no one piece of baggage can be over 32kg - health & safety regs. apparently
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Air NZ are great, trouble is you have to transit through LA which is a nightmare. We had to collect our baggage (even though we were not leaving the airport) and go through immigration. Don't know if they still do this, maybe someone who has done this route recently may know. But it certainly put me off using this route in future. If you have kids and a huge amount of baggage it would be a complete pain.
SIA are great, try again for the baggage allowance, sometimes it just depends who you get on the end of the phone.
Emirates also very good, except they stop in Dubai and Singapore, Brisbane then Auckland. They don't actually mention the Singapore stop unless you ask. Great if you like getting on and off planes but not if you want to sleep.
Good luck with your choice
KAZ
Yep, Air NZ were good. You can have 2 pieces of luggage each, each not weighing over 32kg. We booked our infant in as a child so he had his own seat and also the same luggage allowance as us. One of his suitcases filled with nappys and clothes and one filled with his favourite toys... it was good. They were accommodating with all the toddler hand luggage we had too.

We stopped off in LA for 3 days so not sure what happens if you just have a touchdown... but as we had an infant with us we were rushed through any queues like we were in LHR... they are very thorough there at LAX but you know why they have to be.

No regrets going with AirNZ and would definately recommend them.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

BobK will become famous soon enoughBobK will become famous soon enough

G'Day,

We had the same confusion with Emirates regarding Migrant/Permanent Residence visa. If you have the lovely blue sticker in your passports that says Permanent Residence then you'll be fine. They will need to see photocopies of all your families passports to verify this. There is certainly confusion surrounding the issue within Emirates but persevere and you'll be sweet as.

Absolutely right about the 32Kg limit for a single item of baggage and it's vigorously enforced aswell, don't be tempted to squeeze 33Kg in as they'll make you unpack at the checkin, we saw this happen. Use a set of bathroom scales to weigh stuff. Stand on them, note weight, pick up bag and note weight then do the sums.

Oh yeah, our flight with Emirates was from Manchester - Dubai, Dubai - Sydney (long) and then Sydney - Christchurch. No stop in Singapore.

cheers

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.